NCAAF

oldtimer

8 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

A very impressive first main week for college football.  Let's all just look for a fun and entertaining season and good luck to you guy's team, mine's will be in the final 4!

Hey Jimjimbo!

Derrick has already predicted tOSU will be in the final four after one game:P 

Then again, Derrick may be right but there's still 11 games to play.

Still questionable whether tOSU deserved to be in the playoffs over PSU last year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Exciting conclusion.  Sorry Dave.

There were THREE holding penalties on the last play of the game against the Mountaineers!  They had NO CHANCE to win the game with their talent when they make bone-head penalties like that, that's ridiculous.

The QB who was a transfer from Florida looked good at times but the team has to play smarter.  While driving for a TD on 3rd and 1 there was a hold AND a 15 yard penalty on the head coach for his SECOND sideline violation!  They went from 3rd and 1 to 3rd and 26 back at the 50!  

Stupid penalties at the worst time sunk the ship for WVU.  

35 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Hey, if I don't make any jabs, there will be no rivalrie, .no hype and just a bunch of boring games.  Michigan did look impressive and Jim and I both will be watching the game late Nov., lol.Free Laughing animated emoticon

Yes. We. Will.....I think a friendly wager is in order

Watched a lot of interesting games for sure.  I'm a PSU Big Ten fan first, but love college football across the board.  It's still going to be a few weeks to get a feel for who's got what, although Alabama pumps out defensive players like it's a factory and Michigan's defense had a much more mature look than I expected, based on the lack of returning players.  I have no clue what PSU's defense has or doesn't after playing the mighty Zips, but I knew going in that we would be able to score points.  We will have a much better idea about OSU after this week for sure, but I don't think they'll be in the playoffs this year after PSU and Michigan beat them.:D

On 9/4/2017 at 8:06 PM, jimjimbo said:

Yes. We. Will.....I think a friendly wager is in order

For you guys that don't know, Jim and I are friends.  But, I think a regional pizza is in order for a wager, lol.  Jim can't complain, they have Tom Brady  who has to be the greatest quarterback to leave the Big Ten and have the greatest Pro career ever.

20 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

For you guys that don't know, Jim and I are friends.  But, I think a regional pizza is in order for a wager, lol.  Jim can't complain, they have Tom Brady  who has to be the greatest quarterback to leave the Big Ten and have the greatest Pro career ever.

Well since the last time Michigan beat tOSU was 2011, I would take that bet.......with mushrooms:lol:

• Like 1

On 9/5/2017 at 10:38 PM, derrickdj1 said:

True, I would put Brees second.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2017 at 4:26 AM, Ceptorman said:

True, I would put Brees second.

For now, I agree with Brady and Brees.  When Derrick first praised Brady as the best B1G qb in the pros,  it made me think about who is second.  Brees seems to be the correct answer.

It really reminded me of how the most critical position in pro football seems to frequently reward those who were not superstars in college.  Viewed from the opposite perspective, how many Heisman winning quarterbacks have been busts in the NFL?  Andre Ware and Eric Crouch come quickly to mind.

Naturally, agreement on the 10 best pro quarterbacks is impossible, but the 10 on the list linked below, plus Aaron Rogers, are clearly worthy of consideration, although the order might shuffle.

• 1a) Tom Brady;
  • 1b) Joe Montana;
  • 3) Peyton Manning;
  • 4) Johnny Unitas;
  • 5) Otto Graham;
  • 6) Dan Marino;
  • 7) Roger Staubach;
  • 8) John Elway;
  • 9) Brett Favre; 
  • 10) Drew Brees; and
  • 11) Aaron Rodgers

Probably Elway and Peyton Manning had the best notoriety coming out of big time programs, Stanford and Tennessee, respectively.  Brady had success at Michigan -- a big time program by anyone's estimation -- but don't forget he platooned with Drew (couldn't hit a major league breaking ball) Henson in '98 and '99.  Brady was clearly overlooked in the pro draft.

Look at others on the list.  Their eventual pro success was not seen at the beginning of their careers.  Most were not high draft choices.  What makes a successful pro quarterback is not the same as what makes a successful college quarterback.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000724524/article/tom-brady-joe-montana-head-top-10-quarterbacks-in-nfl-history

• Like 1

I am a Big Ten fan and it does not matter which team as a chance for the National title. if it is a Big Ten team, I'm 100% behind them.  I don't know how high you can take this but, the SCC , SEC , PAC 12 and all have great schools and this needs to be kept in perspective.  They all are producing America's future and have great programs.  This is not about sports and just a friendly rivalry in a schools extra curricular activity to make things more exciting for the young people representing that school.

4 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I am a Big Ten fan and it does not matter which team as a chance for the National title. if it is a Big Ten team, I'm 100% behind them.  I don't know how high you can take this but, the SCC , SEC , PAC 12 and all have great schools and this needs to be kept in perspective.  They all are producing America's future and have great programs.  This is not about sports and just a friendly rivalry in a schools extra curricular activity to make things more exciting for the young people representing that school.

I feel the same way. I'm a Big10 fan. If Iowa is playing UCLA, I pull for Iowa. I'm primarily an Indiana fan, just wish their football program could take the next step. They have been close to beating a few prominent teams in the past couple years, but can't quite close the deal.

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

For now, I agree with Brady and Brees.  When Derrick first praised Brady as the best B1G qb in the pros,  it made me think about who is second.  Brees seems to be the correct answer.

It really reminded me of how the most critical position in pro football seems to frequently reward those who were not superstars in college.  Viewed from the opposite perspective, how many Heisman winning quarterbacks have been busts in the NFL?  Andre Ware and Eric Crouch come quickly to mind.

Naturally, agreement on the 10 best pro quarterbacks is impossible, but the 10 on the list linked below, plus Aaron Rogers, are clearly worthy of consideration, although the order might shuffle.

• 1a) Tom Brady;
  • 1b) Joe Montana;
  • 3) Peyton Manning;
  • 4) Johnny Unitas;
  • 5) Otto Graham;
  • 6) Dan Marino;
  • 7) Roger Staubach;
  • 8) John Elway;
  • 9) Brett Favre; 
  • 10) Drew Brees; and
  • 11) Aaron Rogers

Probably Elway and Peyton Manning had the best notoriety coming out of big time programs, Stanford and Tennessee, respectively.  Brady had success at Michigan -- a big time program by anyone's estimation -- but don't forget he platooned with Drew (couldn't hit a major league breaking ball) Henson in '98 and '99.  Brady was clearly overlooked in the pro draft.

Look at others on the list.  Their eventual pro success was not seen at the beginning of their careers.  Most were not high draft choices.  What makes a successful pro quarterback is not the same as what makes a successful college quarterback.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000724524/article/tom-brady-joe-montana-head-top-10-quarterbacks-in-nfl-history

All good points, well said.

I find it interesting that some pro scouts, recruiters, and general managers can pick a college QB that didn't have a great college career, but turn out to have a spectacular pro career....Brady would be at the top of that list. Even Brady's combine performance wasn't all that great, and he looked frail in his combine photos. What do the pro guys see to make that prediction? I think a lot of their success has to do with the not so much their talent, but how that particular QB fits in with their program. 

I know I'll catch flack for this....but I think Brady's success has to do with the team he landed on, and less about his talent. I think Peyton Manning is a better QB :o