Klipsch RF7 II amp

AlmostGod

1 hour ago, AlmostGod said:

I'm very interested in picking up the centrer channel to match the RF7 II's one day, it's the RC 62 right? Or is it the 64? 

The RC-64II is the matching center speaker.

1 hour ago, AlmostGod said:

What would you pick for Home Theater then?

I think my best bed would be a very good receiver with pre outs, or a processor so I can play around with different amps.

If you can afford a preamp-processor/amp combo, then that is the route I suggest.  Otherwise a top tier AVR with preouts is next best.

Bill

1 hour ago, moray james said:

you are running on the very hairy edge simply waiting for the day your supply filter caps in your AU717 go south and you stand a very good chance of losing your RF7ll when they do. Your amp long ago stopped sounding its best. You should take your AU717 to a good tek and have all the electrolytic caps replaced/upgraded you will be stunned by the improvement. A friend of mine has converted a number of Sansui from transistor output to mosfet outputs when replacing all the caps. There are options. What you are doing now is not at all wise. Look into a new amp there are lots out there at the least you need a replacement while you have your 717 rebuilt. Running an amp past 40 years is a very bad bet.

I've got everything to address the typical issues at home already.   I've never heard of an issue with a power supply cascading through circuit and destroying speakers with an AU-717 (this is a Sansui, not a Phase Linear :P)

I've got an SX-1980 I could switch in, but it's too heavy for the glass top on my TV stand lol.   That was recapped about 4 years ago, but I put a TxTurbo power supply in that last fall (remote mounting some transistors to the heat sinks).

1980 PS.jpeg

your electrolytic's were old at 20 years and not sounding like they did when new, at 40 years they are just waiting to explode. I figured that you really liked your 717 so my suggestion. your amp your call.

Do some research on how long the caps in amps like yours last they were not high quality caps they were low to mid quality parts (at best) of the day these are not like the paper in oil motor run caps used in tube amps which if top quality can last this long and more. I mention this in case there are others in a similar situation who might want to consider some fresh caps for their vintage amplifiers. Caps do have a life span.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, willland said:

The RC-64II is the matching center speaker.

If you can afford a preamp-processor/amp combo, then that is the route I suggest.  Otherwise a top tier AVR with preouts is next best.

Bill

Bill,

Okay, and what pre-amp would you suggest? Or is the pre-amp less important than the power amp? I do want a remote, I had a setup where I had mono amps borrowed from a friend but I had to manually turn them on and off, and since my 2.0 is in my bedroom I didn't listen much since I was too lazy to go out of bed just to turn them on for let's say an hour, a remote control is a must..

3 hours ago, AlmostGod said:

is the pre-amp less important than the power amp?

The preamp is very important for it's sound qualities, processing, EQ, etc. but the amp is what is going to provide the dynamics, punch, bass drive, etc.

Okay, and what pre-amp would you suggest?

A good many preamp/processors to choose from.  From $$ to $$$$.  Offerings from Anthem, Marantz, Onkyo/Integra, Yamaha, NAD, and others are available on the used, new, and new/refurbished market.

Bill

3 hours ago, willland said:

The preamp is very important for it's sound qualities, processing, EQ, etc. but the amp is what is going to provide the dynamics, punch, bass drive, etc.

A good many preamp/processors to choose from.  From $$ to $$$$.  Offerings from Anthem, Marantz, Onkyo/Integra, Yamaha, NAD, and others are available on the used, new, and new/refurbished market.

Bill

WIll probably go to the used market, at least for the Preamp haha. How are the Emotiva power amps? Are they any good?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Another option is an avr with preout and a used Acurus 3 or 5 channel amp.  I don't use a separate preamp and also use a 40 watt tube amp for my RF 7 II system.  I use the SS system  or tube system for 2 ch and the SS for HT in my signature.

I've tried finding Acurus here but it's not or very very hard to find :(. I read a lot of good stuff about Yamaha and NAD for the RF7's. I'd like to try something new, like a good preamp with a seperate power amp, like a Sunfire Stereo Amp which has 300 watts each on 8 Ohms. But I don't want to 'risk' getting something finding it's not the best and then letting go of it again... 

I listen music where bass is important, mostly electronic music as well. A few others (I believe Bill) said that the Yamaha may not be the way to go for this kind of music.

I'd like to have more watts per channal as I have now, I currently have 80 watts and it's sufficient, but I feel more watts would benefit my RF7's since my source volume is very low.

I listen music where bass is important, mostly electronic music as well. A few others (I believe Bill) said that the Yamaha may not be the way to go for this kind of music.

I am really not sure if I said that or not but my Yamaha A-S1000 integrated has bass drive capabilities in abundance.

Bill

I tthink the Hegel is out of my budget for now, I also dont know if I want a seperate preamp or an intergrated, I do know I want something newer, so not too old. Anyone else with more ideas? What are ya'll using with your RF7's?

I took my Luxman over to a friends house to audition his RF7II....amazing with my
Luxman 550AX.

177ccdd67488ff4385f9ca42e016bc38.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I think just about any speaker will sound great with that piece.:emotion-21:

What a beauty.:wub:

Bill

It sure is....thanks Bill. Don't be fooled by 20Wpch...Luxman quotes class A operation only. It's a very powerful amplifier. (Switches to A/B after 20 watts - think max of 60-70Wpch)

When I first started looking at amplifiers I had the same mind set...more watts is better. For efficient speakers my mind set has definitely changed.

22 minutes ago, AlmostGod said:

I don't know if it's I this thread, but about the Yamaha not being the best for the music I listen. 

I may have said that but not really sure why unless you were expressing displeasure with that genre of music and Yamaha together.

It really does not matter, Rock On.:D

Bill

23 minutes ago, Sprogk said:

It sure is....thanks Bill. Don't be fooled by 20Wpch...Luxman quotes class A operation only. It's a very powerful amplifier. (Switches to A/B after 20 watts - think max of 60-70Wpch)

When I first started looking at amplifiers I had the same mind set...more watts is better. For efficient speakers my mind set has definitely changed.

If I could afford that Luxman, Id be so happy haha. 

4 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Just remember, the difference off a 100 watt amp and a 200 watt amp is roughly on 3 db.  One thing with old used amps, that may require repair or restorative work .

Would you go for a HT receiver or a stereo amp? I don't know if I ever want to get the center. I always feel that the ht receiver have more bang for the buck, but on the other hand I feel like the stereo amps for the same price with less options are better haha.