Should I get Tubes or SS?

Jeff Matthews

19 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

What's the best value?  I'm looking to hear music the way it was meant to be.

Not 30 minutes ago, you posted on the "So long BS forum" thread the following:    "Others, like me, had a high post count but had given up talking about SS vs. tubes and capacitors a long time ago."  This sounds a lot like Mark Twain's efforts to give up smoking and drinking.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Give a guy a break.  I don't know what to talk about anymore. ;)

Jeff, do we really need to ask you what speakers you plan on using, your room size, your sources, etc?  And, your budget?  Vintage Vacuum Audio just posted two completely restored Mcintosh amps for sale.  I have purchased several amps from them before.  They are stunning.

http://www.vintagevacuumaudio.com/product-category/amps-for-sale/

Start small. Buy a restored Sony str 7055. Full well rounded, laid back with a tube sound with fat bottom. No need to adjust bass.

Then buy a Marantz. "Better" sound, clean, neutral, cool with a firmer tighter bass. 

Then buy McIntosh.... People never seem to go back to any suggestions once they buy a Mac. Lol. I wish I could advise you on the sound of a Mac but I REALLY don't want to leave what I have. I like them! 

Good luck.

• Like 1

pick up one of these-they have a pretty good tube signature:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/SainSmart-110V-Assembled-6N3-Hifi-Buffer-Audio-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-Case/302391193039?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1

Inexpensive, one input. Use it with one of your other amps or receivers and see if you like the tubes in your system.

I have heard both system for music and have played the game between SS and tubes.  I have yet to declare one over the other for 4 to 5 years. I would say do both like I do.   The first thing you need to understand, spending more does not mean better.  The Klipsch folks are savvy to this concept.  Pair your gear properly and you will be happy.

• Like 3

Now, now lads. Jeff has been cast into no BS land. His mind numbed by political discourse, he was thrown into an existential tizzy by its sudden loss.  Reeling from shock he tripped over a large pair of speakers gathering dust in a far lost corner of his mind.  Suddenly the idea, no, the frisson, of sonic bliss became enticing again.

But how, he asked? He knew that he once knew, but now, he realized he'd forgotten the hard learned lessons drummed into him by  the technical gurus he'd once studied under. The takeaway from the great SS versus Tubes debates of '04 through '06 had been taken away.

So let's be gentle lads, he needs our guidance. Like a sailor shipwrecked on a far off shore, he'd never learned that the debate had a winner and tubes had emerged the as the only true path to audio nirvosa.

So reach out to Craig, my friend, see if he has a restored Scott 299 he'd let go.  Then kick back and rediscover yourself as reflected in the ongoing glory of musical expression. Perhaps the only true discourse humankind is capable of.

• Like 2

Buy both... then you will be able to make a judgement that will satisfy the most important decision maker, yourself.

Both solid state and tubes have advantages, and both have disadvantages.

Very few of us have only owned One type of amplification and in fact this fascination we have in common is a journey, and along that journey we take different paths.

Start your journey.