So Long BS Forum

thebes

2 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Ha, well, goodness.  And here I was less than 50 posts away from being able to see it.  Twas my career dream to see what was behind those fabled doors.  

Sometimes you wait and wait for the kimono to be opened revealing all you've been patiently waiting to see. And then its nothing what you expected and you must turn away, never being able to "unsee" it. Or, you dive in. And now, you will never know ----- 

On 9/1/2017 at 8:56 PM, thebes said:

Would things have been safer and happier if I'd been co-opted into the BS Forum?

But if that had happened you would have never experienced the sheer joy of reading my scintillating thread in the Garage Section when I put The Family Jewels up for sale.

I dunno. Let's see:

On 9/1/2017 at 9:13 PM, oldtimer said:

Thebes, will you write my eulogy?  Hurry because well, you're older than I.

Hows this:

"Your dead. Move on."

I could work on it a bit more if needed.

Aw, those fabled doors, closed forever.  Most looked and recoiled in horror.  A few looked and found a home.  But when all is said and done I regret having pushed the resurrection of the zombie after it was close the first time.  Fact is it could only work as a "secret" place, not as the "all comers with 5k posts" that made it open to anyone.  And since no business can have a "secret" place with no rules it was doomed.  This time, RIP. 

Toaster, anyone?

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mallette said:

Thank you, sir, for confirming what I always believed to have been, and remain, the case.  The K'horn is the epitome of cost/performance by the 8 Cardinal Points...but it is an understanding of the 8Card and deviation from it to provide speakers of the best quality at affordable prices that supports the Klipsch heritage.

Dave

Yep. He always maintained that the optimum size for a speaker was a Klipschorn. The only "compromise" he made was a Belle Center channel, created as a "pretty" LaScala. When I went to Mrs. Valerie Klipsch's house in 2007, there were 2 additional Khorns (Rosewood) presumably for 5 channel/surround experiments AND a single "original" Jubillee by her Bosendorfer Piano.

• Like 2

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Aw, those fabled doors, closed forever.  Most looked and recoiled in horror.  A few looked and found a home.  But when all is said and done I regret having pushed the resurrection of the zombie after it was close the first time.  Fact is it could only work as a "secret" place, not as the "all comers with 5k posts" that made it open to anyone.  And since no business can have a "secret" place with no rules it was doomed.  This time, RIP. 

Toaster, anyone?

Dave

I think it was worth a try, I'm glad.that you and others made the effort.  During the "wake" i got.to read some earu threads in there, i learned a great deal on a myriad of topics, few of them on politics. Literature, history, art, reading, military history and tactics, local government and on and on.

No one.was.lilled, mamed or injured during the experiment, overall I would say it was a resounding success.

• Like 1

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Ha ha.  It was so successful, we need to open 10 more like it right away!

Oh no.  

Well wait.  Subscribers.  Tax free donations to Museum gets you in.

Parts.of it were great and then you had an election cycle.  In the middle there..  lot.of.initial topics, and then tired.old ones.

Someone would come alimg with something on history or science, it was real good debate, etc.

10 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

12 hours ago, Mallette said:

Toaster, anyone?

Dave

I think it was worth a try, I'm glad.that you and others made the effort.  During the "wake" i got.to read some earu threads in there, i learned a great deal on a myriad of topics, few of them on politics. Literature, history, art, reading, military history and tactics, local government and on and on.

No one.was.lilled, mamed or injured during the experiment, overall I would say it was a resounding success.

I've had several thoughts since it's demise. Some like the political topics more than myself....That said, I feel the greatest loss of not having access is the time capsule aspect of peoples thoughts, collectively or individually. Seriously, two years ago people had thoughts on candidates and without getting political it safe to say pretty much everyone who was posting 2 years ago is surprised at the outcome today. The value lost along with the original forum, was to analyze those words in light of today and  continue the discussion with what we wanted to see going forward (policywise).  The forum still seemed to fail because of incivility, although I understand what Jeff explained below.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 7:48 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

It's really not that complicated.  The rule was vague, i.e., "Don't get out of hand."  It left a lot of gray area and plenty of room even for disagreement among moderators as to what ought to be considered a "violation."  Nevertheless, there were so few of us that were active over there that we kind of knew what kind of BS to expect from whom.  So, when Gilbert would snark all over Zen, the rest of us would just think, "Well, that's Gilbert."  We all knew he's just having fun in his own, squirrelly way.  The rest of us might jump in the gray area from time-to-time and draw somebody out, but again, we all knew each other for years, and so there was hardly anything anyone could say to seriously alienate each other because we actually liked conversing on forbidden topics with each other.  You can't go running off the ones who keep you company.

However, all that said, you ought to be able to tell that the reason it was a problem was because new-comers without these long-time bonds would come along, and as part of the "initiation," whether intentionally or not, their feelings might be made to be hurt.  And so, you know how that goes...  I guess you could say some felt a little bullied.  

One member had been gone a very long time.  He recently came back and saw where he'd been talked about in a way he didn't like.  It stirred the pot.  At this point, Chad (a/k/a Klipsch) had enough of it.  It's really not a great, exciting story.  Pretty mundane and almost predictable.  Everyone knew the BS days could be numbered.

The interesting part to this closure will be to see if the BS finds its way back into the public forum, or whether it goes elsewhere, possibly leaving a vacuum around here in some respects...

Good post, Jeff. :emotion-21: My last thought on the subject would be if  @Chad could repost the last thread in the No BS Section to give a taste on why it was closed down. Of course, the irony is that the most vehement words and graphics were posted by those who didn't post much or at all which surprised me....If for that fact alone, it probably was good idea not to continue discussions--Otoh, that kind of hatred will raise it's head on the main forum when *friends* feel comfortable with each other but have something they feel is important on their mind...

Yep. I don't like 'arguing politics,' and my favorite threads on the forum were The Bible, Vincent Van Gogh, and the Dead Sea Scrolls.  Of course all 3 of those could get political on the main forum, so back to perusing the Audio and Garage sections of the Klipsch and expressing remorse when the Rock n Roll legends die away. :) 

I'm looking forward to all the folks stepping closer to the edge of the main forums without falling.  Everyone like a close call with no one getting hurt and I have been here around 14 years without getting a glimpse of the entitled glory section.  Never had time for 15 post days like many here, but here is one more to get me in line for the redesigned and improved BS forum II. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deang said:

The best place on the internet for those kind of discussions is Reddit. 

Wouldn't trust Reddit period.  Only sites owned by individuals I know and trust.  I would not accept and pledge from Reddit they don't glean info from their users for profit.  I happen to trust the owner of the BS refuge implicitly and I can feel truly free to "say what I REALLY think" just as I did here.

Dave

So there was clique all along?

3 hours ago, Max2 said:

looking forward to all the folks stepping closer to the edge of the main forums without falling

I Vote yes

3 hours ago, Max2 said:

in line for the redesigned and improved BS forum II. 

I Vote no

• Haha 1

• Chad locked this topic