Fan exchange QSC CX, RMX, PLX(2) and PL

jwc

So I know this has been discussed but the threads are leaving me a little empty to make a decision.

Here is an old comment from a QSC forum.....

http://forum.qscservice.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=5518

Now, I would like for those who have changed their fans..... to share what they think is valuable information.   Obviously the fan used, change-out tricks or concerns, or problems.   Yes there are videos on this....but what is your experience.

I have 2 QSC CX1102s that have a fan noise that isn't that bad.....but I'm considering the mod.

thanks

jc

Be sure you orient the fan correctly.  Take note of which direction the air flows prior to disassembly.

Quiet fans are important but so is airflow.  Typically home use doesn't require as high of a CFM as pro use but it's something to look at.

Be sure you get the right voltage fan,  There are 12v and 24v models.  I believe QSC uses 24v but double check before you order anything.

It's really easier than you think.

• Like 1

I did it on a few amps and sent you the part numbers.  On one of the amps I have been using it daily for 10 years in an office system (low output) and no problems.  Other is in storage. 

Give it a try, the fans are cheap.  Putting the amp back together was a little tricky but not that bad if I remember correctly. 

3 hours ago, Zim. said:

You will notice  on the digi-key site this part number (P9739-D)  is obsolete with a direct substitute listed.  P14751-ND   https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nmb-technologies-corporation/3110SB-05W-B20-E00/P14751-ND/2615564

I have 4 QSC PLX-1202 (and a couple K2) amps in my home theater.  While the fan noise was not overbearing it certainly was noticeable from the rack 10' away.  I replaced the fans in all 4 with the P14751-ND. 

It's a very simple operation.  The replacement comes with leads installed but no connector.  I used the connector from the factory fan and simply spliced it to the replacement leads. 

The swap will cut that noise significantly; almost to nil, but not quite.   The new fan does seem to move less air but overheating is a non-factor in my system .  It was without a doubt a worthwhile modification for me.

That all sounds right.  I do remember splicing the leads (this was years a go).  The only part that was tricky at all was getting the cardboard flow tunnel to lien up properly, but not that hard.  The low flow fans are really quiet.  In a home environment they should be handle anything as these amps are pushed very hard in commercial settings. 

Give it a try.  I used the PLX amps compared to Bryston 7Bs and Classe CAM 350s.  The PLX did very well at a small fraction of the cost.  I still use a 1202 every day in my office (using it right now). 

You have to get about 2 or 3 foot from the amp to hear the fan and it is very faint.  If you put your ear next to the vent you can hear the fan buzzing along.  I sit about 8 feet from the amp and cannot hear it at all. 

If you buy a fan, buy 2 or 3.  They are cheap and shipping is high, so it is nice to have extras if you ever buy more amps.  I bought a second one and it was nice to already have the fan. 

37 minutes ago, jwc said:

Wow.  19 dB rated.  I think my AC floor vents are louder than that.

I have 7 fans running in my entertainment center.  4 are in my amps, one is in a box on top of my pre pro and 2 exhaust heat out the back of the unit.  You'd never know it unless I told you.

• 2 weeks later...

OK.  So I changed out the fans on two different QSC CX amps.  The process is a Pain in the A$$ really.  No formal screws....just plastic snap-ons and having to deal with not tearing the Cardboard.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nmb-technologies-corporation/3110SB-05W-B20-E00/P14751-ND/2615564

So I installed the above fans....yes in the correct direction.  These are silent.  You can't hear them.  Barely feel airflow.....but it is working.  One may consider getting the same fan but slightly different version with a little more air flow and a little more noise if you are gonna push the amps.

The stock fans are too noisy in the home. 

jc

3 hours ago, jwc said:

OK.  So I changed out the fans on two different QSC CX amps.  The process is a Pain in the A$$ really.  No formal screws....just plastic snap-ons and having to deal with not tearing the Cardboard.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nmb-technologies-corporation/3110SB-05W-B20-E00/P14751-ND/2615564

So I installed the above fans....yes in the correct direction.  These are silent.  You can't hear them.  Barely feel airflow.....but it is working.  One may consider getting the same fan but slightly different version with a little more air flow and a little more noise if you are gonna push the amps.

The stock fans are too noisy in the home. 

jc

Sorry for the bad info above where I said it was tricky.  Now I do remember it being difficult to work with the snap in fasteners and lining up the cardboard flow tunnel without ripping it was the hard part.  It was not as easy as just smoothly taking apart and putting back together.

Glad it worked out.  Listen very carefully and you can hear the fan when you are close. 

"""Just turn the music a little louder."""

That IS effective.

The fan on the CX series is a louder than the PLX2 series.  I believe the CX is very similar to the RMX series as they are heavy with big transformers.  The CX was intended for permanent install.  Those three series have the same Fan changeout method I believe.

I can hear the PLX2 fans when I turn things on.......and the washer, the dryer, the toilet flushing, the AC, my PC, and farting too..............You gotta turn it up baby!!!

It's never good if you can hear yourself fart when the music is playing.  You should be able to rumble the chair without giving anything away and only the smell should be detectable.  This is why you need the high airflow fans on your amps in the first place.

• Like 1

No worries.  My rips are silent.

My background AC is only heard if the music is off.  

If I'm beer drinkin. ..and jammin.....I hear nothing but the music.  Even if u knock on my locked man cave door.

• Like 1