Hurricane Irma 2017

Travis In Austin

Please add tips to this list.  This may be someone's first storm.

Save gallon jugs.....fill with water.....freeze.  Will help preserve food if power fails.  As it thaws use as needed.

Keep fridge closed as much as possible. 

Fill 5 gallon buckets with water for flushing.

Set up a safe place for pets away from windows.

Freeze left over coffee for iced coffee later.

Locate flashlights & batteries.

Secure objects that could become missiles.

Stock up on essential medications.

Buy booze, food, water.

Manual can opener.

Fill bathtub.

Prepare for looters.

Unplug gear.

Locate insurance policies and important papers.

Purchase a 1 burner Coleman gas grill from Walmart for around $20.  Buy propane gas.

Fill your cars tank.  Move to high ground away from trees if no garage.  I take one of mine to the school parking lot.

Good luck to all.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Please add tips to this list.  This may be someone's first storm.

Save gallon jugs.....fill with water.....freeze.  Will help preserve food if power fails.  As it thaws use as needed.

Keep fridge closed as much as possible. 

Fill 5 gallon buckets with water for flushing.

Set up a safe place for pets away from windows.

Freeze left over coffee for iced coffee later.

Locate flashlights & batteries.

Secure objects that could become missiles.

Stock up on essential medications.

Buy booze, food, water.

Fill bathtub.

Prepare for looters.

Unplug gear.

Locate insurance policies and important papers.

Purchase a 1 burner Coleman gas grill from Walmart for around $20.  Buy propane gas.

Fill your cars tank.  Move to high ground away from trees if no garage.  I take one of mine to the school parking lot.

Good luck to all.....

Solid list Chuck. About the only other thing I might do is raise the electrical stuff and precious items off the floor, it might flood.

Curious....if this storm tracks towards your location, I believe you and your LF each have a home. Will you be together, or both at their own home to protect things. If I'm being nosey, just disregard.

36 minutes ago, billybob said:

To be decided Bill.  Will make that decision once the path becomes more clear but you are right we both have homes with large tree that could come down.  I have been through so many storms including 9 major hurricanes so I don't get too excited but this will be new to her.  I have Trish and my boy Jake to be concerned about and everything else is replaceable.  Clean up and no power is a real drag though but if that is the worst of it I can handle that.  The S2000 will be in her garage and the Volvo in a local school parking lot away from trees.

Thanks for asking:)

• Like 1

One thing to do during a hurricane that I never heard before.  If you have to evacuate and come back home you wonder if the food in your freezer is safe.  If the power went out for a couple days and came back on, your freezer food could have thawed and refrozen and you'd never know it.  Before you evacuate, freeze a cup of water.  After it's frozen, place a penny on the top of the frozen water.  If it's still there when you come back, your food is good.  If it's now at the bottom of the frozen cup of water, throw the food out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

I hadn't heard that.  Makes sense.

+++

I would add to that list, take pictures of everything including audio gear and valuables.  Write down serial numbers if you have them, then save the pics to an on-line drive like OneDrive (Microsoft) or iCloud (Apple).  It could come in handy later for insurance purposes.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I hadn't heard that.  Makes sense.

+++

I would add to that list, take pictures of everything including audio gear and valuables.  Write down serial numbers if you have them, then save the pics to an on-line drive like OneDrive (Microsoft) or iCloud (Apple).  It could come in handy later for insurance purposes.

or Google Drive or whatever your online repository of choice.    or even take photos of the manufacturer make, model & serial if possible.  reduce margin for error.  

but that said about online/cloud storage, there's probably no guarantee of data preservation with any of them.  IDK, maybe there is.  but surely their means of preservation or recovery have a little more invested than I do.  I'd go with them.

excellent tips @wvu80 & @Tarheel

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

To be decided Bill.  Will make that decision once the path becomes more clear but you are right we both have homes with large tree that could come down.  I have been through so many storms including 9 major hurricanes so I don't get too excited but this will be new to her.  I have Trish and my boy Jake to be concerned about and everything else is replaceable.  Clean up and no power is a real drag though but if that is the worst of it I can handle that.  The S2000 will be in her garage and the Volvo in a local school parking lot away from trees.

Thanks for asking:)

If I did not already I was going to. Seems every year or two we go through the frill, those of us in various storm paths. Old hand here fortunately but, cannot always remember everything. When young I and a friend would walk downtown from his house to where we had our loveshack/partyhouse.

Not terribly far but would get a kick out of seeing the traffic lights flying sideways, and the stop sign flutter like a possessed individual. Then it was Hurricane parties we would joke and laugh about. Now, at my tender age, they are more of a serious attempt to protect those around us we feel responsible for.

Did read your list and use that gallon jug or/and 2 liter bottles to help with freezer year round anyway. Carl, just laid a new one on me about the penny. Just remember(as if we could forget) that Jose is on Irma's heels. Wish all well and this thread is my go to besides the regular. 

Thanks Chuck, etc...:emotion-21:

• Like 1

Paying attention to this since it is really an unprecedented storm. I've seen the center of the "cone" move westward throughout the day. Last one I saw (it's now 10:45, new info soon) show Miami, Jacksonville, Atlanta getting right in the middle of the cone. Looked at one of my weather bookmarks and check this out. It say "Hurricane Irma" will be here Monday, but it seems to be tropical storm speeds that I'd prefer.

Screenshot (2).png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Evening news show a new projected path.  Making landfall around Charleston, SC, through Tennessee, and up to see Dave in W. VA:o

I saw that was a potential path a couple of days ago and I pay attention because my son is just north of Charleston, SC in N Myrtle Beach.  I can't help but worry even though he is very prepared for disaster. 

I don't know if I would call him a prepper but he has enough artillery to hold off a small army of terrorists single-handedly and he has thought through nearly every doomsday contingency.  I would not suggest looters break into his house after a hurricane as it would likely end badly for them.

• Like 2