Mostly non expensive CD player, and some NOS DAC

BBZink

Good day,

just bought a inexpensive CD player :

Hitachi DA400, same chip as the Sony 100 1rst generation, very musical and 10$

As good as my philips 150 and 300

Well build and sound like vinyle

Back then i guess first years many CD we're mainly build by sony or philips and since sony and philips want to give a chance to CD, there are many clones out there, not expensive reliable and musical to!

Any other suggestion, i should look for? clone or the real thing in 198? something year of build

Regards

Though not always inexpensive on the used market, Denon put out some really good ones 80's and 90's.

$$$

DCD-3520, DCD-3560

$$

DCD-2560

$

DCD-1500

DCD-1520

Also look into Adcom carousel players like the GCD-600 and GCD-700.  Both a bit mechanically noisy when changing CDs but the sound they produce is very musical, IMO.

Bill

9 minutes ago, mike stehr said:

Some of the older higher line of Marantz CD players got plenty of praise.

Like the 74, who is a philips, for those who don't know during the process Philips bought marantz and then over the year transfer is technologie to marantz team the building of cd players.

So basically, Marantz is philips audio with better look!

Tpjrs,

I'm getting the impression that you want your compact discs to sound as much like vinyl or analog as possible.

What of the idea of a compact disc player that uses a vacuum tube buffered analog output? They have more of an analog sound quality...or they round things off a bit to kill the digital grit.

I own and owned a couple of tube output CD players. The one I owned was Carver 490/T or some such, it used 6DJ8s. I liked that player, but the laser went weak...I wished I had tried to replace the laser instead of retiring the unit.

The one I have currently is a Heart/Marantz CD6000 with 6DJ8 tube output. I had a Rega Planet that I modded with Hexfreds and some different analog output caps, but it got ripped off in a burglary. The player had an somewhat of an analog sound quality about it, and it wasn't tube buffered. Top loading trumps those mechanical tray loaders in my opinion.

While some of the six disc Pioneer changers are nothing special with regard to sound quality, they are reliable like an old truck. Some of the Elite series single players are decent sounding.

Mike

Just put my hand on Pioneer PD91, huge, heavy build like a tank, will listen to it tonight or tomorrow

Rega planet, yes i forgot that one, will look for one, thanks (spacious and musical, warm warm warm)

So far modern CD players with there layers of oversampling and all gizmo, sound accurate but lack of warm sound. 

Since my wife, don't like me to store tons of lp's in our living room, i have to go streaming or CD's.

For streaming, i have order and assemble an ebay chinese dac tda1541 with op amp. Sound great, but not as good as old cd player tda1540 or first sony 90017.

For now, i listen my hitachi, more and more and as listen my cd's collection threw it before converting it with itunes and amazing is the world.

i wish i am more good with programming, because i have good idea for software and those old cd's player and there very good DAC.

Those old inexpensive CD player sound better than modern one. Also first all universal player sound good to!

I got rid of all my old CD players over the last 5 years. Just got tired of messing with the discs I guess. Now everything is ripped as FLAC files to my NAS and played via Jriver from a small Dell desktop's USB output to the Onkyo preamp. I guess the only CD player I have left is a Carver DTL-200 from around 1988 or so. But the only reason I have it is it's signed by Bob Carver and it does work...i play one once in awhile to make sure it does. But it's laser is on its last leg and unobtainium now. But it matches all the other Carver gear and it's signed...so it stays. I just donated 3 CD players to Habitat a few weeks ago. 

I see many Rotel and Marantz CD players under the $100 mark.  I've also seen a fair share of Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha players under that as well.  Most of the Yamaha's though are changers - and I've preferred lately to stay with single disc players.  There are a few Sony ES players out there that you can find under $100 too.  I have an C85ES right now that I need to get back to that needs fixing up.  It's a great unit.

