510 horn on a K horn bass bin

tigerwoodKhorns

Unlike the guys who live and breath this stuff, I would need to check my notes to verify, but from memory you need the cutoff frequency to be 1/2 to one octave below the crossover point to properly load the driver.  Think of blowing through a small straw vs a very large straw.  You run out of air more quickly with a large straw (lower back-pressure). 

La Scala is a 500 hz cutoff and K Horn is 400.  The crossovers are the same because of some complicated mechanical properties (acoustic cutoff) that someone else smarter than me can explain. 

My goal is to build matching custom K Horns and La Scalas where I can swap out the top hats plug and play. 

14 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Will a 510 horn work on a K Horn bass bin (go down to 400 hz)?

I would recommend the K-510 for a La Scala or Belle, but probably not a Khorn bass bin.  The K-510 polars with something like a K-691 driver looks like it dies at about 450-500 Hz, and you'll need something that will go to 400 Hz cleanly to integrate with a Khorn bass bin. 

It's also a bit tight using a K-402, since most 2" compression drivers don't like to go below 425 Hz: they typically begin to sound ragged below ~450 Hz. You'll probably wind up having to use very steep slope crossover filters (24 or 48 dB/octave) to get the two to cross without a frequency response gap.  Then you'd have to compensate for the additional 180 or 270 degree phase lag on the bass bin. 

If you used a replacement motor board in the Khorn bass bin with an even smaller slot, you may be able to get there using a K-510, but it would be close.

Chris

• Like 1

The plan is custom tops that can be swapped from La Scalas to K Horns. 

I have Beyma SMC 8060s and Community M200's for one top section and JBL 2404 and 2470's for the other. 

It looks like I should just build a few sets of Tractrix horns with a mid to maybe high 200 low point depending on how big they are when I run the equation. 

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Think of blowing through a small straw vs a very large straw.  You run out of air more quickly with a large straw (lower back-pressure.)

Please don't remind me of that dreadful "blow" test each year at my physical. :o

18 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Will a 510 horn work on a K Horn bass bin (go down to 400 hz)? 

k400 does not really go low enough for a Khorn (Khorn does not go high enough) so a K510 will be an greater compromise.

K55 will play about as low as you could want in a small format driver the EV DH1A will play very low (have read 300Hz if you need it to at home).

10 minutes ago, moray james said:

k400 does not really go low enough for a Khorn (Khorn does not go high enough) so a K510 will be an greater compromise.

K55 will play about as low as you could want in a small format driver the EV DH1A will play very low (have read 300Hz if you need it to at home).

The 510 would be for the Community M200s that you recommended.  My other alternative is to build a pair of Tractrix horns.

I have seen K400's and Altec 511's used on K Horns so I know that the 510s will "work" but I might be better off with a Tractrix with an Fc of say 275 or so. 

1 minute ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

The 510 would be for the Community M200s that you recommended.  My other alternative is to build a pair of Tractrix horns.

I have seen K400's and Altec 511's used on K Horns so I know that the 510s will "work" but I might be better off with a Tractrix with an Fc of say 275 or so. 

The Altec 511b is a fair bit larger physically than the k510.