Satellite internet and ***** question (not racist!)

Coytee

9 hours ago, Coytee said:

Nailed it.

Yes, the installer said why not put the dish here (points)

Then he realized....hmmm...  the house is in the way....  if we put it there, then it's in the woods....  so it had to go on a specific side of the house and then the back side is where I happened to have a natural roof (normal slope AND only covering outdoor patio so it wouldn't be the end of the world if it leaked a little)

Instead of putting it on the house roof which has a much much steeper pitch.  

So it was boxed in as to where it had to go by simple elimination.  My wife would not like wires going down the house so we went around the house, burying it in the channel you see.

New subject:

Now....  this coming Sunday, I'm having service for Direc-TV coming out.  I'm having terrible pixelating issues.  Called them and they were going to charge me for a service call OR, I could sign up for their $7.00/month plan.

I said sign me up...  I'll cancel that once it's fixed.

He's been out twice already.  Last time, I wasn't here so he spoke to the wife.  He told her it's hard to find these issues so "we'll just install a brand new system from scratch and put it over there"  (on the far side of the house, taking it away from being mounted above the garage on an extended log that I left extending out about 24" for this very purpose)

I told the wife he probably sees my service plan and intends on charging them for a full install verses a fix.

We're going to have an interesting conversation Sunday when I say he can indeed run all new wires if he wants BUT, he's going to run them into the garage, through the joists exactly where my existing wires are...I'm not moving it.

I'm guessing he's going to decide to replace the LNB and/or the splitter block (whatever it's called that allows 2 lines in and 4 lines out)...  I don't think he's going to want to do the whole project.

Oh, and he told the wife it's possible that this tree (points to a tree) MIGHT be in the way NEXT year...

Well...  if it's not in the way THIS year, then I don't give a flip....  that said, my backhoe is ready, my chainsaw is ready and if he says something about that tree, I can have it dropped in about 10 minutes (certainly inside whatever time it takes him to re-string all 4 runs of wire going from my garage to the dish IF he decides to take that route....  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)

Me thinks he'll be in/out within an hour and I'll have a new LNB and maybe splitter.

Nice thing for him, I already have scaffolding around the house so he can walk right to it (it's normally about 15' off ground)  I can't make it much easier unless I remove the bolts.

Excellent news. I hope you get a good installer, sometimes those guys are lazy and want to take the easy route, and skimp on quality. He'll probably realize that you're serious about a quality install, by providing scaffolding, cutting down a tree, and give you a good job. It's always nice when the homeowner is willing to help out.

8 hours ago, garyrc said:

Just out of curiosity, what does the code say about locating or burying satellite internet wire?

There probably isn't any code, especially in the country where this is located. Plus that wire is very durable and made to hold up against all kinds of weather. Around here they're supposed to bury it at least 4" in the ground, most don't go that far. I've seen a few just laying on the ground.

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I've seen a few just laying on the ground.

Another off topic...but kind of related...  (who do I complain to about crapping on my own thread?)

My phone service is the ever lovely AT&T.  They have those little 4x4 square "towers" that stick up every so often down the road.  I'm guessing those are simply junction boxes so they can add a new house or repair a line.

When it rains, I get constant static in my line.  A number of years ago, one of those boxes was wide open and the guts of the wire were spilled out, laying in a water puddle.

I called to let them know and they couldn't comprehend this "service" call for their junction box with no address...  None the less, I finally got them out and they fixed it.

So just the other day, someone (county) cut the grass on the shoulder of the road.  There is one of these junction boxes that was evidently hit.  Knocked the cover off and now it's totally exposed.  I again, tried to call to get them to know about it and it was like I was talking to a girl from mars (one with a bad attitude I might add)

Finally, in exasperation, told her I didn't really care if they fixed the box as it wasn't mine...  I was trying to be a good neighbor and let them know there was some damage to their system.  The last time they came out to do this stuff (yes, we have a lot of phone issues), the guy told me he thought he found the location of my static issue.  It was between two of these junction boxes....  came back to tell me he's "temporarily fixed it"

What he did was simply run an above ground wire from one to the other, bypassing the underground part.  Draped the wire through a small gravel parking lot (just laying on the ground to be driven over) and right next to a walking trail (tripping hazard?)

He said they'd be out a week later to fix it and I think it's been 1 1/2 years.....

I sometimes think about pulling it myself just to get them back to visit the problem in hopes they'll either actually FIX it or maybe....  just freaking maybe.....  they'll finish laying the fiber optic line that they mysteriously brought down my road....  turned into the first subdivision (only 1 home in existence there) and terminated it.  They didn't hook a single person to it...  just stopped it short of the single home and didn't bring it further down where there are 4 more homes, each willing to sign up...When you call them to ask about it, nobody knows anything about it.

Richard

Covering the cable with the caulk is no problem. As far as burying it underground you would want underground /flooded RG6 cable and definitely not RG59 .Problem is the sat guys don't usually carry underground cable, also you want them to terminate the underground where it will enter the house as you don't want it running inside the house . They can then barrel it with in house cable . The part about no breaks in the line is  BS but many installers are told this because each connection is another possible point of failure . The only real disadvantage is insertion loss (signal Strength)but that should be minimal . 

