Yamaha MX-1000 trouble

franticsled

Just got a mx1000 from a buddy and hooked it up to a pair of pioneers.... because it was easy... the left side is not near as loud as the right, i switched speakers and same result also swapped cables with same result. With both output volumes all the way up, i have to turn right side down to about 1/3 or so to get matched power to each!! the power meter reads right as left is lower than right as well. What could cause this? Anyone have a guess how much to get the amp checked out? The caps i can see look fine through the top. Any advice would be great, Thanks

Hey franticsled! 

No guarantees here but it sounds like the left-channel "pot" potentiometer (volume knob mechanism) may be dirty/loose/tight internally or any combo of the three.  My Onkyo M506 was displaying similar issue(s) as your Yammy when I got it a few months ago.  I did some research and found cleaning the "pots" can resolve some of these issues, BUT will not fix broken hardware obviously. 

If you are comfortable in doing so, if not already done so, have you tried visually examining the "pots" internally and to see if the tension is equal between the two?  Every amp is built differently as are the pots, in accessing the interns to clean/remove and clean.  There are numerous videos on YouTube on how to accomplish this and is fairly easy and safe to do.  Just make sure the unit is powered off/unplugged.

I used CRC QD Electric Cleaner to clean my pots and contacts, speaker terminals, the boards, etc. and then used Deoxit Fader F5 (lubricant) on the pots as the last step.  I repeated twice and all was well.  The CRC dries almost immediately and is safe on ALL electronics and boards. The Deoxit is more for moving parts such as the pots and may require a wipe for some excess.  Let unit sit for 30+ mins (at least) before use, once completing.  The CRC will help prevent (in theory) dust from (re)collecting on areas it is used.

Other posters may suggest other products for this procedure, i.e. an all-in-one that cleans AND lubes but I went with I researched as what seemed to work best.

Again, this is no guarantee... but if it works it could prove to be a money saver vs. hardware replacement/repair-shop work. 

I owned an MX-800 years back with a pair of Cerwin Vega D-9E's and man, what a matched set!

Good luck and that MX-1000 will definitely shine once remedied.

crcdeox.jpg