Jumping from Spendors to Klipsch and NEED HELP

ndavis1971

Not trying to threadcrap, and not trying to start something.  But I'm wanting to learn what the heritage fans think.  I've got a pair of RP 280f's that show specs from 32 to 25.  The Forte III"s show specs of 38 to 20.  Being the relative newbie that I am, it would seem that the RP's have a greater range than the Forte's.  I've had my RP's for over a year, love them, and certainly don't need a sub for anything that I listen to.  I hear plenty of mid range, and the highs are crisp.  So, $1200 a pair vs $3800 a pair.  What am I missing that would warrant an additional $2600?  Is it that they are American made?  Cabinet material?  I'm in it for the sound, so where would the advantages be for the Forte's over the RP 280f's?

If I've offended anyone, please accept my apologies.  Again, I just want to learn something here.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesD1957 said:

I'm wanting to learn what the heritage fans think.  I've got a pair of RP 280f's that show specs from 32 to 25.  The Forte III"s show specs of 38 to 20.  Being the relative newbie that I am, it would seem that the RP's have a greater range than the Forte's.

The numbers do indicate the P-280F to have greater range, but that is theoretical.  In real life that top number 20 vs 25 is insignificant.  

I don't know how old you are but I'm 61 and I've run plenty of frequency sweeps on Youtube.  I can't hear a thing over 12 KHz.  Even in my youth I was only good to about 17KHz and you can't hear above 20 KHz.

On 9/14/2017 at 8:44 PM, ndavis1971 said:

Thanks for everyone's ideas. I would love to hear if anyone prefers the Cornwalls to Forte for the setup and type of music I listen to. Or specific reasons why not. I ask because I got this friend here and he's so adamant about cornwalls. He's like I've heard them and then and quads are the best. I've never heard fortes. If they're so good why did they stop making them.  They're just bringing back to make money and make them sound new and better etc etc. So he's really trying to steer me to the cornwalls big time. I'd tell him to bug off but he's one of those annoying friends who's almost always right!!!  But maybe he's wrong here?  

I prefer Cornwalls to Fortes. I've had them both. Liked them both, but preferred the flexibility that I feel Cornwalls offer over Fortes. 

CW's can be used flat up against walls/corners, or not. They really don't care. Forte's again require more work to get them just right.  Again, my experience.

I don't feel that CW's are bass heavy at all. Yes, they have a 15" woofer, but I find them to be quite even handed with their tonality. They go low, but realistically so. I've had speakers that go lower(acoustic suspension speakers like KLH Fives and AR 3/3A). 

I think you would be immensely pleased using CW's with your tube rig. I've used mine with all kinds of amps, tube and solid state, and they have never disappointed.  They handle low and high power amps without problem, on all kinds of music. And they look good doing it. 

0525170818.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The numbers do indicate the P-280F to have greater range, but that is theoretical.  In real life that top number 20 vs 25 is insignificant.  

I don't know how old you are but I'm 61 and I've run plenty of frequency sweeps on Youtube.  I can't hear a thing over 12 KHz.  Even in my youth I was only good to about 17KHz and you can't hear above 20 KHz.

I'll be 60 in couple of months and have seen quite a few changes in speaker technology and design in my years.  But I've never really tried to "look under the hood" too much so to speak.  Thing is, I really like the heritage series for what it is, and when I was a teacher (band director, retired after 30 years) we had some Heresy's in the Band Hall.  They sounded good for what I needed from them, but like most have observed, they seemed to be lacking in the bass department.  Really obvious when the kids weren't in the room and I was listening to classic rock!  But I guess what I would be looking for is some really convincing proof that I'm missing out on something by not having heritage line speakers.  To me, the ones I'm most interested in are the Cornwalls and the Fortes.  But, price is a consideration, so here I sit happily listening to my RP 280'fs.  This thread caught my attention because the OP lives in Houston, and I live in a suburb of Houston.  Stores just don't exist where someone can go and listen to this level of speaker.  Sad state of affairs.

• Like 1

I actually wasn't able to audition them. I'm buying from Cory Harrison of Metropolis Lake Outfitters who someone recommended in the forums. He's heard them all and patiently answered all my questions.

I don't think anyone can go wrong with the Cornwalls or Fortes, but the Klipsch engineer R. Delgado worked really hard on the Forte III's and the forum auditioned them at Klipsch.  That counts for a whole lot in my book.

I just sense the Forte is the start of a new round of (re)designs that are based on newer technology and experiments. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Cornwall IV with a better and bigger midhorn, etc.  

Edited by ndavis1971
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, ndavis1971 said:

I just sense the Forte is the start of a new round of (re)designs that are based on newer technology and experiments.

I think you have good instincts and reasoning.  I'm looking forward to your evaluation of them.

When your buddy hears them for the first time, be sure and take pictures of his reaction.  I have a feeling he will have a big grin on his face, then he can take recommendations from you.  B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ndavis1971 said:

I actually wasn't able to audition them. I'm buying from Cory Harrison of Metropolis Lake Outfitters who someone recommended in the forums. He's heard them all and patiently answered all my questions.

I got my Forte's from Cory also. Good choice on speakers and Cory.

I really like mine. Let us know what you think.

congrats!!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JamesD1957 said:

I'll be 60 in couple of months and have seen quite a few changes in speaker technology and design in my years.

To me, the ones I'm most interested in are the Cornwalls and the Fortes.  But, price is a consideration, so here I sit happily listening to my RP 280'fs.  This thread caught my attention because the OP lives in Houston, and I live in a suburb of Houston.  Stores just don't exist where someone can go and listen to this level of speaker.  Sad state of affairs.

I just turned 60. I agree with you that there is no where to audition speakers like there was when I was a lot younger. Now I have the money to spend after the kids are out on their own, there was no where to listen. I went thru a lot of speakers trying to find the ones I liked

I had RP-280F's also. Heresy's too. Then I found @MetropolisLakeOutfitters was about 120 miles from me and had some speakers for me to listen to. I heard the Fortes and bought them from Cory. They sound great and I bought a RC-64II from Cory also. I hope you find the additional money and get them. Sound great with music or part of a home theater. With a sub and the Forte's set to high on your AVR, movies sound fantastic with bass coming from everywhere. 

contact Cory and ask him about them. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, whatever55 said:

How would the Forte III's compare to RF-7's ?

When I was talking to Cory before I bought, he said the Forte's sounded better. I think they are the same price too. That being said, I've never heard RF-7's. I trust Cory and I thought I read in the Forte or pilgrimage topics that there were several in agreement....depends on your ears....

Let the debate begin.... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whatever55 said:

How would the Forte III's compare to RF-7's ?

Upper midrange of 7's can't hang with the Fortes.  Fortes just sound more clear and controlled to me.  Midrange horn of the Forte is pretty magical.  

• Like 1