Klipsch HIP-2 converting to scoop design - opinions?

chimpanzee

So I inherited a pair of ported HIP-2 with damaged cabinets but beautiful parts. So I'm planning to take the drivers and crossovers and put them in a cabinet that incorporates the attached 12-inch scoop design to improve the bass (because the bass is so poor).  I've attached the PDF of this 12-inch woofer scoop design ( which I found at .http://www.dancetech.com/file-library/document/scoop_12_15_18.pdf ).  I'm approaching this as if two separate boxes as shown in the PDF, one box for the 12-inch scoop woofer and one box connected on top for the mid horn and tweeter. I'm hoping to use the same crossovers that were in the original HIP-2 ported cabinets (after a recap) but I'm wondering if anyone could suggest and possible modifications for the crossover. Also, any advice regarding this overall newbie plan of mine is appreciated... before I do all the work. Thank you. This forum is awesome!

Scott

scoop.jpg

scoop_12-inch.pdf

Use an electronic crossover and add a subwoofer, it will be smaller, and sound much better.

At one time I used a set of four JBL 2231 pro 15's as a sub for HIP's, they laid waste (went lower, played louder, etc) to the Klipschorns they were on top of.

These days a pair of modern 12's (with some power) would do the job.

https://forum.speakerplans.com/cheap-driver-box-combination-to-get-low-and-loud_topic89375.html

• Like 1

This design looks a lot like the old JBL C34 internally, but the C34 was a little deeper and was recommended for corner placement.

Another JBL "scoop" was the C40, which was placed on its side.  I had C34s with 15" speakers in them, and heard a variety of 15" speakers in them.  They had the clean, dynamic bass of a horn, but little bass extension.  If you turned up the bass control (about 8 to 12 dB) they had plenty of punch (i.e., impact from about 90  to 200 Hz), but little response below 60 or 70 Hz.  Even the big scoops, like the C55, with two 15" woofers each, had very little deep bass.  Too bad, because they were very sexy looking.   Yet, I had many happy hours with my C34s.

If a horn is big enough, one can have both heavy bass and clean, dynamic bass, as we know from the Klipschorn and the Jubilee.  I regard my Klipschorns as what I always wanted my C34s to be.

The C34 (These plans were copyrighted by JBL, but were sent by JBL to anyone who asked)

image.thumb.jpeg.1a03f962d8d8bbac97473f9ffac5560a.jpeg

image.jpeg

Scoops, I've studied have small mouths and an irregular response curve (saw-toothed), plus poor low bass.  I've used HIPs on top of KP-480s with an electronic crossover and the results were excellent.  Unless you are just hankering for a construction project, I'd go with rebuilt HIP-IIs and a box sub.