Original La Scala vs. La Scala II's?

jimjimbo

Just curious, and this has likely been addressed before.....  All things being equal (if possible) For those who have experienced both the "first generation" La Scala's and the La Scala II's, how would you describe the differences in sound?  Would it really be so significantly "better" as to justify the serious additional expenditure?

55 minutes ago, Schu said:

The entire query is based around whether the performance gain justifies the additional expenditure... no.

No it isn't.  There were two questions there, and of course I expected that sort of response from you, which really didn't answer anything.

Ya know I like this question as there is a pair of LS2's not far from me in what is described as like new in the box, with boxes, cherry. And I wonder if they can sonically be worth the additional $2-2.5K over selling my standard LS1. That's a bunch of "upgraded" LaScala sound. And they are certainly much more furniture quality than my black pair. But I have read more than one Forum critique offering the 1's sounded "better", whatever the helll that means. 

What is the difference in the networks?  Different crossover points?  Compared to the LS I just before the II came out?  Did La Scala change the crossover points (and slopes?)  At the same time they changed them on the Klipschorn (c. 2002)?

The crossover in the LS-II is close to the crossover used in the K-Horn (the AK-4 version). 

I was studying the modern crossovers in the K-Horn, LS, and Belle and made notes regarding the AL-4. See attached.

In the midrange we get a real passband design.  PWK would let the mid run up as high as it would go. 

The tweeter is steeper than ever before. 

Therefore any interference between the mid and tweeter should be reduced.

AL-4 in 5 pages.docx

• Like 1

In my mind it would be hard to justify the extra money for the new ones. But I have to admit they look awesome. I would probably buy used and fix them up if I did not already have mine from 1980 and refurbished. But  you might check with Cory on price for new ones.

My two cents is if you are capable of 'fixing up' the original, then it might be money better spent verses buying the II's.

The biggest difference to my understanding (other than the obvious visual) is they tamed the side walls from resonating.  That DOES make it seem like the LAS II has "deeper / more" bass however, when discussing that directly with Jim Hunter, he said the same output is also there in the original LaScala, it just gets masked by the vibrations.

I think you'd have a net better sound and more cost effective, if you just took an original LaScala, beefened up the side walls and slapped a K510 inside of it (or if you want balls to the wall, a 402 on top)

I wonder if @Islander has any opinions since I think he's had both as well as the 510 and now 402.  I think he's owned all parts so could have a very educated opinion.

Speaking to the differences in sound, when I heard them, the way I would describe it is the LAS II sounds like it has another octave of bass output.

(that's the most noticeable difference)  

There are likely other minute differences but that is the bell ringer.

11 hours ago, moray james said:

I am certain the LS2 sounds better than the LaScala does but if you are so inclined you can turn a pair of LaScala into LS2 for a fraction of the going sale difference. Braces along with some ply and changing the networks and you can have better than LS2 if you want. 

I like and have seen these applied but each cabinet mod takes woodworking skills. I've understood the braces are more complicated than they look in order to get an absolute fit. Unfortunately Fastlane no longer makes a brace for the LS1. And just slapping additional ply to the cabinets would certainly call for some skills to actually have them look "professional". Could I measure, cut, fasten the correct size ply to the cab, sure. And it would look a cobbled mess. 

I have often wondered about adding the braces, but was never convinced it was worth the effort. I'm one of those people that really like the bass produced by the stock version, but always up for a little "tweaking". I would be anxious to hear from those who have done the "upgrade" and if it does in fact make a noticeable difference. I think @DizRotus did that mod on the LS's he gave to the local HS band.

^^^^^

and I imagine both the bracing and heavier cabs are more effective for those who enjoy much loader volumes than I tend to listen.

As an example I Pm'd a member about possibly selling a pair of 400 watt Class D monos, he thanked and said that wasn't enough power for his Jubes/room, his way of listening. Whhaatt? I mean I can literally put myself out of my rather large space with Jubes or LS1 at unr 10 watts. Now for him, braces and side walls would indeed me mandatory. Or how about a wall of decorative cement blocks instead of ply? 

• Like 1

Maybe one of the technical  or engineers can comment...

I always understood that something resonates at a certain frequency...  regardless of how soft/loud you have it.

Yes, if you are playing it quietly, maybe the resonance would fall below a certain audible threshold, but it's there none the less.

Louder volumes would unleash it more but the interference starts the moment it is hit with a certain frequency.

So, (to the technical inclined) is resonance volume dependent, frequency dependent or a combo of both?

• Like 2