What has happened? I wan

Doug wolfe

Can anyone relate and/or help?

i have owned my Klipsch LaScallas since 1987.  I own them as if they were my child.

However, something has been happening in the last few years...I am consistently blowing my tweeters.

i must have replaced 4 or more k-77 diaphragms in t.he last couple years. And this last diaphragm is getting signal but the frequency separation in the left speaker is absolutely heart breaking. I know it is the speaker and not my vintage Dennis 80 watt preamp. The tweet is basically just spitting and the the recast of the speaks just have no dynamics at all. The right speaker is beautiful and fine.  Could my crossover be fried? I want my speakers back....

'87 would have an AL variant, did not have zeners.

klipsch_al2.jpg

Check the solder joint where the 125µH runs into the lower 2µF and then runs to the tweeter + connection. When this connection has a cold joint the speaker will keep blowing tweeters like mad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you own your "LaScalla's " "as if there were my child",  you'd know how to spell your child's name. :rolleyes:''.

And a preamp can't blow a tweeter; it doesn't put out any power. You sure you don't mean "amp" or integrated amp?

You're going to hate my suggestion but here's what I'd do: replace the blown tweeter and swap speakers left vs. right. If the same speaker blows, it's the cross over. If the other speaker blows the tweeter, you've got an amp problem. My vote is the amp.

If spelling were enforced, this would be a very lonely place.

I would switch the networks from speaker to speaker.  If the problem follows the network from the tweeter blowing La Scala to the other, then it's probably the network, and Dennis, @djk, is probably correct regarding a cold solder joint.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DizRotus said:

If spelling were enforced, this would be a very lonely place.

You ain't kidding. The frustrated English teacher in me has had to bite his tongue with surprising regularity around here. (Not to mention around the entire Internet.) What's surprising about it is seeing how so many people here who are so obviously very intelligent can care so little about making sure their communication is clear and correct. The rest of the Internet is full of dumbshits, so I expect lousy spelling out there.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hsosdrummer said:

You ain't kidding. The frustrated English teacher in me has had to bite his tongue with surprising regularity around here. (Not to mention around the entire Internet.) What's surprising about it is seeing how so many people here who are so obviously very intelligent can care so little about making sure their communication is clear and correct. The rest of the Internet is full of dumbshits, so I expect lousy spelling out there.

On a motorcycle racing forum I visit, they jump at the chance to correct a spelling error. You are, your, and you're being the most common mistakes.

PS.....I like your use of ain't.

14 hours ago, hsosdrummer said:

What's surprising about it is seeing how so many people here who are so obviously very intelligent can care so little about making sure their communication is clear and correct.

Intelligence and education are not the same thing.  Many very intelligent people are not well educated, therefore, their spelling and writing can be creative, to be kind.  What's more surprising to me is, " . . .  seeing how so many people here who are so obviously very [well educated] can care so little about making sure their communication is clear and correct."  It's like they don't know there's an edit function.

Actually, I applaud those who communicate in this written format knowing their spelling, grammar, syntax, etc. are challenged.  It's my hope that seeing correct usage of such things as "you're" & "your," "their" & "there," "infer" & "imply", etc. (which is NOT spelled ect) might supplement their education.  Unfortunately, it's probably a lost cause, when network TV commentators say such things as, "Me and Steve went . . . " or when they use the phrase, "Where it's at."  What's wrong with, "Where it is."?  Why add the unnecessary preposition?

Enough for now, I must go chase some kids off my lawn.

I make plenty of typos, mostly due to posting from my phone. I try to catch the errors, and have gone back later to edit.

There are many on here whose primary language is not English.

Sooooo... welcome to the forums! As Dennis (djk) posted,  check the solder joints. If you can solder, it wouldn't hurt to touch them all up. If you disconnect leads from the crossover so you can pull it it out, label them so you reconnect correctly.

Lots of help here, ask away and keep us informed.

Bruce

• Like 1