Klipsch RC-3 malfunction

AudioNoob2

10 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Ehhhhh...

$80 is a decent price for it.  Still wouldn't drop more than 50 on it to repair.

What kind of budget are you dealing with for your upgrades?

Right now I only need to replace the towers, since they're the most expensive I wanted to buy these last, the budget is around 500 for the towers as now it seems like I need a new center.

1 minute ago, AudioNoob2 said:

Right now I only need to replace the towers, since they're the most expensive I wanted to buy these last, the budget is around 500 for the towers as now it seems like I need a new center.

Would you happen to have a Frys local to you AN2? They run some fantastic specials for the RF-82 ii. $229 each!

Music, videogames and movies, music mostly, I live in Mexico right now, but I used to live in Missouri, so it is a bit hard to get these things down here.

Really 230 each? I've seen those go for a 900 a pair on eBay.

Right now I have RS-3 for my rear and side surrounds, this RC-3, an RSW-10 I think it's the model number for the sub and SF1 as my towers, if I can get the center fixed for cheap then I might have some extra budget for new towers, if not, then 500.

I encourage you in that case to possibly look at the RB-5's - bookshelves - as well.  They execute flawlessly, and with good EQ will sound like towers.  Otherwise your best fits will be RF 3's, 5's, and 7's, with the former two fitting your budget better.  I don't know what Mexico's market is like for Klipsch gear, but RB-5's should be able to be had for the cost of your budget or well under.

I encourage you in that case to possibly look at the RB-5's - bookshelves - as well.  They execute flawlessly, and with good EQ will sound like towers.  Otherwise your best fits will be RF 3's, 5's, and 7's, with the former two fitting your budget better.  I don't know what Mexico's market is like for Klipsch gear, but RB-5's should be able to be had for the cost of your budget or well under.

Actually there's a steady supply of Klipsch gear, this guy I told you that had the RF-3 for 400 got me the sub and some other gear, he had RF-62 II for 400 as well so I'll ask him for any of those speakers you mentioned, though I think RF-7 are out of my league.
This forum is so good I asked for help and now I'm into buying even more gear hahaha.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Swap the woofers in your RS-3's with the RC-3's - the woofers are spec'd the same with the addition of a magnetic cup.  If they work in the RS-3's they work on the whole.

I just did something similar, don't want to risk the RS-3s hehe so I just plugged the woofers directly to the receiver (probably shouldn't) and they do produce nice lows, now I'm confident it is indeed the crossover, at least just the low frequency circuits, also, just the tweeter alone really sounds good, you were right about the horn improvement.

Truthfully you'd probably get your money or a little more out of reselling the drivers.  Those woofers are getting harder to find.

Guess I'll do that in case I the cross can't be fixed, so if you ever need woofers for your RS-3 you know where to look. It's such a shame, these are beautiful.3f3ff05a081b19d73be4af683bd966dd.jpg

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

For sure.  I prefer the old style myself - as anyone can see from my assortment.  I have 15 speakers from that generation of Reference.  The black cap with the copper cone just looks great.  If I still had my RB-3's I would buy one off you simply because I'm a sucker for cosmetics.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Finally had the time to take the speaker to a repair shop, I'm happy to let you know it is finally working properly, it must have been something simple as it only took them a couple of hours before I got the call telling me it was ready, even better, I was only charged 10 bucks! So I guess this is a win. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me and gave me some advice. I'm loving this speaker.

• Like 1