So Long BS Forum

thebes

• Moderators
1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Therefore, to Self censor, is to show self-restraint.

Let me put it this way.  I showed self restraint in deleting one my threads once.  I was then lambasted for engaging in censorship.

They were wrong, you didn't censor yourself.

I don't think you technically exercised self-restraint because you already had posted it and deleated it later.  That is more akin to changing ones mind ("thinking better of it upon further reflection").  It is a sign of of the most advanced of intellectual thinkers.

1 minute ago, dwilawyer said:

They were wrong, you didn't censor yourself.

I don't think you technically exercised self-restraint because you already had posted it and deleated it later.  That is more akin to changing ones mind ("thinking better of it upon further reflection").  It is a sign of of the most advanced of intellectual thinkers.

I was going to respond but I changed my mind.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Now there may be something which is completely interrelated.

Is a society a degenerate mass because they are incapable of self-restraint?

According to definition  2 of restraint, then yes, however the word degenerate adds a moral component, which has it's own codes.

• Moderators
Just now, oldtimer said:

According to definition  2 of restraint, then yes, however the word degenerate adds a moral component, which has it's own codes.

I didn't say it the right way:

If a society doesn't exercise self-restraint will the result always be it will become a degenerate mass?

OR, is a lack of self-restraint just one of several possible causes ofna degenerate mass?

OR, does the degree of self-restraint of a society have any correlation at all to whether it is a degenerative mass or not?

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I still say degenerate is a relativist word.  It depends upon the moral code of the society.

I didn't ask it right.  If all reasonable minds agree they became a degenerate mass, would self-restraint be a factor in the evolution.

Is it possible for a "mass" of people to be degenerate?  If you belong to the mass you can't be a degenerate as far asnthe mass is concerned can you?

5 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

I didn't ask it right.  If all reasonable minds they became a degenerate mass, would self-restraint be a factor in the evolution.

Is it possible for a "mass" of people to be degenerate?  If you belong to the mass you can't be a degenerate as far asnthe mass is concerned can you?

Gotcha.  That's a good way to look at it.  Perspective of the competing moralities during the transition would dictate which is degenerate.  When the "mass" has settled, then the competing moralities are called "cults."

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Gotcha.  That's a good way to look at it.  Perspective of the competing moralities during the transition would dictate which is degenerate.  When the "mass" has settled, then the competing moralities are called "cults."

That travel in cliques.

• Chad locked this topic