bought some used la scalas

Binkstir

I've wanted a set of la scalas for 30 years since I heard a set when I was a teen in a high end stereo store. While researching what I had bought, I ran across an audio forum where members were saying the la scalas were some of  the worst sounding speakers ever made. I will say they seem to be lacking in bass a bit. I've read a little about modifications that can be made to them, replacing tweeters and the like.  I do know that they are original in every way from the 80s. Although I've always wanted a pair, I'm lacking in experience. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

There is a modification that adds ports to the bottom of the bass horn cabinet. Some really like the results. Search this forum for "LaScala bass mods" or some such and I'm sure you will find it. Someone else might jump in here and point you directly to it. I know member @Full Range has a set that has been modified. Others just add a subwoofer or two(or 3 or 4) if they find the bass lacking. There are also other modifications that stiffen the bass horn cabinet walls. Enjoy

I don't think they lack bass at all......what are you listening to that you think is lacking? What have you got powering them? If original may need crossover rebuild. 

That audio forum you came across they obliviously lack the facts on sound reproduction and any ability to go to a real music venue to compare a speaker to real world events.

Congrats on the speakers - LaScalas were my first ever Klipsch experience and that got me hooked (though I ended up with Khorns). I would mind LaScalas for the living room setup but in Europe they are pretty costly. Bass is indeed lacking in depth (to my ears at least). Personally I would ad a sub - but first listen to them the way they are - once you are more familiar with them you might discover aspects you don't like but then you can mod according to your wishes - be it different drivers, networks etc. Anyway, this forum offers a wealth of information - for the time being - enjoy your new toys.

Bass is a subjective topic

Let's just say that the La Scala reproduces accurate bass, but overall they are blended well for all music genres 

I have nothing against low bass as long as a speaker reproduction of it is accurate 

All to often it's just a drone and not very pleasant and draining to the listener 

Low frequency is added / mixed to audio media these days without thinking about the rest of the audio spectrum 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Binkstir said:

I've wanted a set of la scalas for 30 years since I heard a set when I was a teen in a high end stereo store. While researching what I had bought, I ran across an audio forum where members were saying the la scalas were some of  the worst sounding speakers ever made. I will say they seem to be lacking in bass a bit. I've read a little about modifications that can be made to them, replacing tweeters and the like.  I do know that they are original in every way from the 80s. Although I've always wanted a pair, I'm lacking in experience. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/172042-nice-la-scala-article/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, babadono said:

There is a modification that adds ports to the bottom of the bass horn cabinet. Some really like the results. Search this forum for "LaScala bass mods" or some such and I'm sure you will find it. Someone else might jump in here and point you directly to it. I know member @Full Range has a set that has been modified. Others just add a subwoofer or two(or 3 or 4) if they find the bass lacking. There are also other modifications that stiffen the bass horn cabinet walls. Enjoy

True - but once you add ports to the speaker known for its three-way horn design it is no longer a LaScala. 

the 8 cardinal rules....

OK, I am not sure of the file size limitation and this is 2.2mb, but I am going to try it. It's 144dpi so should print reasonably.

If it doesn't go, I'll dumb it down to screen res and try again.

Dave

PS - Appears to be there. I was correct in the first place. Please forgive my cluttered mind. Also, it appears to have been published in 1961. I believe Paul told me he'd written the basics by 1947.

Enjoy. If you have not read this, you don't know Paul.

PWK8Cardsml.pdf

• Like 1

On 7/3/2017 at 1:59 PM, dirtmudd said:

you must learn the 8 cardinal rules

Only Klipsch speakers and Klipsch 3-speaker master stereo system meet the 8 cardinal points of reperoduction:

1.Freedom from distrortion. Minimum distortion requires small amplitudes of air mass movements, even at peak transisnt power output. Bass diaphragm motion should not eceed 1/16 inch. Corner placement reduces distortion three fourths.

2.Optimium size of speaker. Large enough to reproduce the lowest audible bass tone at peak transient power output without distortion; not so large as to produce a separation of bass and treble events. Corner placement increases effective size of speaker 4 times.

3.Freedom from rattles.

4.Freedom from shadows. Obstructions between high frequency speaker and listeners can not be tolerated - treble wave-lengths do not turn corners. 

