NCAAF

oldtimer

5 hours ago, willland said:

I agree with this.  Manning was a very disciplined student of the game.  He approached the position like a scientist/engineer taking every detail into consideration.  He made those around him into better players.  Good genes did not hurt either.

Brady had/has swag and charisma and was/is determined to prove every detractor wrong about his physical attributes(excluding his face, that's a given) and college experience.  Add all that to going to a team with a coach with a genius football mind and a system that extracted talents that on paper did not appear Brady possessed.  He just got better in all aspects as he matured.  Like Manning, Brady helped lift his supporting cast to levels they may not have been able to achieve in another system.

This is my take and I am sticking to it.:P

Go Broncos and Falcons.

Bill

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

@Ceptorman 

It can't be argued; Brady is prettier the Manning. The rest of your analysis also makes sense to me.

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The alternative is just as valid.  One of the best QB's (at least in his era) was said to be Peyton's dad, Archie Manning who played for the god-awful Saints. 

Archie never reached any success as a QB because the offensive line was so bad he was running for his life on every pass play!

The Patriots have a talent for picking up or drafting an unknown player and turning him into a star.

My Spartans have a bye week before playing Notre Dame at home at night on 9/23.  ND plays Boston College on the road on Saturday, so I'll keep an eye on that game Saturday, as well as some others.

My apologies to @oldtimer for my contribution to thread drift to NFL quarterback comparisons.  I also apologize for mentioning Heisman winner Tim Tebow as another total bust as a pro.  Winning the Heisman is almost a curse.

Now back to college football.  Clemson vs. Louisville, and Wisconsin vs. BYU should be interesting.  OSU vs. Army seems to be 9/16/17's premier mismatch.

New top 10 is out:

BIG drop for Ohio State.
I guess AP see going 2-0 against lesser teams carries more weight than 1-1 with a loss to  a top 5 team ( Oklahoma)

1) Alabama
2) Oklahoma
3) Clemson
4) USC
5) Penn State :thumb:
6) Washington
7) Michigan
8 ) Ohio State
9) Oklahoma State
10) Wisconsin

22 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Lots of great college football today. Be sure you check out the ending to the Florida Tennessee game. Awesome final play.

I missed it but I understand it was a 65 yard hail mary.  I'm sure it will be on SC.

I'm watching Clemson at Louisville right now.  I'd like to see how Texas does against #4 So Cal.  A win for the Longhorns would give the Big 12 conference some good credibility outside the conference.

Not so confident yet here on my Fighting Tigers, slow starts (nice if it's Dean Smith-like sandbagging?) offensive line obviously needs to tighten up some. Bryant had that beautiful 79 yd td pass last night, he can still get better by the holidays!

It appears to me winning the Heisman is not what it used to be.   There seem to be more busts, Tebow, Manziel, Crouch, et al, than successes, Woodson, Howard, Sanders, et al.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Heisman_Trophy_winners

No team jumps out as clearly superior.  Each of the traditional powerhouses has weaknesses.

Next Saturday MSU plays ND in East Lansing.  I expect it to be interesting.  Brian Kelly is my least favorite college coach.  I'll be attending my third, and final, 50th HS reunion that evening so I won't be able to watch the game.

There was an interesting story on ESPN about college offensive linemen. The pros are having trouble finding O line players that are equipped to work in a pro system. The college teams that do well with a running QB, aren't prepping those linemen to do well in a pro environment, especially if that team has a traditional drop back throwing offense. Not many college linemen have done well in the draft recently.