My, what a big box you've got...

The History Kid

Can we talk for a minute about the size of some of these AVR's that are and have been on the market in the past?  Can we also address how beefy they used to be?

I'm curious as to what the biggest monster (both in terms of size and power supply) to exist (so far) was.  So far, I'm thinking maybe the Denon 5805?

denon-avr-5805-rear-panel-large.jpg

denon-avr-5805-front-panel.jpg

Others?

Ha...no.

I am slowly phasing into separates actually.  I just was exposed to the 5805 though, and it got me wondering about larger/largest receiver by chassis and power.  I had never seen anything of this size before as an AVR.  Just recently I was looking through some Facebook groups and saw pictures of amps that were taller than the owner...just crazy.

On 9/9/2017 at 11:35 PM, The History Kid said:

I'm curious as to what the biggest monster (both in terms of size and power supply) to exist (so far) was.  So far, I'm thinking maybe the Denon 5805?

At 97 pounds and 170 wpc, that's certainly a monster!

@teamanand I would nominate the Sherbourn SR-120.  A genuine 125 wpc x7 at 78 pounds, it was not a $5000 beast like the Denon but it could hold its own with just about everything else.

645344.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The History Kid said:

I've heard stories of Tim scoring huge deals on those, and am always bummed when he does. lol

I picked up a SR-120 on Tim's recommendation and even though it was rated the same power as my Onkyo 717 it completely blew the Onk out of the water, power-wise.  It could make those tight little dual 12" woofers on my CF-4 come alive at reference levels.  Truly impressive.

• Like 1

Check out the article starting at the bottom of Page 23 of this PDF.  The Audio Critic.  He reviewed very expensive gear and was thoroughly impressed by the 5800. 

http://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/mags/The_Audio_Critic_27_r.pdf  

This is what sold me on the Denon. I'm sure that the others are also outstanding. 

The 5800's go for about $500 or so.  Wait for a nice one in pristine condition.  Add a CD transport and stream music through optical and you are all set.  You can also do 7.1 surround from your TV's optical output.  I am driving Palladium P38, P37's and a R27C with one. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

They did some market research and found that a big receiver was wanted instead of separates. 

If you find a 5800 or 5803 for about $500, grab it.  Tons of power, great DACs and just an outstanding unit. 

That might be true for most consumers, most of them are looking for quantity over quality. What happens when something about the newer monsters misbehaves, can they be easily fixed?  

9 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

That might be true for most consumers, most of them are looking for quantity over quality. What happens when something about the newer monsters misbehaves, can they be easily fixed?  

The 5800 is from about 2000 or so.  Not one of the new "throw away" ones.  I don't think that this was a quantity over quality issue.  Read the article that I linked to above. 

If it breaks and cannot be fixed then I search for another one. 

On 9/11/2017 at 10:37 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Check out the article starting at the bottom of Page 23 of this PDF.  The Audio Critic.  He reviewed very expensive gear and was thoroughly impressed by the 5800. 

http://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/mags/The_Audio_Critic_27_r.pdf  

This is what sold me on the Denon. I'm sure that the others are also outstanding. 

The 5800's go for about $500 or so.  Wait for a nice one in pristine condition.  Add a CD transport and stream music through optical and you are all set.  You can also do 7.1 surround from your TV's optical output.  I am driving Palladium P38, P37's and a R27C with one. 

Do you listen much to the FM tuner and what is your evaluation of the compression and sound mixing as it passes through the tuner compared to CD/Bluray/Phono?

JJK

• 2 weeks later...