So Long BS Forum

thebes

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Mallette said:

Just sorry that the PC times finally caught up.

Are you inferring that Klipsch wanting to be PC is what led to the closing of No BS?  

Wasn't my understanding at all from the message that was sent to all of us.  

I agree with what you have said in the past, I'm not aware of any company sponsored forum that would allow an area  (public or private) for members to discuss topics with the free reign they allowed.  

KGI was anything but PC in allowing that forum to exist.  More so when you consider it was for the benefit of about six active members, and perhaps another six that were.less active (probably many, many more lurkers).

I think it took balls for them to even let them give it a try.  

Some of the most thought provoking, informative and well reasoned arguments I have ever seen. It reminded me of a time when they taught rhetoric in school. Then about six months into it you gave friendly suggestions about how they might stay on course to ensure the sub-forum would continue on, a year ago to the day, you gave a strong plea that they stay on course.  To no avail, the collective meandered along just as one might  expect in a basically unmoderated sub-forum: high, low, up down and all around.

My view is that it wasn't Klipsch trying to be PC that led to it shutting down, it was more of a case of "what in the hell were we thinking? This thing is liable to blow at any second."  

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

You are posting in it. 

Sorry you feel that way.

However, this main Forum is pretty much the same as No BS except: No politics or religion.

Y'all, as a group, were much more relaxed on personal attacks in there than what is allowed here, here we/they really frown on personal attacks.

Only 3 rules rules really:

1.  No politics or religion

2.  Attack an argument or opinion all you want, but no personal attacks;

3.  Treat others how you would want to be treated.

For us coloring book level people here is an example:

OP:  I think X because of Y.

Sample Response  No.1 (Good):  I disagree with you on that.  Let.me.get a sip of cocco (sans marshmallows) while I explain.  I think you assumption that Y applies here is misplaced because....

Sample Response No. 2 (Bad)  You are such a stupid (expletive deleated).  Who cares what you think anyway?  I bet you are a [fill in political party or ideology that is opposite of yours] based on that kind of (expletive deleted) up thinking.

8 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

20 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

You are posting in it. 

Sorry you feel that way.

My quote was a counter to someone else's comment and it seemed you took it out of context.

However, this main Forum is pretty much the same as No BS except: No politics or religion.

I think not. It's easier to compare the Lounge with the No BS Forum than the rest of the Forum with the No BS Forum.

Y'all, as a group, were much more relaxed on personal attacks in there than what is allowed here, here we/they really frown on personal attacks.

I understand you keep saying "as a group," but I expressed I wasn't comfortable with the personal attacks and wish there had been more guidance/moderation given insofar as 2 &3 below--Fwiw, I tried to do my part and got shot down.

1.  No politics or religion

2.  Attack an argument or opinion all you want, but no personal attacks;

3.  Treat others how you would want to be treated.

For us coloring book level people here is an example:

Again, I think you are responding in the 'coloring book' section of the forum and the OP wasn't talking about people.

OP:  I think X because of Y.

Sample Response  No.1 (Good):  I disagree with you on that.  Let.me.get a sip of cocco (sans marshmallows) while I explain.  I think you assumption that Y applies here is misplaced because....

It's as if you were following my posts! :huh:

Sample Response No. 2 (Bad)  You are such a stupid (expletive deleated).  Who cares what you think anyway?  I bet you are a [fill in political party or ideology that is opposite of yours] based on that kind of (expletive deleted) up thinking.

Yup. What I don't understand is why we as a group couldn't deter that kind of behavior....

9 hours ago, oldtimer said:

9 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

It's like someone closed the zoo and opened the gates.  

And exactly what would you expect to happen?  Why was it created in the first place?  Is it necessary to ask Amy?

Zoo? I only saw yesterday on the regular forum where one of the people who chose to post there spoke of it in unflattering terms. I was tremendously offended given his actual comments in the NO BS Forum, but also realized he set everyone up by saying if you disagreed you were "a Troll."  :pwk_bs: 

Of course, all of this is unimportant in the whole scheme of things and it sheds light that we are moving into a completely different society where alternative facts carry just as much weight real ones as long as the correct person is uttering them. Fwiw, one of the things I liked about the Forum was we could debate/discuss facts while pointing out by references those that were not---that is usually when the offenses to rules 2 and 3 above started to happen.

Btw, I understand why it was shut down, but it wasn't because of discussing  politics or religions as much as it was (some) folks got too carried away with the rant aspect but didn't want to engage in debate. That was fine as well but still imo, the personal attacks took away from any humor on numerous occasions and was told the remedy was use the Ignore Button. I did and will greatly miss both iterations of the BS/NoBS Forum. 

• Like 1

• Chad locked this topic