Klipsch RC-3 malfunction

AudioNoob2

So I got this RC-3 center off eBay, when it arrived the tweeter was out of place, no big deal just got it back in the horn, next thing I replace my old center with it and there's only sound coming from the tweeter, thought it might require bi-amping so I plugged each input on it but only the ones in the top seem to power the tweeter and the woofers just wont work either bi-amping or using the included jumpers, so I took it all apart and tested each woofer using a AA battery and they both seem to work, so I believe the problem is either the input or the crossover, thing is I've never done any crossover testing, I don't even know what to look for but I've been told they're easy to fix so any info or help is appreciated.

Let me know if you need to see any pictures.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the forum. Fairly certain someone will be along to help you troubleshoot the problem. Saturdays sometime can be a little slow with response. Meanwhile, I have found that patience pays off here.

Meanwhile, what are you powering your system with? Pics are always welcome here.

Thanks, hope it is something  simple and good start on  your end. Maybe a loose wire somewhere or a solder joint.

The rc 3 seems to have a lot of issues. I had a woofer blow in mine. I saw a couple other post with issues too. I'm still not sure if I should replace the woofer since it won't be the original. I'm not in dire need anyways. I have other speakers but I do like the sound of this speaker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Hello and welcome to the forum. Fairly certain someone will be along to help you troubleshoot the problem. Saturdays sometime can be a little slow with response. Meanwhile, I have found that patience pays off here.

Meanwhile, what are you powering your system with? Pics are always welcome here.

Thanks, hope it is something  simple and good start on  your end. Maybe a loose wire somewhere or a solder joint.

I'm using an Onkyo TX-NR515 rated at 130w. I got some pictures but none of them really show good detail I tried looking for damaged or burnt looking components on it but everything seems ok, also checked the solder joints to see if maybe one of them was loose or something but they all look ok to me :/

IMAG1189.jpg

IMAG1190.jpg

IMAG1192.jpg

IMAG1191.jpg

• Like 1

Check the soldering in the wires inside the speaker running to the woofers.  Also check and make sure there's no breaks in the wires themselves.  Inspect for any exposure on them.

ETA: Just saw the pictures - there doesn't appear to be any damage.  Make sure the nuts on the cup are fastened good too on the inside.

22 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Check the soldering in the wires inside the speaker running to the woofers.  Also check and make sure there's no breaks in the wires themselves.  Inspect for any exposure on them.

ETA: Just saw the pictures - there doesn't appear to be any damage.  Make sure the nuts on the cup are fastened good too on the inside.

Just checked that and they're tight and in place, any other ideas? 

00 - Year 2000

47 - Week 47

Would put this one somewhere in November or end of October 2000.

I would file a claim with eBay honestly.  It really seems like a crossover issue, and finding a replacement crossover on an RC-3 isn't going to be a simple thing.  Rebuilding it will not really improve it much - going off what I've dealt with before.  If the speaker is damaged and doesn't function with or without the strap, something is clearly wrong on the board.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

00 - Year 2000

47 - Week 47

Would put this one somewhere in November or end of October 2000.

I would file a claim with eBay honestly.  It really seems like a crossover issue, and finding a replacement crossover on an RC-3 isn't going to be a simple thing.  Rebuilding it will not really improve it much - going off what I've dealt with before.  If the speaker is damaged and doesn't function with or without the strap, something is clearly wrong on the board.

Guess I'll just take the speaker to a shop where they can repair it or replace the crossover, I've seen people who replace crossovers for better audio quality so I guess this can be done to spec by someone. I really don't  want to ship this back, it's too big.

Just be careful on that.  The RC-3 is a budget center speaker.  There's nothing wrong with it - but I eventually had to phase mine out because it just had severe issues keeping up in my configuration with the RB-5's and RF-3's.  The one in my living room is also having issues keeping up and has to be trimmed up to compensate.

I would not spend more than another $50 on that speaker - tops.

28 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Just be careful on that.  The RC-3 is a budget center speaker.  There's nothing wrong with it - but I eventually had to phase mine out because it just had severe issues keeping up in my configuration with the RB-5's and RF-3's.  The one in my living room is also having issues keeping up and has to be trimmed up to compensate.

I would not spend more than another $50 on that speaker - tops.

Is there any other Klipsch reference center you would recommend? I'm replacing a really old Klipsch 90's center haha and I've seen some RC-25 and RC-35 for cheap, but I'm not really an audio connoisseur, also how are those RF-3s? A friend was selling a pair for 400 dolars shipped. 

Edited by AudioNoob2

There are many.  Which Klipsch center did you have?

The RC-35 I had and didn't mind it at all.  I was not used to a tappered array - but didn't mind it at all (I use an RC-7 now that also uses this).

I love my RF-3's, and have two pair.  One pair is stock RF-3 I's, the second are a pair of RF-3 II's that Bob Crites redid the crossovers for.  I've loved how they sound post-mod - and the highs actually rival the Heresy's when I did blind A/B testing with them.  Several other people have concurred.

$400 shipped is quite reasonable.  Especially if they are in good condition and brought to your door.  $200-$400 is the general selling range for them.

10 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

There are many.  Which Klipsch center did you have?

The RC-35 I had and didn't mind it at all.  I was not used to a tappered array - but didn't mind it at all (I use an RC-7 now that also uses this).

I love my RF-3's, and have two pair.  One pair is stock RF-3 I's, the second are a pair of RF-3 II's that Bob Crites redid the crossovers for.  I've loved how they sound post-mod - and the highs actually rival the Heresy's when I did blind A/B testing with them.  Several other people have concurred.

$400 shipped is quite reasonable.  Especially if they are in good condition and brought to your door.  $200-$400 is the general selling range for them.

It's an old Klipsch KV-2, I'm replacing every speaker in my home theater as I have older 90's Klipsch speakers and wanted to upgrade while not investing a whole lot, but I'm telling you I don't really know a lot about speakers.

I'm not entirely sure you'd have gotten much of an upgrade with the RC-3.  The horn would be the biggest difference.

What did you pay for your RC-3, if you don't mind my asking?

Well, it's got twice the power and I really like getting loud haha, I paid 80 bucks for it shipped.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk