Mostly non expensive CD player, and some NOS DAC

BBZink

On 9/20/2017 at 7:42 PM, Tpjrs said:

Amazon suggest this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-CD-S300BL-Natural-Sound-Player/dp/B00916E6FE/ref=pd_cp_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4FDZ0YBS3PV0V23SR39A

Yamaha CD-S300BL, seems good with classical, anyone had a comment?

regards

Tpjrs,

I find that my new Yamaha CD-S300BL has great sound and tremendous imaging for the price (Massively discounted to $275 Canadian or $223 USD). 

I'm hearing more ambient sound from the studio and other small details in the recordings than even my expensive, but much older Onkyo Integra DX-708 is capable of.  

The Yamaha seems better as well for solid and tight bass reproduction.

It conveniently runs with the same remote from my Yamaha R-S700 Receiver.

It has an interesting feature called: Selectable Pure Direct Output (Analog Only) for a cleaner signal to your receiver.  I also use this in conjunction with the Selectable CD Direct Amp feature on the Yamaha Receiver for the simplest, purest signal path.

And lastly, it will play files from a USB Thumbdrive or USB type devices.

Main Drawbacks (at least, for me):

The CD-S300BL is much slower to load and respond to commands than many older, full-feature players.

Fast Forward or Reverse is incredibly slow.

It has no headphone jack or variable volume output (but lack of variable output can also mean a cleaner, undistorted signal path to your receiver or amp.)

It also has a tiny minimalist display and only essential controls...no bells or whistles.

28 minutes ago, Tpjrs said:

there's is also some marantz\philips or teac on amazon for 299$ was it worth it?

I just picked up a Denon DVD 2900 last night for a secondary system (although it could easily be a main CD player). 

If you are willing to pay $300, expect to see Oppo 103's hitting the market at that price as Blue Rays are phased out. 

44 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

If you are willing to pay $300, expect to see Oppo 103's hitting the market at that price as Blue Rays are phased out. 

Excellent point.  I have a 103 myself, and it's an absolute gem.  It's a beefy unit that handles just about anything you can throw at it.

19 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Excellent point.  I have a 103 myself, and it's an absolute gem.  It's a beefy unit that handles just about anything you can throw at it.

It also has ethernet, HDMI and USB inputs.  I assume that means that it can be used as a DAC. 

How well does it interface with a network attached storage or external hard drive loaded with music?  Does it have a nice interface?  Maybe one that can be controlled by a tablet or phone? 

Just now, tigerwoodKhorns said:

It also has ethernet, HDMI and USB inputs.  I assume that means that it can be used as a DAC. 

How well does it interface with a network attached storage or external hard drive loaded with music?  Does it have a nice interface?  Maybe one that can be controlled by a tablet or phone? 

I don't remember if the 103 can, but I know the 95 and 105 are sought after BECAUSE of their DAC.

I have had no issues with it seeing drives on the network, computers on my network or delay in accessing any of those devices.  I also have used local memory - hard drive - with it, and it's never thrown an issue with that.  The interface is simple yet nice looking - I can't say it's flashy, but it does exactly what I need it to do without sifting through a bunch of menus.

Oppo has an app to control it and I do have it installed on my phone, and used it a few times, but prefer the remote simply because - I hate network remotes.

14 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I can't say for sure.  I know many a people who like and enjoy their Marantz players though.  Might be worth it at that price.  Phillips - nothing of the new models anyway...

marantz is philips high end...

13 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

sound like what i am looking for anyone try the usb dac playing?

2 hours ago, Tpjrs said:

That may have been true to some extent years ago, but no longer.  Philips was only associated with Marantz from 1980 to 2008.  Philips has since sold its holdings in the company.

Now only Denon and Marantz products may have some shared engineering.

As a side note: The other recent merger of Audio companies means that some Onkyo and Pioneer audio electronic products are virtually identical.

Many of their products now contain the same interior topography/components and have identical back panels.

On 2017-09-20 at 9:43 PM, Klipsch-Meister said:

Tpjrs,

I find that my new Yamaha CD-S300 has great sound and tremendous imaging for the price (Massively discounted to $275 Canadian or $223 USD). 

I'm hearing more ambient sound from the studio and other small details in the recordings than even my expensive, but much older Onkyo Integra DX-708 is capable of.  

The Yamaha seems better as well for solid and tight bass reproduction.

It conveniently runs with the same remote from my Yamaha R-S700 Receiver.

It has an interesting feature called: Selectable Pure Direct Output (Analog Only) for a cleaner signal to your receiver.  I also use this in conjunction with the Selectable CD Direct Amp feature on the Yamaha Receiver for the simplest, purest signal path.

And lastly, it will play files from a USB Thumbdrive or USB type devices.

Main Drawbacks (at least, for me):

The CD-S300 is much slower to load and respond to commands than many older, full-feature players.

Fast Forward or Reverse is incredibly slow.

It has no headphone jack or variable volume output (but lack of variable output can also mean a cleaner, undistorted signal path to your receiver or amp.)