5.Freedom from cavities. The space under a speaker box formed by mounting it on legs can destroy the bottom octave of response and deteriorate the next 2 octaves.

6.Adequate spacing for stereo. In a 14 x 17 foot room, for example, the 17-foot wall is apt to be best for the stereo speaker array.

7.Accurate spatial values. Ability to localize the virtual sound sources in their original spatial relationships requires 3 widely spaced speakers, regardless of size or type, retention of this quality over a wide listening area requires toe-in of the flanking speakers.

8.Flanking speakers toed-in. Such toe-in is naturally provided by corner speakers. The effect is to reduce shift of the virtual sound source for different listener locations. This is the only way to achieve a wide area for listening. 

• Thanks 1

Depending on the age of your La Scalas, they may need the crossover capacitors replaced.  Bob Crites is a good source for replacements.  Provided there are no damaged drivers, they shouldn't need anything else.  La Scalas may not go as low as other speakers, but what they do produce will be very clean.  You will hear an improvement in the bass if you can place them in corners.

On 9/6/2017 at 7:13 PM, richieb said:

True - but once you add ports to the speaker known for its three-way horn design it is no longer a LaScala. 

I respectfully disagree.  These La Scalas have the djk bass bin modifation.  The ports are in the back of the top hat, which is otherwise closed.  Even with that mod and the bass bin braces, they are still La Scalas exposing hundreds of high school band students to the glory of Klipsch high efficiency low distortion horn loaded dynamic power.

BTW, even without the mod, the bass horn unloads below ~100 hz, thus making it a direct radiator at its lowest frequencies.  The easily reversible bass bin mod enhances the useable low frequency output without sacrificing the tight La Scala bass. A tiny reduction in efficiency is the only trade off.  As modified, these La Scalas are capable of loud and clear output when powered by as little as a flea watt TDA7297 class D chip amp,

IMG_0142.JPG

The bass bin mod as done through the top.

IMO, these are still Klipsch La Scalas.  On the other hand, the "Super Heresys" I'm building are not Klipsch speakers, despite containing many Klipsch components and modifying a Klipsch designed product.

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

@DizRotus can you explain how porting the top hat on a la sala helps? I thought ports would only help with woofers, not the mid-range and tweeters horns.

First a large hole is cut in the top of the doghouse.  The added volume of the top hat is approximately the same as the volume of the box put beneath the doghouse.  You're correct, the ports only affect the woofer.  Theoretically, this method is not as easily reversible.  With the box under the doghouse, you only need to remove the box, replace the bottom cover and return the network to stock.  This method would require fashioning a cap to close the hole in the doghouse and the network un-mod.

I say "theoretically," because I have NEVER heard of anyone reversing this mod.

• Like 1

The original LaScala was a top-loader design, you removed the top, the mid horn, the woofer hatch, and then you could access the woofer. On a top-loader you only need remove the hatch and add the ported board across the back.

Two 4" diameter by 7" long ports seem to be the best.

An EV Interface A EQ makes the vented LaScala flat to 32hz.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electro-Voice-Interface-A-Equalizer-/112563237144?hash=item1a354ab118:g:45gAAOSw1G1ZqMT7

Other versions can be made to work with a change to two resistors per channel.

(also older AudioControl EQ's)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Control-Equalizer-Model-520-Made-in-USA-/272846490615?hash=item3f86eb0bf7:g:0IkAAOSwlEdZry6e

Thanks so much for all the replies,  the receiver I have has a menu to enter to increase the bass and that's has made a difference for sure but I'm not discounting the suggested upgrades. I'm still so happy I have these speakers. I've been scanning craigslist and ebay for years to try to find an affordable pair near me. I paid $1000 dollars for them. The guy had them for thirty years and bought them brand new. Said he had dragged them everywhere with him and he actually teared up when we were making the transaction.

18 minutes ago, Binkstir said:

Thanks so much for all the replies,  the receiver I have has a menu to enter to increase the bass and that's has made a difference for sure but I'm not discounting the suggested upgrades. I'm still so happy I have these speakers. I've been scanning craigslist and ebay for years to try to find an affordable pair near me. I paid $1000 dollars for them. The guy had them for thirty years and bought them brand new. Said he had dragged them everywhere with him and he actually teared up when we were making the transaction.

post some pictures