The Wussification of college students

T2K

Pendulum swings and truths on both sides.  I am saying this as I am working on a beautiful Sunday afternoon because others are relying on me and this is my responsibility. 

I am reading Nixonland, where the baby boomers were the lazy over-entitled kids of the greatest generation.  I am generation X and we were lazy ungrateful druggies as told by the baby boomers.  Now the millennials are lazy cry babies. 

In every generation there are over entitled lazy immature kids and there are hard workers, and a lot of in between.  In college getting a professional degree it was well known and understood that you had to work your *** of to get through and it did not matter what the slackers were doing elsewhere.   In the business world you do need to be strong to survive and if you are going to own a business you had better be disciplined as hell because it all comes down to you. 

I do see middle aged people who take money from their parents.  I would be ashamed to ever do this, especially at this age.  A mixed bunch in every generation.  

• Like 2

Great story, especially in light of things happening today as nothing new ever really happens, but he did such a thorough job in his research that the book is about 300 pages too long for my use which is just reading for pleasure. 

This book would be a goldmine for research as it is so thorough.  I can't imagine how many hours he put into this.  The level of detail is really amazing, but it is a little boring. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The History Kid said:

There are plenty of employee's who do not provide anything of value other than being a body on a sales floor - and in some cases that is a liability.  I can not count how many former coworkers I've dealt with that saw work as a pure imposition, but then would complain that they felt they should get paid more when they're not even doing anything on the sales floor.

I understand the point of view here - but there is a place for the comment of "you should be happy to have a job" - no job should pay you for doing nothing and there are a good number of people who want that job who are willing to accept that pay that won't get it because of a useless body in that position.

Any employer who knowingly continues to employ a worker who is not providing fair service and value for their compensation is either a) providing charity, or b) a lousy businessperson. And if the employer doesn't know that the worker is not providing adequate service and value, the employer is still a lousy businessperson who needs to know what's really going on in their business if they ever want to succeed. 

Let me direct a question to those of you who own or manage a business and have others in your employ: Is there a single person on your payroll who you feel does not provide you with service and value that justifies the money (and benefits, if you offer any) you pay them? If so, then those employees are receiving your charity to one degree or another, and only those employees may have any reason to feel grateful to be employed. All your other employees, the ones who give you adequate (or more than adequate) work in exchange for their wages are fulfilling their business arrangement with you, and therefore, should be no more grateful for their employment than you should be for having them in your employ.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

imo a bunch of condescending bullshit from the last generation to falsely believe they are hard workers and see reality that supposedly the latest generation doesnt work hard and therefore they are lazy and incompetent.  

growing up in the postwar boom would have been awfully nice right?  Family can live on one income....no problem....jobs a plenty.   most people in ww2 era served in some fashion or sacrificed.

the 60s 70s generation of hippees and flowers?  Lol dont tell me how hard u had it sure if u served in nam u did....everybody else bs.  the dripping condescension and agreement kinda makes me sick.  im 46 i work hard always had a job....i would never think or say any of this.  

the few who actually started with nothing and became a success.....kudos....to the rest learn humility....its what is missing today....not lack of will

• Like 1

‘Wussificiation’ of America: Is it real?

1. The Business World Doesn’t Give A Damn About You
    -Well, duh!
    -some appearence of a damn might be given if you are a member of a protected class.

2. The Only Safe Place Is Your Home
RELATED: The lowering of higher education
    -Pretty much... assuming your home was safe.

3. There’s No Such Thing As “Free”
    -I don't expect "FREE" but how about not completely outpacing inflation by double year after year after year!  Government just makes it worse... Any need based scholarships completely ignore any government loans or pell grants so colleges can automatically raise their prices that much more.   It is absolute bullshit that my kids' 4 year degree is going to cost over $200,000. Incredible discipline and hard work was rewarded... it would suck to be an average student.  If that is the case go some place cheaper if you can find it.  Maybe look into FEE

4. If You Don’t Want To Be A Victim, Then Don’t Be
    -Refer to number 1 

5. Success Is Hard Work
    -And businesses are glad to take advantage of technology to help keep you on the clock 24/7.  By the way, your smart phone (paid for by you) is now the equivalent to driving your car to work.  It is just part of your responsibility.  It is the business tether to keep you tied to work all day and night without you even thinking about it and you also get to foot the bill.  Your consolation is that you might be able to do your work while sitting in your underwear at home vs. having to go back in.  If I'm working, whether at home or work... I am not paying attention to my family except that I am trying to provide.  Take a long hard look at what "Success" means!  hint... it ain't more stuff (Klipsch collections excepted)!
    -Researchers say the number of working hours has declined after the industrial revolution but I think as the lines have blurred between home and work the reality is that many people are working more than in a long time.  It would be interesting to track my cell phone and computer time for work related activity.
    -Oh, and try working smarter while working harder.  It's the only way your gonna make it.

Everybody's story is different... we really need to be careful about making blanket statements about an entire generation.  There are awesome as well as awful acting people in every generation... and the rest are somewhere in between.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hsosdrummer said:

Any employer who knowingly continues to employ a worker who is not providing fair service and value for their compensation is either a) providing charity, or b) a lousy businessperson. And if the employer doesn't know that the worker is not providing adequate service and value, the employer is still a lousy businessperson who needs to know what's really going on in their business if they ever want to succeed. 

