Forte II oak clear

dtr20

12 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Cherry darkens for the same reason as maple darkens...high iron content in the wood fibers.  It has nothing to do with sunlight, it has to do with RUSTING...or slow oxidation of the iron within the wood fiber...it tends to turn a darker reddish color over time as the iron content within the wood fiber oxidizes.  That is why the "antique maple" stains are a reddish brown color...if you leave the wood raw or oiled, it will darken all by itself over time.  The problem with applying an "antique maple" stain is that the wood under it wil stil darken over time, and eventually, that with the combination of the dark stain will make it appear almost reddish-black...which is what people find out if they keep a piece of maple furniture which was originally stained to look like antique maple for a long enough time.  For some odd reason, it seems that trees which have a high sugar content, such as maple, cherry, apple, persimmon, peach, plum, etc....ALSO tend to have a high wood fiber iron content..I have no idea why this is...but they all tend to darken with age, with apple wood darkening the least of those listed....and strangely apple wood has the lowest sugar content of the bunch!...go figure!  Have you ever put the end grain of maple or cherry to a belt sander???   Did you smell the "burnt sugar" as it was sanded???

You're right in that it will darken with time. My point is that it will darken more quickly.... by a large amount with UV - light. Also, Walnut will washout, bleach, lighten or whatever someone wants to call it.

The thread I links is about finish, but right out of the gate, no one disagrees that light does what I'm claiming. If someone wants to have uniform color on their speakers and other furniture,  keep it out of direct sunlight. 

http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fine-woodworking-knots/general-discussion/cherry-oxidation-under-finish

On 9/20/2017 at 12:20 PM, HDBRbuilder said:
On 9/17/2017 at 7:37 AM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

^This^ 

Whoever has Cherry, be mindful of the sunlight: It will DARKEN the sides that are exposed to the light. If a Cherry board is placed in the sun for a week with an area shaded (another something placed on the board), it is easy to see the non shaded area will be darker - tan lines.

Cherry will darken due to sunlight

Walnut will bleach (lighten) due to sunlight

Cherry darkens for the same reason as maple darkens...high iron content in the wood fibers.  It has nothing to do with sunlight

I am all for learning what I don't know and accepting something different that what I thought I knew. I have had several years in the hardwood veneer slicing industry (machinery design and machinery building), so I have been around several conversations about woods. I am familiar with wood quality due to where it grew such as in the north vs the south and if it grew in a moist area vs dry that can change the density, sap, heart, pith and such. I have read several articles about wood finishing. Several reputable publications claim UV and oxygen are the catalysts that causes the darkening. 

Popular Woodworking Magazine

Wood Magazine.com

And the reference that I have posted b4

Please share some reading material that says UV has nothing to do with making Cherry dark and that heat is what makes it dark.  

On 9/21/2017 at 12:00 PM, Ceptorman said:

Is there any kind of clearcoat, wax, or protection to slow this down?

UV sunglasses? :ph34r:

Most of the claims is that the the finish will protect the surface from other oils such as from someone's hands and maybe from a sweaty glass for a short time (it keeps the wood from soaking into the pores other stuff...for a short time). It can darken the surface. I am a natural man and I don't like very many stains. 

• 3 years later...
On 9/23/2017 at 10:48 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I am all for learning what I don't know and accepting something different that what I thought I knew. I have had several years in the hardwood veneer slicing industry (machinery design and machinery building), so I have been around several conversations about woods. I am familiar with wood quality due to where it grew such as in the north vs the south and if it grew in a moist area vs dry that can change the density, sap, heart, pith and such. I have read several articles about wood finishing. Several reputable publications claim UV and oxygen are the catalysts that causes the darkening. 

Popular Woodworking Magazine

Wood Magazine.com

And the reference that I have posted b4

Please share some reading material that says UV has nothing to do with making Cherry dark and that heat is what makes it dark.  

Well I'm not going to give my 2 cents on whether on not light or heat darkens the wood but HDBR worked for Klipsch for a long long time and tbh his initials are probably on your Klipsch speakers as he did A LOT of them. based on his experience in the Klipsch business for over easily 20+ years i would believe whatever he says over some articles no offense, he has more experience with Klipsch speakers than probably 99% of people on the Klipsch forums. I don't know hdbr personally but i know he is very knowledgeable  on everything Klipsch and I would believe him on the affects of heat/light on the speakers over any article but that's just me I guess.

• Like 1