Jumping from Spendors to Klipsch and NEED HELP

ndavis1971

Ok, here's the deal.  I have a tube preamp and tube amps at home.  My amp specs are below.  Historically, I've owned and enjoyed Spendor speakers.  I love their British neutrality.  My A6's, the tower version of the traditional Spendors, is a little too relaxed and slow.  It also (at 86 db) strains my 45 wpc SET tube amps...

So make a long story short my stereo maker suggested I look into horns.  He's a big believer in their magic with tubes and feels nothing is comparable.  I asked him and a reliable hi fi friend what to get, and they both approved of Cornwalls.  Highly.  Over Chorus II's...but they don't have much experience with the Chorus II's...they also like the Tannoy Prestige line but say they haven't heard it and it'd be risky given weight/size/lack of returns and dealers in USA.  

The Cornwalls are about the largest I can go without overpowering the room (which has a sofa and club chairs and a TV), especially since I can put them close to the wall.

So my question is--with these amps, AND THAT I LISTEN TO ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC BLUES (FROM LEADBELLY TO SRV) AND CLASSIC ROCK (VAN MORRISON, DOORS, ETC.) 90 percent of the time--what speakers do you recommend?  

My room is quite large--it's a living/play area but my sofa is in the middle facing the wall.  My wall is 15 feet wide and it is about 11 feet from the wall to the couch, and the ceiling height is normal.  Of course the room extends significantly behind my couch but that's the listening distance from the wall.  Right now the Spendors are slightly towed in and about 8 feet apart.  Spendor specs are below amp specs.

THANKS IN ADVANCE...THIS IS A BIG PURCHASE AND I WANNA GET IT RIGHT

Copyright Audio Mirror©2007
IMGP2532
45 Watt parallel SET
45 watt per channel mono-blocks
item3
SPECS

The carcass is constructed from 18mm MDF throughout, with critically placedcircumferential braces to create a rigid structure without adding mass. Indeed, despite its rigid structure, the A6 only weighs 18kg – far lighter than you expect when you go to pick one up. The tweeter is the familiar Spendorversion of the 29mm SEAS ring-radiator design, its faceplate enhanced by a sophisticated elliptical wave-guide. The bass/mid unit uses an ep38 plastic cone built into a 170mm die-cast chassis, which operates up to a high 4kHz cross-over point. The drivers are carefully pair-matched for consistency.

Which brings us to the crossover itself, a key component in the speaker’s design and thinking. The S6 was never a particularly awkward load, but Spendor were determined to improve matters still further,off-setting the A6’s lowish 86dB sensitivity by combining it with a flat, 8 Ohm impedance characteristic. The network itself uses hybrid second/third order slopes and is engineered to offer minimal phase shift and good impulse response as well as a smooth frequency balance. Overall phase coherence is a keyaspect of Spendor designs, and the crossover is a critical contributor to this goal. But it’s not just the design but the execution that’s impressive. The circuit board is mounted into a substantial MDF traythat is inserted into the base of the speaker, forming the upper face of the rear mounted slot port thatexits at the foot of the cabinet. This both braces the components and provides a firm mounting for the single pair of WBT binding posts, removing the need for a terminal panel and the weakness it would introduce into the cabinet.

Hi @ndavis1971 welcome to the Klipsch forum!  

I have not heard the Cornwalls but they have a great reputation on this Forum.  Your 45 watt tube amp should make the Cornwalls come alive, I think you will like that large, live! sound.

Will you be buying the Cornwall III new, or are you thinking pre-owned?

If new, there is a recently released speaker for 2017 called the Forte III that has even the old experienced guys here selling existing setups to pick this one up.  It gets rave reviews from everyone who has listened to them.  It has a complete sound from top to bottom and would work great with your tube amp.

The Forte III was called awarded one of the Best New Audio Products at CES 2017 four months ago.  Tune in a the :55 mark.

Here are the Forte III's in action:

If you need a Klipsch dealer there is a trusted seller @MetropolisLakeOutfitters who regularly posts here who can help you out, with honest advice, pricing and above all dealer support.  Highly recommended.