Let me direct a question to those of you who own or manage a business and have others in your employ: Is there a single person on your payroll who you feel does not provide you with service and value that justifies the money (and benefits, if you offer any) you pay them? If so, then those employees are receiving your charity to one degree or another, and only those employees may have any reason to feel grateful to be employed. All your other employees, the ones who give you adequate (or more than adequate) work in exchange for their wages are fulfilling their business arrangement with you, and therefore, should be no more grateful for their employment than you should be for having them in your employ.

For your information there are plenty of employers that knowingly keep these people on either because they're afraid of looking like they're something they're not (racists, bigots, what have you). There are plenty store level managers who won't terminate slouches because they lack the backbone to confront them as well.

My source: I've worked for 5 of these people at 5 different locations in 3 different companies.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

For your information there are plenty of employers that knowingly keep these people on either because they're afraid of looking like they're something they're not (racists, bigots, what have you). There are plenty store level managers who won't terminate slouches because they lack the backbone to confront them as well.

My source: I've worked for 5 of these people at 5 different locations in 3 different companies.

My point is that the vast majority of employees (including yourself, I'm sure) do work that is equal-to or above-and-beyond the call of duty, and provide fair value for their compensation. Those employees have no reason to be "grateful" that they continue to be employed, they earn their continued employment. The employer/employee relationship is a two-way business arrangement that is to the benefit of both parties — it is not a gift bestowed by some anonymous benefactor. The more that workers feel that they're somehow "lucky" to have a job, the more they allow themselves to be taken advantage of.

The 'slacker' workers you describe are the reverse: They are taking advantage of their employers. Like a smart employee, a smart employer won't allow themselves to be taken advantage of either.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hsosdrummer said:

They are taking advantage of their employers. Like a smart employee, a smart employer won't allow themselves to be taken advantage of either.

Absolutely agreed.  I don't argue the "grateful" aspect - at the end of the day, most good employers won't look at you in that respect.  The one's who do generally are aware of internal issues and use that as their bargaining chip.  The down side to all of this is you get some of the slackers, or the non-confrontational people as I described into management, the whole system falls to pieces, and as a result you have a lazy workforce that gets away with making mistakes, not doing anything, and feeling as if they're entitled to more than the money going into their pockets.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Absolutely agreed.  I don't argue the "grateful" aspect - at the end of the day, most good employers won't look at you in that respect.  The one's who do generally are aware of internal issues and use that as their bargaining chip.  The down side to all of this is you get some of the slackers, or the non-confrontational people as I described into management, the whole system falls to pieces, and as a result you have a lazy workforce that gets away with making mistakes, not doing anything, and feeling as if they're entitled to more than the money going into their pockets.

Now thats a truth that has existed for all time.  the higher an incompetent or slacker goes up the chain the greater the damage.  nepotism is a good example of how this is allowed to happen

27 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Now thats a truth that has existed for all time.  the higher an incompetent or slacker goes up the chain the greater the damage.  nepotism is a good example of how this is allowed to happen

A complete gem.  It's not only true of just business either.

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, jwgorman said:

Please tell me you are not equating victims of sexual assault with hurt feelings. 

I'm not equating anything.  These institutions, including the Naval Acadamy were not taking these allegations seriously.  According to the report the Navy, Army and Airforce were equating allegations of sexual assault and harassment with something much, much less and they were whitewashing it.

Two if the top instructors were kicked out of the Academy for having consensual sex with cadets.  That is sexual harrasment.  The Navy was going to smooth it over until they ran into a buzz saw after the report came out.

• Like 1

You will get no argument from me that sexual predators need to be drummed out of all institutions. 

No human institution is without faults and failures. Military Academies are not exempt. My point was simply these institutions uphold high standards and the Marines and Sailors who graduate from USNA are top notch individuals. (And West Point and USAFA too)

So, yeah, no hurt feeling reports, no triggered snowflakes at Annapolis. Kids can be held to a high standard and make great leaders. 

19 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Now thats a truth that has existed for all time.  the higher an incompetent or slacker goes up the chain the greater the damage.

Indeed. The idea is codified in the Peter Principle: In an organization, people will tend to rise to the level of their incompetence.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Berkeley.....of course

University professors reaping what they sow:D   At least the professor stood firm.

Students cant handle the stress of midterms. Oh boy

" University of California, Berkeley students recently protested their midterm exam, demanding a take-home essay instead.

A Youtube video of the scene shows the Berkeley students commanding the in-class exam to be replaced with a “take-home essay with significant time to prepare,” but Professor Harley Shaiken declines their demands."

https://www.turningpoint.news/berkeley-students-protest-exam/?utm_content=buffer977c7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! :lol: I came back to this thread to make a comment, but when I clicked on the link between this phrase" wussification (verb): The act of turning one into a wussy. " and this one "The wussification of American children is notable." was a Klipsch sales banner! 

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:35 AM, T2K said:

50 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

was a Klipsch sales banner

Many banners are catered to you using information from your previous searches.  if you look at or for something, there's a good chance you'll get an ad for that on your trip through the interweb.