NCAAF

oldtimer

16 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

All good points, well said.

I find it interesting that some pro scouts, recruiters, and general managers can pick a college QB that didn't have a great college career, but turn out to have a spectacular pro career....Brady would be at the top of that list. Even Brady's combine performance wasn't all that great, and he looked frail in his combine photos. What do the pro guys see to make that prediction? I think a lot of their success has to do with the not so much their talent, but how that particular QB fits in with their program. 

I think it's remarkable that those scouts that find those kind of guys are able to project what they could be.  and then I think to some extent, sell those finds to team mgmt to get them on board with their find.  if I could only pick one or two stocks like they choose players...

I think Brady's success has to do with the team he landed on, and less about his talent. I think Peyton Manning is a better QB :o

probably right about Brady's success. related to the system he was brought into.

whether or not Peyton is a better QB or not I guess depends on how you look at them, which numbers you favor over others, etc.

Just now, -js- said:

I think it's remarkable that those scouts that find those kind of guys are able to project what they could be.  and then I think to some extent, sell those finds to team mgmt to get them on board with their find.  if I could only pick one or two stocks like they choose players...

probably right about Brady's success. related to the system he was brought into.

whether or not Peyton is a better QB or not I guess depends on how you look at them, which numbers you favor over others, etc.

Yea some GM's are like fortune tellers. 

I think if you could switch Manning and Brady right out of college, Manning would've done better. I don't think Brady can carry a team like Manning. You could have placed a few QBs with the Patriots, and they would've still won a bunch of Superbowls.

4 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I think Bradshaw needs to be on that list.

agree.  another to be considered for the discussion - Fouts.  used to LOVE to watch him scramble.  he & Winslow - hard combo to beat.  just seems like I remember the Bolts always had to do things the hard way.  (and yes - I know, and remember Swann & Stallworth)  

and the Pitt - SD games?  I don't recall any in particular, but dontya know there were some great ones between those 2 ?

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I think Bradshaw needs to be on that list.

Bradshaw was like a tank! Used to hate it when the stadium turned gold & black every time they came here (USAir moved here in the late 70s)

First time the pats came here after we helped them win the SB in Houston our big defensive line made them go three and out multiple times at MY end of the field, we jeered brady egged on our D it was about 99 degrees and he was a p*s#-poor loser that day for sure!

My memory isn't perfect too much stress too, need help. Which one of those mentioned the last day here got his jaw broken in the first half of a game and finished the game without it ruining his accuracy...Rothlesberger? or Manning? That was about 15 years ago and I used to remember it easily. Think it was Peyton but not sure right now.

** Had time, found it was Manning in 2001... he was amazing to say the least.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/NFL-Notebook-Broken-jaw-won-t-stop-Manning-1071572.php

Edited by JohnJ
OT answer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Bradshaw was like a tank! Used to hate it when the stadium turned gold & black every time they came here (USAir moved here in the late 70s)

First time the pats came here after we helped them win the SB in Houston our big defensive line made them go three and out multiple times at MY end of the field, we jeered brady egged on our D it was about 99 degrees and he was a p*s#-poor loser that day for sure!

My memory isn't perfect too much stress too, need help. Which one of those mentioned the last day here got his jaw broken in the first half of a game and finished the game without it ruining his accuracy...Rothlesberger? or Manning? That was about 15 years ago and I used to remember it easily. Think it was Peyton but not sure right now.

I haven't heard about anyone playing with a broken jaw, sounds painful.

I watched quite a few Colts games. I would show up at least an hour early, to watch Manning with his precision passes. 

I remember him and Edgerrin James practicing a sideline pass play. Manning kept slightly overthrowing James, I thought Manning's timing was off. 

During the game, Manning threw a pass to James down the sideline, it looked too far. The last second James reaches up and makes a one handed catch!

Manning had the pass down to the last inch, where only James could catch it, with only one hand, it was pretty amazing.

• Like 1

OSU falls to OU in the Horseshoe.  Duke hammers Northwestern.  Otherwise things went pretty much as expected in B1G.  Wisconsin, Michigan, and MSU got past lesser opponents Florida Atlantic, Cincinnati, and WMU, respectively. Probably the B1Ggest surprise was Rutgers losing to Eastern Michigan in Piscataway.  That was EMU's first victory over a B1G team, although it deserves an asterisk desingnating Rutgers as, *B1G-lite.

There is an interesting program on BTN celebrating the network's 10th anniversary.  A somewhat counter intuitive analysis posits the 9/1/2007 Wolverines' upset by Appalachian State as the springboard to BTN's success.  After broadcasting what is one of the, if not the, biggest upsets in college football history, the network was swamped with requests for game footage, and cable systems contacted BTN for the rights to carry the new network.

