DIY-philips

BBZink

Hi

Kindly ask for help, my philips cd350 have trouble reading some CD, it start reading distord and stop?

Does someone know someone who could explain to me what is the purpuss of this on my philips cd350?

is it to increase beam?

i could ad the free pdf, but not sure if it's allowed?

regards

cd350philips.jpeg

cd350inside.jpg

Isn't the Philips CD350 player a 30 year old model?  I would suspect a mechanical issue on a unit this old before anything electronic.

First, though, did it just start having trouble reading some CDs that it was able to read in the past, or does it always have trouble with certain CDs?

If it always has trouble with certain CDs or certain MP3 files/formats, then I cannot help with any electronic reading issues.

However, If it just started having this problem, on CDs that played fine in the past, I would suspect a dirty/gummy laser transport rail or even just a dirty/dusty laser lens.

My Onkyo Integra started skipping and distorting, typically just on the first track of some CDs, and then on every CD.  Cleaning and lightly lubing the laser transport rail solved this issue...

Well some night it plays the Cd's and then not... i suspect the strength of the laser beam, on my old denon, you have a screw to upgrade the signal of laser, but on this one no clues?

i have clean the lens twice, and this afternoon, would not play my Tord Gustavsen and tonight it played ok? but won't play Susan Tedeschi? strange

thanks for the help anyhow

And yes philips 350 30years old TDA1540, most vinyl sound for a CD and it's not even in NOS mode...

Still no clue what this adjustment does?

55 minutes ago, Tpjrs said:

i have clean the lens twice

Just cleaning the lens may not be enough...

The Philips may have a very different type of laser transport system than my Onkyo, so I don't know if the actual rail or rails that the laser rides on are easily accessible on your player or not.

The rails typically get dirty near the end of travel so the laser jitters on the first track causing skipping or read issues.  Also, with time, the small rubber or felt bumpers on the laser transport can come loose and stick on the rail impeding the laser transport, also causing skipping or distortion.

...not saying this is the problem with your player, but it couldn't hurt to see if this procedure might help...

ok just switch transport with another philips the transport work fine in the other philips and in this one, well it is better, the previous owner put grease everywear, just finished cleaning everything.

So all mecanical have been change and put the old mechanical in the other player and play well, so no lens and no mecanics, so it's like when in can oversampling or sort of thing like that it freeze, put one hugly scratch cd and track five it freeze but in the other the tda1541 no problemo, so mecanics not the problem, but thanks for the tips, i remove the extra grease when compare both transport.

regards

BTW, have two days of fun working on it, and learn a lot of new stuff and finish building my china DAC who use a tda1541 with great result! Still i have to find another vintage cdplayer with tda1540 that sound Vinyl... Why because WAF don't let fill the room with lp's :):):)