5 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I see many Rotel and Marantz CD players under the $100 mark.  I've also seen a fair share of Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha players under that as well.  Most of the Yamaha's though are changers - and I've preferred lately to stay with single disc players.  There are a few Sony ES players out there that you can find under $100 too.  I have an C85ES right now that I need to get back to that needs fixing up.  It's a great unit.

Yamaha the cdx series will last forever, the best of the best was a cdx1120 or 1020, aluminum tray, program cd that remember the cd and the program you choose. Sell it for peanuts bad move, but i was young!

My Philips CD-960 was a good one, albeit a heavy one @ over 20 lb! It's machined Al tray took energy to move - and the wear on the rubber belts took it's toll, eventually rendering it a paperweight.It was originally ~$2k. NAP/Magnavox denied knowledge of it - or my Philips FA-50 integrated amp (All I wanted was a schematic- it had a defective channel.). I left the CDP in the garage - along with my '68-vintage AR, Inc amplifier when I moved here four years ago. I somehow brought the '68 vintage AR turntable with me (and the defunct FA-50 amp!) although my vinyl collection, from ~'62 on was abandoned in a divorce.  I started collecting CD's ~'86, so, when I tired of pushing the drawer shut on the CD-960,  I repurposed a Yamaha DVD player as a CDP - and a replaced AVR as a 2-channel system. I simply looked over spec's and reviews and elected to try an Onkyo C-7030 3.5 yr ago - and was elated to the point where I bought a 50 Wpc stereo Onkyo receiver - TX-8020. I recycled that upstairs in my bonus room for a workbenchh stereo/2.1 HT. I bought a second C-7030 - it drives my MP-301 MK3 tube amp which drives my Heresys in my office. The 6.5 Watts is enough to drive my Heresys to quite loud levels in my 11' x 12' office. But the C-7030 CDP is the important piece here - VG transport, stable base, and advanced Wolfson D/A chips combine to make a much better CD player than you'd expect for <$150 (Amazon, etc).

10 minutes ago, Stainz said:

My Philips CD-960 was a good one, albeit a heavy one @ over 20 lb! It's machined Al tray took energy to move - and the wear on the rubber belts took it's toll, eventually rendering it a paperweight.It was originally ~$2k. NAP/Magnavox denied knowledge of it - or my Philips FA-50 integrated amp (All I wanted was a schematic- it had a defective channel.). I left the CDP in the garage - along with my '68-vintage AR, Inc amplifier when I moved here four years ago. I somehow brought the '68 vintage AR turntable with me (and the defunct FA-50 amp!) although my vinyl collection, from ~'62 on was abandoned in a divorce.  I started collecting CD's ~'86, so, when I tired of pushing the drawer shut on the CD-960,  I repurposed a Yamaha DVD player as a CDP - and a replaced AVR as a 2-channel system. I simply looked over spec's and reviews and elected to try an Onkyo C-7030 3.5 yr ago - and was elated to the point where I bought a 50 Wpc stereo Onkyo receiver - TX-8020. I recycled that upstairs in my bonus room for a workbenchh stereo/2.1 HT. I bought a second C-7030 - it drives my MP-301 MK3 tube amp which drives my Heresys in my office. The 6.5 Watts is enough to drive my Heresys to quite loud levels in my 11' x 12' office. But the C-7030 CDP is the important piece here - VG transport, stable base, and advanced Wolfson D/A chips combine to make a much better CD player than you'd expect for <$150 (Amazon, etc).

Still for sale on amazon, tempting...

I have heard this player once - and that was when it was paired with an RX-A2040 and a buddy's Martin Logan setup.  London Symphony was the selection, but I couldn't tell you which tracks.  I actually really liked how it sounded.  I prefer the sound of my ERC-1 over it, but I would not dismiss the Yamaha at all.

That being said - I can't say for absolutely certainty that it was the disc, the speakers, the amp, or the player that sounded good - but I found it to be at least a good investment for what he paid ($299).