Mark Silverman, who earned an MBA from Michigan, is the president of BTN, and was on 9/1/2007 when it first went live.  Silverman was excited about going on the air, but shocked and disappointed when App State took down the Wolverines.  That disappointment was quickly replaced by elation as he saw the notoriety his fledgling network gained from broadcasting such a huge upset.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2017 at 1:15 PM, Ceptorman said:

I know I'll catch flack for this....but I think Brady's success has to do with the team he landed on, and less about his talent. I think Peyton Manning is a better QB :o

I agree with this.  Manning was a very disciplined student of the game.  He approached the position like a scientist/engineer taking every detail into consideration.  He made those around him into better players.  Good genes did not hurt either.

Brady had/has swag and charisma and was/is determined to prove every detractor wrong about his physical attributes(excluding his face, that's a given) and college experience.  Add all that to going to a team with a coach with a genius football mind and a system that extracted talents that on paper did not appear Brady possessed.  He just got better in all aspects as he matured.  Like Manning, Brady helped lift his supporting cast to levels they may not have been able to achieve in another system.

This is my take and I am sticking to it.:P

Go Broncos and Falcons.

Bill

• Like 1

On 9/7/2017 at 1:15 PM, Ceptorman said:

I know I'll catch flack for this....but I think Brady's success has to do with the team he landed on, and less about his talent. I think Peyton Manning is a better QB :o

The alternative is just as valid.  One of the best QB's (at least in his era) was said to be Peyton's dad, Archie Manning who played for the god-awful Saints. 

Archie never reached any success as a QB because the offensive line was so bad he was running for his life on every pass play!

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Yeah, but Manning is funnier than Brady.  Be sure and watch his Superbowl party vid as well.

As my late father would say, describing Peyton as being funnier than Tom is damning with faint praise.  Gisele is funnier than Tom, but then, she comes from a long line of famous German comedians.

• Like 1

Going to be some movement in the top 10 for sure.  OSU needs to drop to at least 9-13, although that rarely seems to happen for some reason.  PSU should hold, but not move up, it was a win, but they have some work to do for sure.  How many freaking times do you have to see a shovel pass up the middle to adjust?  Why in the world wouldn't you give the ball to Barkley more and further open up the passing game is beyond me for sure.  Oklahoma should be up in the top 4, USC looked much better but I was pulling for Stanford, I just like that program.  Gotta love college ball.

18 minutes ago, Pete H said:

OSU needs to drop to at least 9-13, although that rarely seems to happen for some reason.  PSU should hold, but not move up, it was a win, but they have some work to do for sure.

Oklahoma will be the new #2 after crushing the former #2 on the road.  Ohio State will drop 6 places to eighth.

There is still plenty of football to be played to figure out the top four national semi-finalists.

+++

The big question here is, did Baker Mayfield just make himself the Heisman frontrunner?  I think Yes.

+++

Even more importantly, did West Virginia just climb back into the top 25 after taking a 49-3 lead at half-time?  I think it was to WVU's credit they did not feel the need to beat East Carolina 98-3 just for style points which they easily could have done.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

Oklahoma will be the new #2 after crushing the former #2 on the road.  Ohio State will drop 6 places to eighth.

There is still plenty of football to be played to figure out the top four national semi-finalists.

For sure, many things will change over the next few weeks. 

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

Going to be some movement in the top 10 for sure.  OSU needs to drop to at least 9-13, although that rarely seems to happen for some reason.  PSU should hold, but not move up, it was a win, but they have some work to do for sure.  How many freaking times do you have to see a shovel pass up the middle to adjust?  Why in the world wouldn't you give the ball to Barkley more and further open up the passing game is beyond me for sure.  Oklahoma should be up in the top 4, USC looked much better but I was pulling for Stanford, I just like that program.  Gotta love college ball.

PSU still has offensive line troubles. We're still seeing plays being blown up in the backfield just like last year. Fortunately they have a QB that can run and Barkley that can make something out of nothing.

PITT had their way with the PSU defense all game until where it really counted. To PSU defense credit, gave up only one touchdown, 2 picks , 5 sacks and held in the red zone. PSU defense is being praised today but it sure didnt look like it to me IMHO. Spent way too much time on the field.

OSU lost to a ranked team. Both USC and Oklahoma beat ranked teams. PSU beat Pitt but looked like crap doing it.

I see PSU dropping to 6. tOSU dropping to 5 with USC and Ok moving up into the top 5. Michigan staying put at 8....barely

Jimbo

Whats you take on the Wolverine game? Ugly win IMHO