H3's vs CW3

Mitchibo

when I listened to H3s and CW3s at a store carrying Heritage, I felt the H3s were a far better "value" as they sounded great...the presence of the CW3s were better but I couldn't justify the price jump for the amount of better I heard...

Of course things depend on your financials, the room you'll have them in and the gear you plan to use...

Good luck with your choice...

Bill

9 hours ago, moray james said:

Bill: curious to know if you would feel the same way if the CW3 was replaced with a CW2? I understand there is a big difference in cost but if those CW3 had real K601 (combined with the lower xover) in them and not tiny K701 for mid horns do you think that would that impact your choice toward the CW?

that's always possible as the reason for me liking the H3s better...

Bill

9 hours ago, DizRotus said:

It's my understanding that CW3 uses the same squawker horn used in H3.  In that case, H3s with a horn loaded sub(s) might be better.  Unless a proper sub for movies is NOT in the picture, I'd stick with the H3s

the K601 is the horn used in the Cornwall 2 (Cornwall used the cast metal version the K600) and it is larger than the K701 used in the Heresy 2/3 and CW 3. Switching to a smaller mid horn is never going to be an upgrade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mitchibo said:

So other than a larger cabinet and woofer the H3's and the CW have the same upper end. So all that is gained is lower extension?

Yes. which is why you might want to consider keeping the H3s and adding a sub, or two, to do bass even better than CW3s.

• Like 1

don't under estimate the impact of the CW3's fifteen inch reflex loaded woofer you have a much more dynamic woofer with higher system efficiency as well and more efficient (and pushing much more air) always sounds a lot better. The CW ll is the best go to used option with the largest available stock mid horn. The Bob Crites Cornscala D is to me a fabulous option to check out as well. Two ways sound better in the near field than three ways do and less crossover is also a bonus. The cost of doing this well is you need better driver than with a three way. I am happy to pay for better drivers and I do.

I wouldn't be able to justify the $2,200 extra price difference between the H3 and CW3 being that it's mainly a different woofer,  that doesn't cost that much more, and larger cabinets.  That's a tough pill to swallow.  Then again, I don't pay retail for any home or car audio stuff....haven't in over 30 years.

• Like 1