It also has a tiny minimalist display and only essential controls...no bells or whistles.

Went tonight to listen the CD-S300 amazing sound, really really good, but the store manager offer me for the same price a BD-A1060 Yamaha universal player Aventage serie? sound very good to and has a bypass so all electronic to video is turn off and it plays in cd mode? anyone knows this universal player, any comment?

9 hours ago, Tpjrs said:

7 hours ago, Klipsch-Meister said:

Philips has since sold its holdings in the company.

Has not been the case for a while now, as Meister said.  Hence why I said older model Philips.  D&M holdings maintains Denon and Marantz - so those two will share the components.  That being said, both of those offer some pretty respectable options in a reasonable price range.

9 hours ago, Tpjrs said:

Went tonight to listen the CD-S300 amazing sound, really really good, but the store manager offer me for the same price a BD-A1060 Yamaha universal player Aventage serie? sound very good to and has a bypass so all electronic to video is turn off and it plays in cd mode? anyone knows this universal player, any comment?

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-player/universal/yamaha-bd-a1060-universal-blu-ray-player-review/

This review seems pretty favorable for that universal player.  And, if I'm not mistaken, Yamaha's Aventage Series products generally have a longer warranty period than the comparable Yamaha items (at least in Canada).

16 hours ago, Klipsch-Meister said:

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-player/universal/yamaha-bd-a1060-universal-blu-ray-player-review/

This review seems pretty favorable for that universal player.  And, if I'm not mistaken, Yamaha's Aventage Series products generally have a longer warranty period than the comparable Yamaha items (at least in Canada).

Thanks, lovely sound, not much for spotify and dac input, but except that great universal player, Melody Garbot, amazing voice on it great image! very satisfy!

"Non expensive CD player" would seem to exclude most 'universal' players - even used 103's.

As to Yamaha shiney disc players, we've had two - a DVD player that would over rev CDs sending them skidding (scuffing) inside and my wife's CD changer, a jam-o-matic. Both are bad memories. My two earlier AVRs were Yamahas - my last one is an Onkyo, which I am totally satisfied with - thus the C-7030 (and TX-8020) purchases, which I am also quite satisfied with, as well.

The Onkyo has a serviceable headphone amp, too - and it weighs 4 lb more than the 7.7 lb, and < 1/2" shorter, otherwise similar sized Yamaha CD-S300BL, while costing half as much here in the states Amazon Prime - $145 vs $299. Mine sound great, including playing my thirty year old copies of Dire Straits' "Brothers in Arms", Paul Simon's "Graceland", and Herbie Mann's "Memphis Underground", all easily identified by the inertial rings I adhered to their label-side outer circumference. My later purchase of an eight CD set (DG) of von Karajan conducting The Berliner Philharmoniker in Tchaikovsky - particularly, the 1812 Overture, which I had in vinyl - and played almost four decades ago on my AR turntable and amp driving a pair of Advent Large speakers. It sounded good, despite the dust-static (No, i don't miss vinyl!). Now it sounds great - I can hear tri-angles and bells - and other instruments as if suspended in space! The CD and CDP source are important - but I cannot discount my 6.5 Wpc tube amp (MP-301 MK3) or my Heresys as being at least partially causal. If you want a great CDP - with analog/optical/digital outputs - you can't spend that much money on a better one, although CDN prices seem higher... still a decent bargain, however.

Does anyone else recall those rings? They were self-adhesive and came with an alignment jig and were intended to increase the rotational inertia and reduce errors. I wonder what became of them? I wonder how many were installed on the wrong side??

So far, for inexpensive DAC, what i found sound great, exept the audioquest USB, it is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Muse-Hi-Fi-Fever-DAC-DIR9001-4X-TDA1543-parallel-connection-NOS-DAC-Silver-black-/262981193394?hash=item3d3ae68eb2:g:iFQAAOSwRgJXhOrK

52$

Still searching for a TDA1540 and TDA1541, inexpensive but price are skyrocking...

Found out yesterday and old very musical Hitachi DA400 for 10$, it is my second one i've purchase, i suspect them to be sony outsourced, will open them and take pic, to show you. Also technical sheet are available on the web...

Really a steal deal in the vintage area.

Thanks for i don't remember who, bring me this tought: "When CD was out, the only company who produced CD where philips or Sony so basicaly, most first generation CD we're Sony or Philips... DAC.

Regards

Edit:

Just found this

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2011/04/muse-mini-4-x-tda1543-dac/

On 2017-09-22 at 7:12 AM, Klipsch-Meister said:

Good evening,

i confirm great sound, breakin, just finished tonight and sound and image is great, still curious will maybe purchase cd player to the yamaha s300

thanks!

here the inside of hitachi DA400, it is clearly a sony 1rst gen, with some hitachi improvement, but i am thinking coud i just unplug cd transport (red circle) and add a USB there to use it as a DAC? It is a I2S protocole go there?

any help is welcome thanks 

DA400.jpg