• Thanks 1

Wow, thanks for the replies so far.  I'm here in Houston, TX USA.  Wow, those Forte III's have a nice tight base, which I like.  I don't like ill-defined or bass heavy speakers, which is why I like Spendors.  It's a speaker that really meshes across the spectrum, unlike some Salk transmission line speakers that I had to return because the base was just too pronounced.  I can get open box (but otherwise new) pair of Cornwall III's on the Bay with a 30 day return, so that's what I was eyeing (I know kinda high but I can return them).  But now I'm curious about these Forte III's...

Edited by ndavis1971
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ndavis1971 said:

I LISTEN TO ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC BLUES (FROM LEADBELLY TO SRV)

Stevie Ray and similar sounds incredible on Fortes.  I mean truly.  Not joking.  They are my favorite for blues guitar.  If you didn't want to run a sub they are really nice, plenty of bass with them if you set them up in the room right.  The smaller footprint is nice too, going from what you have now to LaScala's would be a pretty big jump.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

If new, there is a recently released speaker for 2017 called the Forte III that has even the old experienced guys here selling existing setups to pick this one up.  It's only about $150 more per speaker than the Cornwall III and seems to get rave reviews from everyone who has listened to them.  It has a complete sound from top to bottom and would work great with your tube amp.

That's not correct. Cornwall III's list for $4400 a pair in black or basic walnut....Forte III's are $3600 in the same dress. 

There should be a dealer in your local area. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, avguytx said:

That's not correct. Cornwall III's list for $4400 a pair in black or basic walnut....Forte III's are $3600 in the same dress. 

Thanks for the correction.  :emotion-21:

I took the pricing out of my post further upstream ^^^ to avoid confusion.

58 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

That room can handle Fortes, Cornwalls La Scalas or Belles. 

To keep it looking nice in there and access the cabinets on the right side I would look at the Fortes but the Cornwalls might fit nicely.  You do not want to crowd it. 

Nice dogs. 

I'm thinking Fortes as they can also be pulled out from the wall to avoid reflections.  That will really help the imaging. 

Thanks for everyone's ideas. I would love to hear if anyone prefers the Cornwalls to Forte for the setup and type of music I listen to. Or specific reasons why not. I ask because I got this friend here and he's so adamant about cornwalls. He's like I've heard them and then and quads are the best. I've never heard fortes. If they're so good why did they stop making them.  They're just bringing back to make money and make them sound new and better etc etc. So he's really trying to steer me to the cornwalls big time. I'd tell him to bug off but he's one of those annoying friends who's almost always right!!!  But maybe he's wrong here?  

Edited by ndavis1971

• Moderators

I would say either would work great in your room.

1 hour ago, ndavis1971 said:

I don't like ill-defined or bass heavy speakers, which is why I like Spendors.  It's a speaker that really meshes across the spectrum, unlike some Salk transmission line speakers that I had to return because the base was just too pronounced.

This statement from you has me thinking the forte might be best for you, to me the Cornwall tends to have alot of bass, not sloppy or boomy but it is a little bass heavy. The Forte to me is more balanced, it would be really nice if you could hear one or the other before making up your mind. Check to find out if there is anyplace you could listen to either.

Except maby for your choice for bass either would work great, you never know you may love Cornwalls ?

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, ndavis1971 said:

Thanks for everyone's ideas. I would love to hear if anyone prefers the Cornwalls to Forte for the setup and type of music I listen to. Or specific reasons why not. I ask because I got this friend here and he's so adamant about cornwalls. He's like I've heard them and then and quads are the best. I've never heard fortes. If they're so good why did they stop making them.  They're just bringing back to make money and make them sound new and better etc etc. So he's really trying to steer me to the cornwalls big time. I'd tell him to bug off but he's one of those annoying friends who's almost always right!!!  But maybe he's wrong here?  

To me i would think it may depend on the room as to which one I would pick. I think they stopped making the forte in the mid to late 90's. I would think they may have brought it back because it still has a really good reputation many years later.

We have both versions of the forte, 1 and 2 and I have to say they never just brought it back they greatly improved it in my opinion. I would think the main reason for bringing them back was partly to make money, I would if I ran Klipsch, And partly because from the top of the company down there are many people who play music themselves and they are proud to make and sell speakers that sound live, and can kick azz.

