112 SW *2 Vs 115 SW *1

papkung

The 115 is significantly better for movies, it just digs deeper.  Two 12's could potentially smooth out room modes better but it's still going to be lacking around 18-20 hz.  I say get one 15 with the goal of getting a second in the future.  

• Like 3

On 9/14/2017 at 3:33 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

The 115 is significantly better for movies, it just digs deeper.  Two 12's could potentially smooth out room modes better but it's still going to be lacking around 18-20 hz.  I say get one 15 with the goal of getting a second in the future.  

+1. The 115 is most definitely better than the 112. The 112 isn't bad, but it doesn't go as deep, and with less cone area it will, by its very nature, have more distortion than the 115. Contrary to popular belief, a smaller driver is NOT "faster."

Even if you don't listen loud enough to notice the differences in potential distortion, you'll notice how much deeper the 115 goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 112 and a 115. About to get another one, not sure if I should get a 112 or 115?

Not to thread jack, but figured this is a similar situation as mine.

So 2 R-112SW and 1 R-115 vs 2 R-115SW and 1 R-112?

I have the RF-7ii in the fronts with a 64ii center

Any opinion would be appreciated, since I've read that the 12's have a faster punch feel to them. This is only for movies

Thanks!

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

You've read?  You actually have both so you can compare as to if it's true or not.

It's a little hard to tell if having another 15 vs another 12 would give me a more tactile feel

26 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Depends on if the tactile feel you're looking for is infrasonic couch vibration or chest slam.

Um...well both

My goal was the SVS 16 Ultras. Just can't justify 2.5k and the size/weight.

I know the 15 can get lower, but seems the 12 is hitting harder. I am thinking of 2 x R-115 in the front with the 12 in the rear would get me what I want. But from reading so many posts here and on AVS, I see a lot of contradictory post explaining the opposite and to go with 2 x R-112SW in the front and 1 x R-115SW in the rear. I know more is always better, but in certain situations it's not always so

Any detailed advice would be greatly appreciated

Room is 17 x 23

I will give you some thing that have been learned in the ULF thread on avs.

1. Room SIze matters.

2. Sub Size and placement matter.

3. Upstairs vs downstairs on concrete is a big deal

4. You room is a good size and if it is open to other area, there will even a greater demand on the subs.

5. Room gain helps the FR but, not the TR.

6. you need to hit 105 db at the MLP to hit a decent TR.  In most cases this is a tall task to one or two subs.

7. Go with vented subs in that room.

8. Chest slam and infra-sonics or ultra low frequencies less than 20 Hz is vastly different.

I am in a basement on concrete and don't just have 8 big boy subs for counting.  I would only need 4 of these upstairs.  I also have TT's.

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

I will give you some thing that have been learned in the ULF thread on avs.

1. Room SIze matters.

2. Sub Size and placement matter.

3. Upstairs vs downstairs on concrete is a big deal

4. You room is a good size and if it is open to other area, there will even a greater demand on the subs.

5. Room gain helps the FR but, not the TR.

6. you need to hit 105 db at the MLP to hit a decent TR.  In most cases this is a tall task to one or two subs.

7. Go with vented subs in that room.

8. Chest slam and infra-sonics or ultra low frequencies less than 20 Hz is vastly different.

I am in a basement on concrete and don't just have 8 big boy subs for counting.  I would only need 4 of these upstairs.  I also have TT's.

Its on the 1st floor dedicated theater room. Carpet on concrete slab. All of the R-XXXSW are ported

I would like to get as close to what the SV-16 ultras offer just with out paying 2.5k per speaker