So Long BS Forum

thebes

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

What rules were being broken, and, if any, why would the whole section be taken away, rather than ban, flog, punish the perp? 

It was fully discussed in that forum before it was terminated on Friday, it's not open for discussion here.  If you want the answers to those questions I would suggest you PM @Mallette or @Chad.

I read what was said, before it was given a bullet to the head. At no point was an employee or a rep of KGI promoting anything unethical, illegal or PI. A few hot topics were on the table, and they were only being shared by several different POV, in a civil manor. I remember debating borders, minimum wage, sperm donor held for child support  and chit like that in the lounge. Having a pay-per-view, secret handshake, # of posts section or some other way to banish some of us misfits to was a good thing.    

• Like 2

On 9/1/2017 at 6:13 PM, Mallette said:

While I will be around here until they throw me out many of us have found a refuge on a desert Isle in a galaxy far, far away where there their is no law, the spirit of BS lives on.  

"Liberty is not the daughter, but the mother, of order" ... at least on my island.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

It was fully discussed in that forum before it was terminated on Friday, it's not open for discussion here.  If you want the answers to those questions I would suggest you PM @Mallette or @Chad.

It's really not that complicated.  The rule was vague, i.e., "Don't get out of hand."  It left a lot of gray area and plenty of room even for disagreement among moderators as to what ought to be considered a "violation."  Nevertheless, there were so few of us that were active over there that we kind of knew what kind of BS to expect from whom.  So, when Gilbert would snark all over Zen, the rest of us would just think, "Well, that's Gilbert."  We all knew he's just having fun in his own, squirrelly way.  The rest of us might jump in the gray area from time-to-time and draw somebody out, but again, we all knew each other for years, and so there was hardly anything anyone could say to seriously alienate each other because we actually liked conversing on forbidden topics with each other.  You can't go running off the ones who keep you company.

However, all that said, you ought to be able to tell that the reason it was a problem was because new-comers without these long-time bonds would come along, and as part of the "initiation," whether intentionally or not, their feelings might be made to be hurt.  And so, you know how that goes...  I guess you could say some felt a little bullied.  

One member had been gone a very long time.  He recently came back and saw where he'd been talked about in a way he didn't like.  It stirred the pot.  At this point, Chad (a/k/a Klipsch) had enough of it.  It's really not a great, exciting story.  Pretty mundane and almost predictable.  Everyone knew the BS days could be numbered.

The interesting part to this closure will be to see if the BS finds its way back into the public forum, or whether it goes elsewhere, possibly leaving a vacuum around here in some respects.  Some of these BS-ers have 10's of thousands of posts, and contribute a lot in the open forum, too.  Others, like me, had a high post count but had given up talking about SS vs. tubes and capacitors a long time ago and mainly stayed active in BS.  

• Like 2

Others, like me, add no historical value whatsoever and simply post comments to either stir the pot, push the buttons of a specific member, or (hopefully) give someone somewhere a chuckle for the day. Some people find my contributions to be asinine, but it's worth it if I can bring some levity to a person's life, while simultaneously winding up someone else.

So I really didn't fit in with either the technical main forum sections, or the NoBS forum where "real issues" are worked through.

tee-hee.gif

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Others, like me, add no historical value whatsoever and simply post comments to either stir the pot, push the buttons of a specific member, or (hopefully) give someone somewhere a chuckle for the day. Some people find my contributions to be asinine, but it's worth it if I can bring some levity to a person's life, while simultaneously winding up someone else.

I learned a lot about goats from you in there.

• Like 1

Thebes you were always a breath of wit, intelligence and insight (after decrypting your surface post). Thad, I marvelled at your pot stirring abilities, but almost always knew it was good natured. There were several others that I enjoyed hearing from, both on and off the forum. But the "wild west" air of the forum, which was generally well policed, gave way to one or two heavy handed and self serving mods, nasty comments on the restricted forum and increasingly vague rules. Therefore, I chose to stop posting and just check in from time to time, sometimes hoping to see Amy's return, our even more hoping to see "the most intersting man in the world" mystically return with his unmistakable comments via head shakes.
Nonetheless, several of you have given me many hours of happy times, for which I thank you.
All the best,
Earl

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Ha, well, goodness.  And here I was less than 50 posts away from being able to see it.  Twas my career dream to see what was behind those fabled doors.  

You missed cartoons and other child like responses such as those above.

On 9/2/2017 at 10:47 AM, Mallette said:

I think so.  He transited from K'horn to Heresy pretty quickly as he recognized that the market needed accurate, affordable speakers.  And supported the KG-2 program that made "compromise" K'horn concept even more affordable.  While I've not read any of his own later writings that specifically reference this, it's my belief that his counsel to his later designers was to "...know precisely which of the 8 Cardinal Points you are breaking and most important...WHY."  I can see this in the later designs while still under his leadership as each of the latter day designs he blessed...KG series, Forte, etc...follow this philosophy.

Dave

Heard Khorns late in 1967, near the Hi Fidelity Workshop which was on my way to my paper route on a daily basis about 5 blocks from my house. They were the only speakers in corners of the small widow display, no more than 8 feet apart. This 13 year old eventually got curious enough to go in there and bug the sales guys. It took me 10 years of speaker building my own designs, culminating in large Altec Voice of the Theater component based 20 Cubic foot equivalent of Cornwalls and doing DJ gigs before I could afford my first pair of Khorns in 1977. I spent a full day in Hope with PWK in 1985, at the factory, museum, and his home. He took my wife and I out to eat for lunch and dinner. He was a very gracious host and a fine gentleman.

He never thought his company would get as big as it got (about 1/7th the size of Fred Klipsch's company after the buyout), but he did say the Heresy sold in stereo pairs is what saved the company, since not many people could afford Khorns (WAF, cash, space, etc.). The Heresy was over 50% of sales in the 70's, which allowed other products to evolve beyond the Heritage series, including Pro stuff.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

but he did say the Heresy sold in stereo pairs is what saved the company, since not many people could afford Khorns (WAF, cash, space, etc.).

Thank you, sir, for confirming what I always believed to have been, and remain, the case.  The K'horn is the epitome of cost/performance by the 8 Cardinal Points...but it is an understanding of the 8Card and deviation from it to provide speakers of the best quality at affordable prices that supports the Klipsch heritage.

Dave

• Chad locked this topic