Your First Three Cars

Ceptorman

10 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

In addition to  our first cars (usually a go fast high insurance car), we can say what we are driving now.

I went from a turbo Z to an Avalon. <_<

Haha....I'm driving a 2011 GMC HD Sierra 4x4, a 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 with 245k and still going. 2014 Honda Oddysey!

5 hours ago, babadono said:

1. '73 Datsun 240Z P.O.S.

2. '78 Ford E250 Van (still own, hasn't been run for a few years doubling as a tool shed)

3.'90 BMW 325iS (still own drive every day)

Tool shed! That's awesome.

4 hours ago, USNRET said:

1963 Chevy Biscayne 283 w/3 on the tree
1964 1/2 Mustang convertible 6 cyl 3 speed

1968 Chevelle SS 396

That Chevelle is a terrific car.

@DizRotus I've seen plenty of those small block Harleys at Bike Week & Biketoberfest when I lived down in FL. Made me double take while on my V65 Magna 4 cyl quad carb.

Had a nut that I was nuts enough to go off roading in trails around the woods here in a 302 MGB. On the street think it would have been nice to see it go against a 350 Vega. Those V8 Vegas were FAST!!

• Like 2

'59 SAAB 93 - Easter Egg Blue (taught me all about conservation of momentum).

'62 Volvo 122S - Red (only red car I've ever owned - oops, forgot about a red MGB).

'62 Jaguar 3.8l Mark II  - Gun Metal (dark) Silver with red leather.  (Beautiful car - the one that "got away."  Wish I still had it.  I was 19....)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jheis said:

'59 SAAB 93 - Easter Egg Blue (taught me all about conservation of momentum).

'62 Volvo 122S - Red (only red car I've ever owned - oops, forgot about a red MGB).

'62 Jaguar 3.8l Mark II  - Gun Metal (dark) Silver with red leather.  (Beautiful car - the one that "got away."  Wish I still had it.  I was 19....)

I worked for a Jag / SAAB dealership. We had one of those Jaguars in the warehouse. 

I hate to ask, but will: How much did you let the Jag go for? 

14 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I worked for a Jag / SAAB dealership. We had one of those Jaguars in the warehouse. 

I hate to ask, but will: How much did you let the Jag go for? 

Sorry, but I don't remember the selling price, but I don't think I lost any money on it.

I sold the Jag ~ '69 when the Air Force shipped me off to Germany.  As I recall, I paid $2,200 for it in '67.  5 years old with 30k miles on the clock!  Like lots of other cars, it only became valuable long after I sold it.

Thinking about the discussion of cars that appreciated after being sold, reminded me of the only car of mine that fits that description.  Technically, one of the first three cars I owned was a '56 Corvette I "purchased" for $150 in ~'69.

Purchased is in quotes because the seller was in a hospital bed when he "sold" it, and I had second thoughts about buying it, so it was never consummated.

A 13 year-old beat up Vette for $150 was still a bargain, even though it didn't run and it needed a whole front clip.  It had a new convertible top and newly reupholstered seats that were worth more than $150.  IIRC, a four speed transmission was also included.

At the time, I was in college and had neither time, money or space for a project car.  Years later my father expressed regrets that I hadn't told him, implying he would have gladly stored it in his garage.  Hindsight is 20/20.

It's just as well.  I would have made a retro-mod out of it.  Probably a 327 and 4-speed to replace the 265 and 3-speed.  Instead it's one that got away.

1981 AMC Spirit (hated it...one step above a Pacer.  My grandfather said he'd buy me a car if I sold my motorcycle when I turned 16.  I was thinking Camaro; he wasn't)

1962 Ford Pickup  (kept Spirit for about 6 months...traded it for old Ford P/U.  Had a 6-cyl and "3 on the Tree" so I yanked those and went to a 351C V8 with a C6 tranny)

1977 Pontiac Grand Prix (loved this car...Bright red with white Landau top in rear.  Sold truck and bought G/P because of gas mileage and needed something better for girls. :)  I worked for a tire retreading place the summer I was 17; hardest job I ever had retreading passenger car tires and diesel truck tires.  Bought some Cragar S/S wheels and BF Goodrich Radial T/A's and put on it.  I was pimping back then.  ha

Those were first three within a year and a half or less.  After G/P, it was an 83 Mustang LX 5.0 sedan I had for a few months and sold it because I moved to Ft Collins, CO where my dad lived.  I didn't stay there long and when I moved back, bought an 81 Camaro Z28...black and gold with T-Tops and cowl induction hood.  Kept it one month and traded it for a brand new silver 1984 Mustang GT two days after my 18th birthday.  Man, insurance was cheap back then.