The Wussification of college students

T2K

Show on the TV the other night about college tuition debt. There was lots of crying when the realization hit that they had to actually pay back the loans that were secured for an education. Just wait till they learn about mortgages. And retirement. Oh woe is me!

• Like 2

initially, I clicked the 'hahaha' emoji dealio, but then took it off, cause it's really sad that many of our younger people seem to think like that.  not all but I think many of them do.  just plain sad.  and I think @oldtimer is right - started with the parents

The article had me up to the point where the author says that an employee should feel grateful for having a job — any job. The idea that anyone should be "grateful" to have a job is utter bullshit — it's the kind of propaganda that employers have been spewing for generations, and have been using as a tool in an attempt to keep workers under their control and afraid to exercise their rights as workers. 

The fact is that a job — every job — is a business arrangement between an employer and an employee. The employer gives the employee money in exchange for services rendered. An employer isn't providing a job to the undeserving simply out of the goodness of their heart, the employee provides something of value to the employer and the employer pays for it. This is Business 101.

Although luck may enter into someone's ability to find a particular job in a particular location at a particular time, once a person is hired it is their value to their employer (a result of the employee's knowledge, skill and expertise) that keeps them employed, not any charity from their employer for which the employee should somehow feel grateful. Every day that you show up and do good work you are earning not only your pay, you are also earning your continued employment. Workers need to realize this fact of the business world and stop feeling like Bob Cratchit, who was unfairly made by Scrooge to feel grateful for finally being given what he had earned in the first place.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I went to college in the 1970s and I don't recall any of the students I knew feeling persecuted. Obviously, that's a mono-racial perspective, but I really don't remember anyone's feelings being hurt. There was some long-standing town v. gown animus and some of the townies were still agog over "hippies"and thought that Greek life, football and panty raids were still what students ought to do. Yeah, we wasted time being wasted, and maybe we all didn't achieve high GPAs. But I never heard anyone whine about being slighted or needing trigger warnings.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2017 at 0:06 PM, oldtimer said:

It all starts with the parents.

Not always.

I know plenty of parents who find their kids " unrecognizable" after a year or two away at college.

My daughter was exposed to this crap will at school but fortunately she placed more valued inwhat her old man had to say then some academic who couldn't survive outside the cocoon of the university walls

• Like 1

Lots of food for thought here.

In the pursuit of a society without fear many have lost the ability to cope effectively with real world issues and stresses.

Fear is a fact of life.

Escape is fiction.

And liberal BS enables it all.

Fight for what matters to you every day, or live in fear all your life. Unless your prescription pill for fiction fits the bill.

Refugees of a free society. 

Collateral damage from over-compensation.

Freedom isn't free! (It costs a buck-o-five, a buck-o-five...)

1 hour ago, boom3 said:

I went to college in the 1970s and I don't recall any of the students I knew feeling persecuted. Obviously, that's a mono-racial perspective, but I really don't remember anyone's feelings being hurt. There was some long-standing town v. gown animus and some of the townies were still agog over "hippies"and thought that Greek life, football and panty raids were still what students ought to do. Yeah, we wasted time being wasted, and maybe we all didn't achieve high GPAs. But I never heard anyone whine about being slighted or needing trigger warnings.

Yes but the '70's were wholly different. Recall that until the early 2000's kids had to " earn" a first place trophy,  second place and so on. 

Now in order not to upset a kiddo, and mostly the parents, that Dick and Jane didn't get to take a trophy home for finishing last, they are placated with one anyway. So the best and worst load up the car with smiles, not tears on their faces. And so it continues from there.

2 hours ago, EmilC said:

Not always.

I know plenty of parents who find their kids " unrecognizable" after a year or two away at college.

My daughter was exposed to this crap will at school but fortunately she placed more valued inwhat her old man had to say then some academic who couldn't survive outside the cocoon of the university walls

You proved my point.

1 hour ago, geoff. said:

Lots of food for thought here.

In the pursuit of a society without fear many have lost the ability to cope effectively with real world issues and stresses.

Fear is a fact of life.

Escape is fiction.

And liberal BS enables it all.

Fight for what matters to you every day, or live in fear all your life. Unless your prescription pill for fiction fits the bill.

Refugees of a free society. 

Collateral damage from over-compensation.

Freedom isn't free! (It costs a buck-o-five, a buck-o-five...)

if you don't pitch in your buck-o-five who will.....

May I suggest that the mids at USNA are not wussified and after their service commitment they will fit right into any high-pressure position in the private sector that they can land. They will accept responsibility and take care of business. They will not wilt under pressure. 

That goes for USMA and USAFA too. But we all know USNA is #1! :) 

There are no participation trophies given at any of these institutions. No hurt feelings reports will be filed. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geoff. said:
3 hours ago, EmilC said:

Not always.

Yes, Always; As in always has, and always will start with the parents.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2017 at 7:32 PM, hsosdrummer said:

the employee provides something of value to the employer and the employer pays for it.

There are plenty of employee's who do not provide anything of value other than being a body on a sales floor - and in some cases that is a liability.  I can not count how many former coworkers I've dealt with that saw work as a pure imposition, but then would complain that they felt they should get paid more when they're not even doing anything on the sales floor.

I understand the point of view here - but there is a place for the comment of "you should be happy to have a job" - no job should pay you for doing nothing and there are a good number of people who want that job who are willing to accept that pay that won't get it because of a useless body in that position.