Thank You Mr. Walter Becker; RIP

JohnJ

Lost another one. Walter Becker this time. They had people all lined up at the Charlotte Coliseum and into the parking/party lot that afternoon and cancelled the show. Folks did not know it, Steely Dan was already in town and had to pull out. When they left they flew their Leer Jet over the Coliseum kinda low, jacked the nose straight up and punched it.

Busted a lot of windows out of the chrome dome and folks did not know about terrorist attacks back then....

Anyhow RIP Walter Becker you were one HELL of a musician!!

2.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 3

Very sad news.  I've never seen them.  But growing up in Birmingham,  we had a club band Hotel that did an amazing Steely Dan cover set that brought the house down.  Love their music.  Sad that there won't be any more as I've known it. 

23 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

They got close to here a couple of times and I never did make a concert. Always loved Steely Dan's music though. This guy had some talent. Played Bass on most of SD's music.

Not only bass, but the TASTIEST guitar licks that NOT blues based. Unique stuff you have to listen for, expecially on the last 2 CD's they made in 2000, and 2003.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Not only bass, but the TASTIEST guitar licks that NOT blues based. Unique stuff you have to listen for, expecially on the last 2 CD's they made in 2000, and 2003.

Were it not for Steely Dan I may not have veered off into discovering the jazz world when I did. It was the jazz inflection in some of their music that broke me out of the 4/4 time blues box that I and most rock fans were living in at the time. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

spent a birthday evening with you.  RIP Mr. Becker.

Interesting, gotta ask. So you just had a birthday and enlightened your mood with Steely Dan?

Or did you actually meet him one time?

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

On 9/3/2017 at 1:44 PM, JL Sargent said:

They got close to here a couple of times and I never did make a concert. Always loved Steely Dan's music though. This guy had some talent. Played Bass on most of SD's music.

Yeah, I didn't make that too clear. In addition to lead guitar and a mountain of solos, he also played bass on about 70% of their stuff.

I was on vacation when I heard the news. Got back yesterday and it's been nonstop Steely Dan since. Their music defined my youth, middle years and now my old age.  I loved their lyrical snarkiness and musical prowess. One of my life's regrets is never hearing them in concert. 

God Bless you Walter. I'm sure you're making heaven's band learn a thing or two about music.

Mark

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...