NCAAF

oldtimer

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia! for you Brady Bunch Fans

Harbaugh, Harbaugh, Harbaugh!

Enough about him. What about James Franklin? Took a team devastated by sanctions and in 3 years beat Ohio State,  won the Big 10 East, a Big 10 Championship, went to the Rose Bowl ( and lost) and is going to a New Years bowl this year.

Many Wolverine fans must be scratching their heads. Cant help but compare the paths of both Harbaugh and Franklin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Harbaugh is not going anywhere

I thought I heard that Harbaugh either offered to sign or was offered a "lifetime" contract at Michigan? Although we have come to know college coaching contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on. Keep in mind I do not follow college ball that closely. 

What Franklin has achieved is remarkable, especially under the post Paterno/Sandusky circumstances.

Dantonio's reversal of fortune is also worthy of note.  Going from 3-9 to 9-3 in a single season is extraordinary.

Paul Chryst is probably going to be the B1G coach of the year for coaching the Badgers to 12-0.  Even if Wisconsin loses to OSU, Chryst will probably still be named coach of the year.  Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, P.J. Fleck and the others do not need to polish acceptance speeches this season.

18 hours ago, richieb said:

I thought I heard that Harbaugh either offered to sign or was offered a "lifetime" contract at Michigan? Although we have come to know college coaching contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on. Keep in mind I do not follow college ball that closely. 

fake news as per Harbaugh

17 hours ago, DizRotus said:

What Franklin has achieved is remarkable, especially under the post Paterno/Sandusky circumstances.

Dantonio's reversal of fortune is also worthy of note.  Going from 3-9 to 9-3 in a single season is extraordinary.

Paul Chryst is probably going to be the B1G coach of the year for coaching the Badgers to 12-0.  Even if Wisconsin loses to OSU, Chryst will probably still be named coach of the year.  Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, P.J. Fleck and the others do not need to polish acceptance speeches this season.

True, but Harbaugh  will still be in the headlines. Is he a victim of overexposure/overhype or does he bring this upon himself?

8 minutes ago, EmilC said:

True, but Harbaugh  will still be in the headlines. Is he a victim of overexposure/overhype or does he bring this upon himself?

Mostly the latter.  Remember when he pissed off the Wolverine slappies by implying that academic standards for football players at Stanford are more rigorous than those at UM?

18 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Agreed.  If you beat TWO #1's, what more can you do?

16 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Win all of your other games.

^ this and ^ ^ that.  as a former student (not alum but I did enroll a couple of times.  even bought books once, I think) I am a bit biased.  but if we (Auburn) doesn't beat uGa again this coming Sat to win the SEC, we don't deserve to be in any CFP consideration.  so what @oldtimer said is exactly correct.  need to win out through the end of the season + conf champ games to be considered for any playoff business.

• Like 1

My sister-in-law teaches reading to adults, mostly immigrants for whom English is a second language.  She has also taught reading to former scholarship football player graduates of MSU and UM who could only read at 4th grade level.  It’s criminal that high schools and colleges produce “graduates” unable to read above 4th grade.

To put things into perspective, her youngest son was a walk-on tight end at Arizona. Academics were not his strength.  He benefitted from the academic support available to the football team.  Admitting those who need assistance to get up to speed is OK, whether or not athletes, but graduating people who can’t read is wrong.

Big 10 Football standings by graduation rates.

Interesting that Ohio State is the worst in the conference.  Hmmmmm?

I'm sure every university does its best and provides what is needed for their players to graduate. The question is was the player unwilling or just unable to do college material.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/psu/mc-spt-penn-state-football-graduation-rates-20171108-story.html

BIG TEN EAST

BIG TEN WEST

2 hours ago, EmilC said:

Interesting that Ohio State is the worst in the conference.  Hmmmmm?

Unfortunately, MSU was right on the Buckeyes' tails; they should do better.  As you suggest, graduation rates alone are not the be all and end all.  Magic Johnson and Le' Veon Bell never graduated, and Miles Bridges will not graduate on time, if ever.  But, it is still a valid comparison between schools.  I love to hear when a former pro athlete returns to complete his/her undergrad degree.

My undergrad years at MSU were spent in Jame Madison College, a residential college within the university.  My academic advisor was George Will, so my experience was not typical  I recall a conversation with a scholarship wrestler on our way to practice, "If I flunk prep-English again, I'll lose my scholarship."  That was scary to hear.  Most German Shepherds could pass prep-English.