Satellite internet and ***** question (not racist!)

Coytee

Ok, so we're preparing to ***** the house.  In case you don't know, ***** is essentially fancy caulk that is used between the logs to seal the gaps from the weather (helps me keep my toes toasty warm during winter)

When the satellite internet (NOT tv) guy came out and installed the wire, he ran it down one of the channels that we are now preparing to *****.

Have some questions...

Will it matter to "bury" the wire under a layer of *****?

I can still unscrew most of it and pull it to the outside of the log however, lil-wifey-poo wants it to be hidden.

If something happens (after burying it) and it means we need to do it over, I would THEN, simply run it along the log, leaving this one buried.  I will not redo the ***** to fix/replace the wire so it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Second...  notice in the picture where the corner is.  I can't make this a good 90 degree bend.  I might ***** behind it letting the wire "cut the corner" and allow that 2-3 inches worth be  visible.  This is on the back side of the house and it's about 12/15' up in the air so nobody will ever notice it once it's done.

My questions aren't necessarily about the aesthetics (my wife will drive that conversation), my questions are about it over-heating or something that burying it might cause.

Thoughts?

Wire 1.jpg

Wire 2.jpg

26 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm still trying to figure out what ***** is.

I'm such a dumb **** I can't figure out what the **** that **** is either, so I'll just shut the **** up.  

+++

@Coytee I am not a wiring person, but to my eyes the little bend with the wire showing (your hand pic) looks OK.  I don't think there will be any heat issues, either exposed or buried.

I would suggest if you are going to bury the wire get some PVC pipe 1.5 inches and bury that.  You can run a cheap dummy wire (not the real name) through there as well so if you need to pull another wire in the future when standards change it will be easy to do.

EDIT: Now that I know the secret word, my suggestion about burying the wire is null and void.  I do think it would be OK to bury the wire beneath the log caulk.  Inside if the wife approves.

+++

Translation ^^^:  "I'm such a dumb person I can't figure out what the heavens that star-star-star-star is either, so I'll just shut the heck up."

Isn't that what you thought I would say?  

• Like 1

Thats funny. My wifes High School mascot was the "Fighting C H I N K S"  for quite a few years many moons ago,. This was back in the days when George Jefferson episodes were dolting out his favorite monikor line and we all loved it.

Anyway, couldn't get the link on the CH INK to work.  Its gonna take a thick amount to cover that RG7 or whatever coax you are using, maybe you're going that thick on all the seams, but my guess would be that you weren't.   That one wide seem may stick out like you hid a cosmetic error, but if you're staining or painting it all one color, then it won't matter.  

18 hours ago, Max2 said:

Thats funny. My wifes High School mascot was the "Fighting C H I N K S"  for quite a few years many moons ago,. This was back in the days when George Jefferson episodes were dolting out his favorite monikor line and we all loved it.

Anyway, couldn't get the link on the CH INK to work.  Its gonna take a thick amount to cover that RG7 or whatever coax you are using, maybe you're going that thick on all the seams, but my guess would be that you weren't.   That one wide seem may stick out like you hid a cosmetic error, but if you're staining or painting it all one color, then it won't matter.  

All the seams have 4" gaps (maybe 3 3/4...)  Point being, all seams have a 4x4 in between square cut 6x12 logs.  Nothing will be much different here other than the buried wire.

10 hours ago, geoff. said:

Do they not make a 90 degree elbow connector you could also bury in the corner?

I was told quite explicitly that the wire has to be a continuous run from the dish to the receiver (router).  Additionally, the full run can't be any longer than (guessing) 100' or maybe 110' from tip to tip.  If memory serves me, we made it with something like 3' to spare by the time I got it to my electronics closet where much of this stuff is located.

9 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Has anyone considered burying the sat wire in the ground to the location where you need it? Then run it up the logs to where it enters your home. I know installers want the least amount of work possible. 

Nailed it.

Yes, the installer said why not put the dish here (points)

Then he realized....hmmm...  the house is in the way....  if we put it there, then it's in the woods....  so it had to go on a specific side of the house and then the back side is where I happened to have a natural roof (normal slope AND only covering outdoor patio so it wouldn't be the end of the world if it leaked a little)

Instead of putting it on the house roof which has a much much steeper pitch.  

So it was boxed in as to where it had to go by simple elimination.  My wife would not like wires going down the house so we went around the house, burying it in the channel you see.

New subject:

Now....  this coming Sunday, I'm having service for Direc-TV coming out.  I'm having terrible pixelating issues.  Called them and they were going to charge me for a service call OR, I could sign up for their $7.00/month plan.

I said sign me up...  I'll cancel that once it's fixed.

He's been out twice already.  Last time, I wasn't here so he spoke to the wife.  He told her it's hard to find these issues so "we'll just install a brand new system from scratch and put it over there"  (on the far side of the house, taking it away from being mounted above the garage on an extended log that I left extending out about 24" for this very purpose)

I told the wife he probably sees my service plan and intends on charging them for a full install verses a fix.

We're going to have an interesting conversation Sunday when I say he can indeed run all new wires if he wants BUT, he's going to run them into the garage, through the joists exactly where my existing wires are...I'm not moving it.

I'm guessing he's going to decide to replace the LNB and/or the splitter block (whatever it's called that allows 2 lines in and 4 lines out)...  I don't think he's going to want to do the whole project.

Oh, and he told the wife it's possible that this tree (points to a tree) MIGHT be in the way NEXT year...

Well...  if it's not in the way THIS year, then I don't give a flip....  that said, my backhoe is ready, my chainsaw is ready and if he says something about that tree, I can have it dropped in about 10 minutes (certainly inside whatever time it takes him to re-string all 4 runs of wire going from my garage to the dish IF he decides to take that route....  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)

Me thinks he'll be in/out within an hour and I'll have a new LNB and maybe splitter.

Nice thing for him, I already have scaffolding around the house so he can walk right to it (it's normally about 15' off ground)  I can't make it much easier unless I remove the bolts.