Equifax

whatever55

25 minutes ago, whatever55 said:

What is the 10 digit freeze pin ?

When you freeze your credit account they give you a 10 digit pin number to unfreeze it if you wish to get another credit card, otherwise it is blocked and they cannot issue you another credit card.. So if the freeze number is hacked the bad guy can just unfreeze the account and do bad things because he has all of the necessary information to do so. But the Equifax site does not say if the freeze numbers have been hacked. Your account has to be frozen before the hack took place to have the pin number to be hacked and of course mine was frozen for over a year because of the 80 million Anthem hack of which I was a member. So I had a pin number sitting in there files but they won't say if it was part of the hack or not. So my account is still frozen under that number (I checked it) which leaves me in never never land.

JJK

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, whatever55 said:

OK, Thanks.   I was part of the OPM data breech a while ago and have had my account monitored but was never given a freeze pin.  Have you signed up for the Equifax program they offer ?

I signed the monitoring offer that didn't cost anything ASAP.

JJK

4 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

The monitoring included a waiver of all claims against equifax.  Did they do away with that?

They said they did after the world complained about it including all the people who signed up beforehand. The website says this also.

JJK

That's what I read in some different articles that would happen if a person did the monitoring....it released you from being able to sue.  I didn't want to lose that legal right if it came about.  This sucks that this happened as I'm about to have my mothers house sold, pay off a bunch of things, then refinance our house and then buy a new truck.  If I have to go back and forth on the freeze/unfreeze, it's going to be a pain in the arse.  I sure hope Equifax gets theirs in the end.

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

The freeze / unfreeze will also cost you $30 each time depending on the state where you live. 

In Ohio the freeze has no cost but the "Lock" does. Experian has a program to check if you are on the dark web for 10 bucks a month.

JJK

19 hours ago, avguytx said:

<snip>   This sucks that this happened as I'm about ...  If I have to go back and forth on the freeze/unfreeze, it's going to be a pain in the arse.  I sure hope Equifax gets theirs in the end.

agreed.  this would be a PITA.  I'm trying to get another job, and may have hopeful employers running credit checks.  I don't mind that much but a protective freeze would make it a pain

11 minutes ago, Schu said:

Is there an accepted procedure for total protection?

No.  The way I look at it if someone is going to steal my identity they're going to do it no matter what.  Your information is everywhere, whether you want it to be or not.  I had a local college send me a notification that a hard drive that they used for student info, all info, was stolen from a room where it was stored.  Seemingly, no security.  Google wants to know everything about you, you have to turn off a host of application features on your phone to keep them at bay, but again it doesn't matter.

Hackers are too far ahead of any security provisions set in place by any agency.  It's the current version of piracy.  Wait until hackers get a hold of quantum systems, when the first country figures out the algorithms to build one, nothing will be safe.  Just look into Snowden if you want a glimpse.  You can put all the security measures in place that you want, but the end result is chance.  Is it your turn?  

7 hours ago, ACV92 said:

No.  The way I look at it if someone is going to steal my identity they're going to do it no matter what.  Your information is everywhere, whether you want it to be or not.  I had a local college send me a notification that a hard drive that they used for student info, all info, was stolen from a room where it was stored.  Seemingly, no security.  Google wants to know everything about you, you have to turn off a host of application features on your phone to keep them at bay, but again it doesn't matter.

Hackers are too far ahead of any security provisions set in place by any agency.  It's the current version of piracy.  Wait until hackers get a hold of quantum systems, when the first country figures out the algorithms to build one, nothing will be safe.  Just look into Snowden if you want a glimpse.  You can put all the security measures in place that you want, but the end result is chance.  Is it your turn?  

The quantum systems will also be in the hands of the good guys and they are totally unhackable, well unless you exist in the quantum energy field that is in the entire universe.

• Like 1