RP-160m vs. RP-150m for near-field listening

Hasty

I've been considering putting a small two-channel system together as a gift for my dad.  This would be used for music and home theater, but the room is small,  about 10'x12'.   I've been leaning towards RP-160m but I question if the RP-150m would be better in a small room.  Listening would be near-field, about 8' from the speakers.  The RP-160 is really well reviewed, but would it be overpowering in a smaller room?  FWIW, I think the amplifier would be an Onkyo A-9010, so it's a 44wpc amp.  I've not heard the A-9010, but it seems to get a lot of praise.

Any opinions on the RP-160m vs RP-150m for near-field situations?

14 hours ago, Hasty said:

What's your opinion about the 160's without a sub?  

Remember that a monitor is still a monitor.  You're going to have limited bass response there. That being said - the 160s provide excellent bass response with tight and accurate bass.  There are some bookshelf speakers that execute bass better that others - but save for the puritans who insist on 2.0 listening, most will argue a sub will be beneficial.

What subs are you using?  I almost always prefer running a sub, but it seems like some subs/speaker combos are more seamless than others.

I thought about giving the new R-8sw a spin since it's compact and isn't likely to sound boomy in a smaller room.