FWIW 

many installers are contractors and get a flat/piece rate regardless of how much work is required , so they have little incentive to spend extra time at an install. Be warned many will feed you a line of complete BS to make their job easier but there are many good ones as well. 

If you have any questions PM me . I would be happy to help or even speak with your installer directly.

I have not installed sat systems but I have Contracted for all the large Cable companies(what a nightmare) and I moved on to Fiber about 4 years ago

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

Another off topic...but kind of related...  (who do I complain to about crapping on my own thread?)

My phone service is the ever lovely AT&T.  They have those little 4x4 square "towers" that stick up every so often down the road.  I'm guessing those are simply junction boxes so they can add a new house or repair a line.

When it rains, I get constant static in my line.  A number of years ago, one of those boxes was wide open and the guts of the wire were spilled out, laying in a water puddle.

I called to let them know and they couldn't comprehend this "service" call for their junction box with no address...  None the less, I finally got them out and they fixed it.

So just the other day, someone (county) cut the grass on the shoulder of the road.  There is one of these junction boxes that was evidently hit.  Knocked the cover off and now it's totally exposed.  I again, tried to call to get them to know about it and it was like I was talking to a girl from mars (one with a bad attitude I might add)

Finally, in exasperation, told her I didn't really care if they fixed the box as it wasn't mine...  I was trying to be a good neighbor and let them know there was some damage to their system.  The last time they came out to do this stuff (yes, we have a lot of phone issues), the guy told me he thought he found the location of my static issue.  It was between two of these junction boxes....  came back to tell me he's "temporarily fixed it"

What he did was simply run an above ground wire from one to the other, bypassing the underground part.  Draped the wire through a small gravel parking lot (just laying on the ground to be driven over) and right next to a walking trail (tripping hazard?)

He said they'd be out a week later to fix it and I think it's been 1 1/2 years.....

I sometimes think about pulling it myself just to get them back to visit the problem in hopes they'll either actually FIX it or maybe....  just freaking maybe.....  they'll finish laying the fiber optic line that they mysteriously brought down my road....  turned into the first subdivision (only 1 home in existence there) and terminated it.  They didn't hook a single person to it...  just stopped it short of the single home and didn't bring it further down where there are 4 more homes, each willing to sign up...When you call them to ask about it, nobody knows anything about it.

It seems like we get the bare minimum from many folks nowadays...kind of sad. You would think when you called them about their equipment boxes being knocked open, they would at least be appreciative. Great customer service there. I've seen a few lawns with cable wire just laying in the grass. I always inform the homeowner about this, and they usually have the same response....we called them and they will be back out to bury it at soon as the weather allows!

19 minutes ago, Gnote said:

Richard

Covering the cable with the caulk is no problem. As far as burying it underground you would want underground /flooded RG6 cable and definitely not RG59 .Problem is the sat guys don't usually carry underground cable, also you want them to terminate the underground where it will enter the house as you don't want it running inside the house . They can then barrel it with in house cable . The part about no breaks in the line is  BS but many installers are told this because each connection is another possible point of failure . The only real disadvantage is insertion loss (signal Strength)but that should be minimal . 

FWIW 

many installers are contractors and get a flat/piece rate regardless of how much work is required , so they have little incentive to spend extra time at an install. Be warned many will feed you a line of complete BS to make their job easier but there are many good ones as well. 

If you have any questions PM me . I would be happy to help or even speak with your installer directly.

I have not installed sat systems but I have Contracted for all the large Cable companies(what a nightmare) and I moved on to Fiber about 4 years ago

^^seems like this guy knows^^

On 9/14/2017 at 11:39 PM, Max2 said:

Thats funny. My wifes High School mascot was the "Fighting C H I N K S"  for quite a few years many moons ago,. This was back in the days when George Jefferson episodes were dolting out his favorite monikor line and we all loved it.

Did she live in Pekin, Illinois, by any chance? I think I still have a picture or flyer from an event there, I grew up in Peoria, across the river from there. At the time, no one considered it a racist thing.

Bruce

40 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Did she live in Pekin, Illinois, by any chance? I think I still have a picture or flyer from an event there, I grew up in Peoria, across the river from there. At the time, no one considered it a racist thing.

Bruce

Bingo.  

Yep, things sure have changed.

If the phone lines\cable tv lines\elec. lines can be buried, and they are, there's no reason why you can't bury your SAT line.  Wrap up any connections best way you know how to waterproof them, and bury the damn line.

I hate those lazy installers that just wanna route the line the quickest way they know how. It's all part of the FREE installation that you're not going to complain about.  Personally, I made the guy run it through the soffit area nearest the dish, and down the walls. I wasn't about to let Joe Dirt drill a hole through my exterior wall. He complained, up until the time I told I'm I'd tip him if he did a clean job.

• Like 2