Klipsch KG4 listing

daryls

Just now, Sprogk said:

I saw same condition KG4 for same price in Kentucky (wallnut color)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds averaged price than with the difference between CAN + US funds. 

I've never had the chance to listen to the KG series.. are they worth the $300 to restore x-overs etc..?

I was able to obtain a few additional photo's from the seller. Looks as the exterior is painted finish instead of veneer, was that an option with this series? Unfortunately it sounds like the paper identification tags are missing on both. 

Crossover's are original as well as drivers. Looks like someone was a little glue happy with the dust caps. 

Thoughts?

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed.jpg

23 minutes ago, daryls said:

I was able to obtain a few additional photo's from the seller. Looks as the exterior is painted finish instead of veneer, was that an option with this series? Unfortunately it sounds like the paper identification tags are missing on both. 

Crossover's are original as well as drivers. Looks like someone was a little glue happy with the dust caps. 

Agree, the exterior looks like Duratex.  It sounds like you have a good dialog with the Seller, just ask him if he re-painted.

I've glued loose dust caps before due to buzzing, it drives you crazy!  The gluing needs to be done and it's hard to get it just right.

Although I've never heard them those KG4 have a rep for good sound.  I don't know about the price, but if the finish and cosmetic issues trouble you then maybe it's a deal breaker.  There's nothing worse than having something bug you every single day from something you are supposed to like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Agree, the exterior looks like Duratex.  It sounds like you have a good dialog with the Seller, just ask him if he re-painted.

I've glued loose dust caps before due to buzzing, it drives you crazy!  The gluing needs to be done and it's hard to get it just right.

Although I've never heard them those KG4 have a rep for good sound.  I don't know about the price, but if the finish and cosmetic issues trouble you then maybe it's a deal breaker.  There's nothing worse than having something bug you every single day from something you are supposed to like.

From a project perspective, the finish is not overly concerning as i'd like to re-veneer and restore. The part that is some what of a killer for me is the missing papers on the back and one emblem on the grill is missing. (I've seen these on ebay though)

How hard is it to strip the duratex off without ruining the MDF?

I guess the alternative is build new cabinets out of birch and swap over the drivers, since the papers are missing anyway. $300 for drivers and throw away cabinets starts to add up the project total.  

Keep looking. Someone hid something spraying them.  Those 8" drivers had an issue with being overpowered and Klipsch actually sent out replacements free of charge many, many moons ago. I think it may have not helped them being in the  4ohm range with the dainty 8" drivers they were fitted with.  Having said that, the KG4 is a well rounded, great sounding speaker IMO and has surprisingly good bass.  I traded a boat prop for a pair back around 1989 I think and they still sound great, old caps and all.  I don't even think I would trade my set for a pair of Heresy's

• Like 2

I have two pairs of KG4s and think they are a nice speaker for the price, but I would pass on those unless they were a real bargain. The asking price of the ones you are looking at is more in line with a mint pair with a nice finish like walnut, not a DIY Duratex paint job and sloppily glued drivers.

Good news is the KG line was popular and Klipsch sold a lot of them. They pop up frequently for sale and often a good prices as well.

Keep looking.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tromprof said:

I have two pairs of KG4s and think they are a nice speaker for the price, but I would pass on those unless they were a real bargain. The asking price of the ones you are looking at is more in line with a mint pair with a nice finish like walnut, not a DIY Duratex paint job and sloppily glued drivers.

Good news is the KG line was popular and Klipsch sold a lot of them. They pop up frequently for sale and often a good prices as well.

Keep looking.

Thanks for the input, just what i needed to know. It seems that heritage speakers don't show up as often as i would like here in BC. Lot's over in Ontario but that's to far away.  

I don't mind the cruise into Washington if i have the time. 

4 hours ago, daryls said:

From a project perspective, the finish is not overly concerning as i'd like to re-veneer and restore. The part that is some what of a killer for me is the missing papers on the back and one emblem on the grill is missing. (I've seen these on ebay though)

How hard is it to strip the duratex off without ruining the MDF?

I guess the alternative is build new cabinets out of birch and swap over the drivers, since the papers are missing anyway. $300 for drivers and throw away cabinets starts to add up the project total.  

If you're going to put that much work in them, they're are better deals. 

https://www.ebth.com/items/6796059-klipsch-standing-speakers

Keep looking, some will show up for you

That finish looks something like Duratex, but I don't believe it is Duratex.  The high spots are shiny, as if being "polished" by frequent contact with hands or something. None of the many cabinets I finished in Duratex looks exactly like that.  I suppose it could depend on the roller used, but I only use those supplied by Duratex.

In any case, I agree that removing Duratex is too much trouble.  As Dave, @wvu80, said, Duratex is often used to hide blemishes.  Also, it is made to be durable, thus making it difficult to remove.  IMO, a fresh coat of Duratex would be your best plan of attack, if not looking elsewhere, as wisely suggested by @Woofers and Tweeters.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 9/13/2017 at 8:25 AM, daryls said:

Not affiliated 

Looks like bases and paper showing serial number is missing but original owner of 30 years.

Firm on $300.... thoughts on price?

https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/msg/6259215358.html

I just posted a set. I'm in abbotsford too lol. 

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/ele/d/abbotsford-klipsch-speakers/7049429305.html

Asking 100