*If your friend really knows how you like your music, he may be right, BUT has your friend heard the new Forte ? If so he may be thinking the Cornwall is a better fit for you ?..........try to get a listen somewhere even if it's different amps or music, you could still hear the design of the speaker.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ndavis1971 said:

He's like I've heard them and then and quads are the best. I've never heard fortes. If they're so good why did they stop making them.  

Your adamant friend is not wrong per se, it's more likely he hasn't heard these new updated speakers or know the story behind their resurrection. 

Klipsch is less of a company and more like belonging to a club, much like BMW or Harley-Davidson.  There is a rich tradition here and a very strong connection to the company's founder and chief engineer, Paul W. Klipsch, rip.

Paul hired and worked with a brilliant engineer Roy Delgado who fully understands the Klipsch philosophy and knows what great sound sounds like.  Roy actually posts on this forum and Klipsch owners can talk and interact with the guy who is designing the speakers today.  Roy goes by @Chief bonehead.  I know of no other speaker company where you can ask a question and the chief engineer can give you an answer.

Klipsch is unique because they have speakers which have been produced since 1956 and so need to be updated and refreshed every so often.  These older designed speakers that were designed by PWK are called Heritage speakers, as opposed the newer designs (Reference Premier or RP) which are geared towards 5.1 and Atmos setups.

The Forte III is a Heritage speaker which Roy put his personal touch to.  It uses the most modern of components and the sound has been refined and dialed in like no other.  It is this most recent update, the Forte III which was released 4 months ago at CES to rave reviews. 

Several of the long-time posters on this forum made their annual pilgrimage to Hope, Arkansas where the speaker is made and got to listen and compare it to other Klipsch speakers.  It's hard to impress people who already own top-of-the-line speakers but by all accounts the Forte III got top marks for its outstanding balance and dynamic sound.  Chief Bonehead got credit for making it that way.

Your best bet is if you can go somewhere and listen to both the Cornwall III and the Forte III and make your own decision. 

It doesn't matter what we think, it only matters what YOU think listening to speakers in your house, with your amp, with your ears.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Your best bet is if you can go somewhere and listen to both the Cornwall III and the Forte III and make your own decision. 

It doesn't matter what we think, it only matters what YOU think listening to speakers in your house, with your amp, with your ears.

Absolutely true!  Look up the Forte III and the Cornwall III on the Klipsch website and click on "Find a dealer," then call ahead -- it's best to hear them both in the same room.

Now, for tight but fairly extended bass (down to about 35 Hz), horn loaded bass in enclosures bigger than the La Scala might be just the thing.  Neither the Forte III (haven't heard it) nor the Cornwall III have horn loaded bass.  The two Klipsch speakers that have tight bass and are horn loaded in the bass, as well as having decent extension are the Klipschorn and the Jubilee.  My Klipschorns are fairly smooth to 35 Hz, and extend to 24 Hz, but with considerable attenuation.  The Klipschorn needs corners (real or artificial), but the Jubilee does not really need them, but should probably be fairly near a corner.   Many people prefer the Jubilee.

Now, if you prefer to not hear bass below about 45 Hz, as well as the bass being tight, the La Scala II might be good, with its horn loaded bass.  It's just not big enough to reach as low as the Klipschorn, or the Jubilee.

Some of the old Klipsch spec sheets listed the Cornwalls (not the IIIs) as having three times the modulation distortion as the Klipschorns.  Someone on this forum no doubt has copies of those spec sheets they could post.  I believe the La Scalas had the same low distortion as the Klipschorns, just didn't go down as far.

• Like 2

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm really glad I hopped on this forum for the first time. First I learned about the Forte III's when I was about to pull the trigger on some Cornwalls. And second because it led me to buy the Forte III's from a fellow forum member.

The short of it is that the midrange and tight bass led me to the Forte III over the Cornwalls. Apparently the Cornwalls underwent some changes, including a smaller midrange horn, after not being sold for 15 years or so. The technology is also lagging behind the Forte III from what I have read.  

FYI, I called all ten or so dealers in H Town to sample the Heritage line. Not one had the line available to hear before buying. It is sad to think so many people have moved onto AV surround sound equipment, or are not willing to pay a reasonable amount for speakers, that those of us serious about two channel audio cannot even sample products made right here in the USA. 

Anyhow, this forum was so helpful and I really appreciate it!

• Like 2