Klipsch 140SA Placement

marsav

I am considering to install a pair of Klipsch 140SA Atmos Enabled speakers for a 5.1.2 Atmos setup in my living room. Although my front L&R speakers are floor standing I cannot position  the Klipsch 140SA on top of them because there is a shelf just above the speakers which does not allow me to do so.

Nevertheless, I can install the two 140SA at the side of the floor standing speakers on a shelf which is about 20cm from the floor. At this position, the distance from the 140SA to the ceiling will be about 230cm. Will this be a problem in getting the ATMOS effect? 

I read the Dolby Atmos standard recommendations on Atmos enabled speakers but it does not specifiy the height at which such speakers shall be position. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks! 

Edited by marsav

23 hours ago, marsav said:

I am considering to install a pair of Klipsch 140SA Atmos Enabled speakers for a 5.1.2 Atmos setup in my living room. Although my front L&R speakers are floor standing I cannot position  the Klipsch 140SA on top of them because there is a shelf just above the speakers which does not allow me to do so.

Nevertheless, I can install the two 140SA at the side of the floor standing speakers on a shelf which is about 20cm from the floor. At this position, the distance from the 140SA to the ceiling will be about 230cm. Will this be a problem in getting the ATMOS effect? 

I read the Dolby Atmos standard recommendations on Atmos enabled speakers but it does not specifiy the height at which such speakers shall be position. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks! 

20 cm is only near 8 inches tall so, did you get that right? Welcome to the forum...:emotion-21:

21 minutes ago, billybob said:

20 cm is only near 8 inches tall so, did you get that right? Welcome to the forum...:emotion-21:

Thinking that the atmos needs to be closer to the ceiling than 8 inches(3 foot minimum?) for a more focused reflection on ceiling. Of course try it and let us know, as we all learn something by doing.

I have not bought the speakers yet. I was hoping that someone may have them and by chance had them installed lower than the standard height of the floorstanding speakers.

Yes the height from the floor to the speaker will only be around 8-12 inches. At Klipsch's FAQ page it says that a horizontal ceiling between 7.5’ and 14’ high is the most ideal for a Dolby Atmos-enabled elevation speaker. So I assumed that since the distance from the speakers to the ceiling will be at around 7.5 foot it should be fine. However, I am not sure whether the speaker being placed below the listening level will affect the Atmos overall experience. I was hoping that someone had the chance to test them out :-)

Upfiring modules need to be at or above ear level otherwise you get too much direct radiating sound from the speaker likely significantly detracting from the experience.  If you buy with a good return policy no harm in trying but that much below ear level is not likely to work well. 

Unfortunately returning the speakers after testing is not an option since I am located in Cyprus and I have to import the speakers / no local dealer. Return shipping costs are very high.

In-ceiling option is also impossible. My ceiling is made of concrete / no false ceiling. I would love to have Atmos and I was thinking that Klipsch 140SA would have been my solution... 

What if I install them on top of the surround speakers? Those are bookshelf type sitting on speaker stands at listening height. Will that work in a 5.1.2 setup or I will get the confusing effects?

3 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Then just follow the Dolby guidlines and be prepared to go from .2 to .4 if necessary.  I have a feeling you will be fine.:)

I checked the Dolby guideliness and they say that in a .2 setup the speakers shall be positioned at the front. Something that seems I can't do properly :-( It seems I am stuck...

Edited by marsav

Hey guys,

I'm late in the discussion but since I recently got the 140SA too, I thought I could share a few tips who worked for me.

Like most of the people I assumed that putting the speakers on top of my speakers, slightly higher than my ears level would work. hell no. 

My front speakers are 2 Klipsch RF-35, 8 feet high flat pop corn ceiling (urg), couch is roughly 2.5 meters away from the screen. Sony STR-DN1080, 5.1.2 setup

I didn't get any ATMOS effect, just some localized sound coming from the speakers. I was expecting thunder and rain coming on top of my head. Since every room is different I had to move them around, increase the volume, adjusted the crossover to 150Hz (from the manual), putting them higher/lower, next to the couch/behind the couch, leaning them more towards me. nothing worked and I really felt ripped off.

Then coming closer to the speakers I heard the sound coming from the ceiling. Basically it was bouncing all this time 1 meter away from the speakers.

Putting them directly on the floor next to my main speakers actually solved the problem, it increased the bouncing distance and I managed to hit the MLP. still had to adjust slightly the angle if i want the sound exactly on top of my head. Of course by having them on the floor, you can localize the sound directly, so I put a pillow in front of them to block the source and it did the trick. Will update with some acoustic foam to have something cleaner, my GF wants the pillows :D

now I can say it, holy cow, Atmos is amazing

It was worth the headaches. cheers

Edited by Efixe