Hurricane Irma 2017

Travis In Austin

Will be interesting to see the next couple of advisories. As you related, could continue westward until...?

19 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Counter-intuitive to me...but I am not a meteorologist and never played one on TV.  Looks like it's heading straight for the high on Thursday.  Perhaps they are expecting the high to move.  

Dave

• Moderators

We have decided to take shelter in my daughter's bedroom as it is sandwiched between two bedrooms and should offer more security than our master closet or laundry room.  We decided to board up the outside of her window. 

I will bring the RF-7ii and lay them on top of the LaScala Trio as that would keep them high up.  My son's RF-7's will be placed on top of the theater chairs.  My only concern is if the sliding glass door breaks, the entire room will get wet.  Maybe I should put them in the master closet?  Just no telling how much damage the storm might do.

It's been awesome over the past few days how everyone is helping each other out.  I've even had forum members reach out to me offering help and their prayers.  Regardless of what happens, we are remaining positive and we have a lot of Christians in our neighborhood that are joining us in prayer as we prepare to embrace what Irma may bring.  I will post here as soon as I can to let everyone know we are doing. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Youthman said:

We have decided to take shelter in my daughter's bedroom as it is sandwiched between two bedrooms and should offer more security than our master closet or laundry room.  We decided to board up the outside of her window. 

Our only "interior" room is outside Jake's bedroom and bathroom in a hall like area about 7' x 3.5' wide.  My wife, son, and I will take a mattress from one of his bunk beds and sit/lay on it to ride out the storm.  The creaking and popping sounds in the attic/walls is going to drive me nuts:wacko: for the 10 to 12 hour duration.

39 minutes ago, Youthman said:

It's been awesome over the past few days how everyone is helping each other out.  I've even had forum members reach out to me offering help and their prayers.  Regardless of what happens, we are remaining positive and we have a lot of Christians in our neighborhood that are joining us in prayer as we prepare to embrace what Irma may bring.

Amen to that, same in my neighborhood.  Really good folks always willing to lend a helping hand.

Stay safe my Plant City brother and all other forum members, from Florida to Tennessee that will have some impact.  

Bill

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

I will bring the RF-7ii and lay them on top of the LaScala Trio as that would keep them high up.  My son's RF-7's will be placed on top of the theater chairs.  My only concern is if the sliding glass door breaks, the entire room will get wet.  Maybe I should put them in the master closet?  Just no telling how much damage the storm might do.

It's been awesome over the past few days how everyone is helping each other out.  I've even had forum members reach out to me offering help and their prayers.  Regardless of what happens, we are remaining positive and we have a lot of Christians in our neighborhood that are joining us in prayer as we prepare to embrace what Irma may bring.  I will post here as soon as I can to let everyone know we are doing. 

Can you board up the sliding glass door, too?

• Moderators

We have a LOT of windows in our home.  Just on the back side of the house, I have a double sliding glass door, an exterior door with glass, a triple sliding glass door, then another double sliding glass door to our bedroom and our bedroom window.  And that's just 1 side of our home.

• Moderators

I hope you all stay safe, just make sure you can get out somewhere if the water becomes higher than expected, everything else can be replaced.

I say this because in the past some have been trapped, mostly because they went into an attic, this is a bad idea unless you have something to cut or break through the roof to escape.

Be safe

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Youthman said:

It's been awesome over the past few days how everyone is helping each other out.  I've even had forum members reach out to me offering help and their prayers.  Regardless of what happens, we are remaining positive and we have a lot of Christians in our neighborhood that are joining us in prayer as we prepare to embrace what Irma may bring.

You have many more people doing the same way outside of your neighborhood.

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, dtel said:

I hope you all stay safe, just make sure you can get out somewhere if the water becomes higher than expected, everything else can be replaced.

We really don't anticipate any water but I have a row of sandbags in the back just in case.  We aren't in a flood zone and the last I heard, we may get 6" of rain where we are.

Awesome!!!!  TAPE THOSE DOORS if you can't get any plywood on them.  Will greatly improve their wind resistance against all but projectiles...and will help contain the shattering if hit with a projectile.  

My MIL is in Brandon and refused to leave.  I think her house will be fine, but conditions around there could seriously suck without power, and possibly water, for days or weeks given the strength of this thing.  

Lord and Holy Protector,
like the disciples who were caught in their tiny boat
in the midst of a mighty storm,
we come together to seek Your help.
We are fearful as we are surrounded by danger.
We feel helpless and small
before the great power of this perilous time,
a power which is beyond our control.
While everything seems dark and dangerous,
we place our trust in You, our Lord and God.
Sheltered here in our home,
we are also shielded by Your love
against all that might harm us.
We know that You hear all prayers
so we now, filled with confidence,
lift up our petitions to You, our God.

Lord,
we fear for our home,
for our lives and for all we hold dear.
Your sacred blessing is upon this home
and upon each of us as well.
We are secure in the power of that blessing.
May the saving power of the Cross of Your Son, Jesus,
encircle us and our home.
May all evil, all harm and injury,
be repelled by that sacred sign.

May the light of this candle
be for us a holy sign
of Your Divine Presence that fills our home
in the midst of this danger.

Lord and Creator of Storms and of Rainbows,
be with us in this time of danger.

Amen.

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Awesome!!!!  TAPE THOSE DOORS if you can't get any plywood on them.  Will greatly improve their wind resistance against all but projectiles...and will help contain the shattering if hit with a projectile.  

From what I have read...that's actually a myth.  They say that will only cause large chunks of glass to come hurling at you instead of tiny broken pieces.  I'm going to put whatever boards I can on those doors tomorrow to try and help out.  We just have SOOOOO much glass to cover.

12 minutes ago, Mallette said:

My MIL is in Brandon and refused to leave.  I think her house will be fine, but conditions around there could seriously suck without power, and possibly water, for days or weeks given the strength of this thing.

Brandon is just around the corner from us.  Prayed for her safety just now.

6 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

Youthman. Well said and god bless us all here in Florida and hope we all make it safely though this. My 81 year old aunt is standing her ground in Marco island down south, on the west side of the everglades

Prayed for her safety just now.  Wow, I can't imagine being on an island with a hurricane of this magnitude!  We are a bit nervous and we are quite a ways inland.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Mallette said:

BTW, not sure it's been mentioned, but flight tape is really the best for taping windows in my experience.  

I just googled, "does taping windows help during hurricane" and this is what I found https://www.google.com/search?q=does+taping+windows+help+during+hurricane&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Did so on your first post about it as well.  Seems the experts agree.  It's counter intuitive, as strong tape like flight tape SHOULD increase the flex resistance.  But if so many say it doesn't I suppose I'd defer to experts.  I never lost one that was taped...but I also never saw pink elephants when I burned the right incense, either.  

Dave

• Like 1