Sign in to follow this  
Brandonfalley

Help identifying Klipsch Forte 1's Wood Type

I purchased a pair of excellent Forte 1's with some typical water ring damage on the tops.

I would like to Refinish these but I am having trouble deciding what wood they are.

To me they look like Walnut or Cherry wood thoughts?

Also I would like to refinish them in a distressed oak like finish would this hurt the value. (I am fairly skilled with wood finishing and have produced server pieces of furniture but never refinished speakers.)

I also plan to rebuild the crossovers and upgrade the tweeters.

Also the paper tags are long gone so I can't look up the codes.

KlipschForte.jpg

dtr20    610

Definitely walnut veneer. I would just use Watco rejuvenating oil for the refinish too keep them walnut. Probably have to sand them down a little (or a lot, can't tell how badly damaged they are). Walnut finish is usually worth the most, so changing them to look like distressed oak will most likely hurt the value unless you find someone who likes that more.

Sounds like I should keep them Walnut... The Wife probably won't like this but I'm also going to change the grill fabric so they will blend a little better with everything else I have. The damage is not bad at all on either. There isn't any wood warping only the top surface is a little rough; all other sides are in fantastic condition.  I think with some light sanding and refinish they should look like new.

I'm also planning to do the Crites Crossover's and Titanium diaphragms. They sound pretty great as the are I can't even imagine how fantastic they will sound after. Listening Booker T  and the M.Gs on vinyl I could swear I am standing right next the the Leslie if i close my eyes...     

Thanks for the response. This is my first venture into something in the Heritage linage of Klipish so I am pretty excited. 

Edited by Brandonfalley

HDBRbuilder    576
5 hours ago, Brandonfalley said:

There isn't any wood warping only the top surface is a little rough; all other sides are in fantastic condition.  I think with some light sanding and refinish they should look like new.

Keep in mind that the walnut veneer on those is pretty thin and was sanded prior to finishing the first time around, so be careful not to sand through it...so,FWIW, take your time and use very fine grit on a sanding block sanding WITH the grain...that way you won't tend to overdo it which is very easy to do if you use a powered sander.