Multiple Amps/receivers to share one pair of speakers

muel

I have a room with a rack of multiple receivers and amplifiers and a single pair of speakers.  

I would like to connect these all (6 or more) to a switch box so I can easily select a receiver to play without having to disconnect and reconnect speaker wires.  I made this a bit easier by using the quick disconnects from a Niles SVL-6 SPEAKER switch box on a short length of speaker wire from each receiver.  I have the single pair of speakers on one of the speaker output connections on the Niles SVL-6 switch box.  To change receivers all I have to do is unplug the AMPLIFIER disconnect from the NILES and plug in the disconnect to the other receiver.  I'd like to not have to dig around the back of the speaker switch to swap these... I'd rather just push a button of a receiver I want to hear.

SO

I thought maybe the SVL-6 could be used in reverse... multiple amplifiers to 1 set of speakers instead of 1 amplifier to 6 pairs of speakers.  NOT without testing continuity between the connections with a meter would I try this though!  Well, no way am I going to hook up this way... I found that as soon as turned on a SINGLE speaker selector (that I'm wanting to use to connect to a receiver) I had continuity across every connector of that channel.  How does this work and how does it not play through all speakers all the time?  Don't know and don't care for my purposes.  

Ideally, I would find a switch box that could only select amplifier A or B or C.  You definitely don't want A + B + C!  You would also want the switch to break the first connection before it makes the next connection so there would never be any moment that 2 were on at the same time (break before make).

I'm perfectly capable of being sure to select the correct button on the switch, turn it on, THEN turn on the receiver... when I want to change to a different receiver I would turn that one off, select the button for the 2nd receiver and THEN turn on the 2nd receiver.  I would never have 2 on at once... I don't ever have more than 1 plugged into power at once just to be safe.  

Trying to find something to switch multiple amps to one pair of speakers isn't working.  I'm thinking about this Speaker/AMP switch but I'm not a big fan of the connectors.  It does limit you to only one device to play at a time though.  I have to be sure there is nothing going from one receiver to another.  

Anybody know anything else or any better?

I'd even build something if I had to but it would be nice to find what I want off the shelf.

A line of 12 DPST switches would do it if looks aren't important. One switch per channel x 6 amplifiers, wire the speakers common to each switch and select one pair of switches at a time. I used to see speaker selectors used by the Bose sales guys. Their speakers were louder when instantaneously compared to others, even though the more efficient ones (like Klipsch) should have been louder. I see now that the Niles SVL-6 has adjustable volume on every channel. 

Keep an eye out for older home audio switchers used by retailers from the 80's and 90's.  I'm trying to remember the names of the ones we used but can't recall at the moment.  You might even call some home audio dealers that are still in business and see if they have any in the back room.  Most dealers like that were pack rats and never got rid of anything.

When I remember the names or can find some pictures, I'll post them.

RTI was one of the brands and maybe another one was AudioSource or something like that.  I remember there being a row of 20 buttons we pushed to change receiver or integrated amp, a row of 20 could add in a tape deck or CD player, and another row of 20 for speakers which impedance matched if more than one pair was selected.  We could pick two pairs of speakers and had this plug in coiled cord to a hand held push button switcher that could toggle between the two for comparison.