Hurricane Irma 2017

Travis In Austin

2 hours ago, rockhound said:

I'm 200 miles offshore at the moment in the Gulf of Mexico. Current probability of the storm changing from the projected path and coming into the GOM is 5%, we are not evacuating at this time. I sure hope the models are right.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/hurricane-scientists-have-never-seen-an-image-like-this-before/ar-AArtxSw?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

• Like 1

Looks like it is moving west with each track update. Now looking like Miami Orlando Lake City, Florida. At this rate, it is getting right down the middle snd will bear watching, especially for that turn north. Will be interesting to see projection tomorrow PM. For us, Saturday may well tell the tale.:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/215356.shtml?gm_track#contents

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

With the current path the eye will go right over top @Youthman's house in Florida, between Orlando and Tampa.

The county is providing 20 bags and sand, you just have to have a drivers license and fill them yourself.  Took 2hrs I came by myself and the family that was finishing theirs offered to hold the bags and tie them while I filled them so I had the opportunity to return the favor with the next family after me.  It's great seeing the community pull together to help each other prepare for the storm.  Wish the world could be more loving when we aren't in the path of a hurricane.

@willland is in Kissimmee which is near Orlando. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Youthman said:

The county is providing 20 bags and sand, you just have to have a drivers license and fill them yourself.  Took 2hrs I came by myself and the family that was finishing theirs offered to hold the bags and tie them while I filled them so I had the opportunity to return the favor with the next family after me.  It's great seeing the community pull together to help each other prepare for the storm.  Wish the world could be more loving when we aren't in the path of a hurricane.

@willland is in Kissimmee which is near Orlando. 

There was a heartwarming story about a lady in Florida that has been trying to find a generator to buy, her husband is on oxygen and they need power to keep it going. She finally found one, got to the store, but a guy was loading it onto his cart. She was so distraught, he let her buy it. The man told the news that the lady's husband was in worse condition than his wife, so he let her have it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

LOTS of folks getting sandbags today.  Better to have them and not need them.

Wow!  :o (reacting to your pics of cars lined up for sandbags)

@Youthmanwhat is the plan for your 20 sandbags?  I presume to cover up door entrences, that sort of thing.

What is your experience with previous hurricanes which have blown through your area?  I doubt there is anyplace for the water to drain, is there a chance your house could actually flood?  Not being from there, it's really hard to imagine.

When do you load up the wagons and head out of town?

• Like 1

The problem is Florida as a peninsula, and a storm going down the middle, there are really no place to go except north or west(panhandle,Alabama,)if one wants to escape the storm and most of it's effects. You either hunker down where you are and prepare as best you can to ride it out, or leave. One thing I am wanting to take out of the equation is being caught in a car somewhere when it is impossible to travel and be caught up in the storm, or it's remnants.

Good planning and keeping calm is a virtue in this scenario, IMO.

• Like 2

Just now, billybob said:

The problem is Florida as a peninsula, and a storm going down the middle, there are really no place to go except north or west(panhandle,Alabama,)if one wants to escape the storm and most of it's effects

The other problem with that is that it's so narrow (comparatively) that the storm can pick up moisture from the Atlantic and the Gulf at the same time.