Klipsch Jubilees and Roy's brand new Xilica Settings

Trentster5172

Well...  My Xilica XP-4080 is now programmed with brand new settings from the Jubilee creator at Klipsch himself- Roy Delgado!  I'd like to extend a huge thanks to Roy for working on this for current and future Jubilee owners!!!  And... another big thanks to Cory @MetropolisLakeOutfitters for working with Roy to make this happen!!!   Right now, without any added EQ my Jubilees sound natural right out of the box!  I personally believe this is going to be a huge game changer for anyone previously scared to mess with Jubilees and an active crossover.  

Heres the back story...  Cory @MetropolisLakeOutfitters ended up with a set of Roy's Jubilees after the Klipsch Pilgrimage...  something about a friendly competive fishing bet (but only Cory and Roy know the real story).  Afterwards Cory sent Roy a Xilica XP-4080 to work with.  The Xilica is a more modern DSP than the previously popular Electro Voice DX38 that has been discontinued.  Long story short-  we now have settings from Roy for the Xilica.  I've been listening for a few days and the results are fantastic right out of the box!  I'm loving it!  

So what does this mean?  Technically your Jubilees can be ordered with a pre-programmed Xilica DSP when you buy your Jubilees!  Follow the simple instructions included for connecting your Preamp or Receiver to the Xilica, then to your amps (bi-amping is required) and then connect the speaker wires to your Jubilees.  That's it and you're done!   Pretty cool.

IMG_0120.PNG

• Like 5

Here are a couple of sweeps in REW.  The red is raw with only a crossover point set.  The green is with the PEQ settings from Roy and his Low Shelf setting on the HF horn.  Measurements were taken from about one meter in front of the speaker.  All of course using my anechoic bean bag and equally anechoic pillows- LOL!!!

IMG_0121.PNG

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Trentster5172 said:

Well...  My Xilica XP-4080 is now programmed with brand new settings from the Jubilee creator at Klipsch himself- Roy Delgado!  I'd like to extend a huge thanks to Roy for working on this for current and future Jubilee owners!!!  And... another big thanks to Cory @MetropolisLakeOutfitters for working with Roy to make this happen!!!   Right now, without any added EQ my Jubilees sound natural right out of the box!  I personally believe this is going to be a huge game changer for anyone previously scared to mess with Jubilees and an active crossover.

This is great if it makes people more comfortable..!!!

I'll admit I have been a bit puzzled that people obviously able to use a computer were intimidated with programing these DSP units with Roy's programs. I believe for most they would find all it requires is playing with the programing until they got comfortable with their capability.

miketn

I think that there are a lot of potential Jubilee owners that aren't comfortable with the DSP programming part--at least up-front.  That's okay since Cory is supporting and can get you going with a pre-programmed Xilica.  

The really big deal, as you've pointed out Mike, is that you can later dial the low frequency end below the room's Schroeder frequency, and even tweak the overall system frequency response to further flatten it out due to amplifier--preamp--source frequency response irregularities...or even perhaps integrate another pair of compression drivers, if you so choose.  There's no cost associated with any of this except a little of your time to dial it in further.  It only takes a little familiarization with the unit's controls and the freely provided XConsole running on your PC/Mac, and a calibrated microphone--such as a UMIK-1. and the freeware REW in-room measurement app.

Chris

• Like 3

In discussing going active with my Jubes Ive been told if I am not Fully committed to tinkering, particularly with room analysis relative to DSP setting, than I should pass. I've understood it to be much more involved than merely programming in pre-determined values. But again never attempting it it is  just part of a discussion with another well versed Forum member. But I would defy someone to have a listen to my Crites passive Jubes and tell me they don't sound damn nice. I've just installed a most resolving preamp and with a First Watt F3 its now as good as Ive heard in my room.        

31 minutes ago, richieb said:

But I would defy someone to have a listen to my Crites passive Jubes and tell me they don't sound damn nice.

Richie

Roy's passive design for Jubs sound very good and are a valid option depending on a person's goals and both offer very good sound reproduction when done properly as Roy has demonstrated in the past.

miketn

50 minutes ago, richieb said:

In discussing going active with my Jubes Ive been told if I am not Fully committed to tinkering, particularly with room analysis relative to DSP setting, than I should pass.

Hmmm..... well it is an option not a requirement when going active and a very beneficial option if one decides to explore it IMHO.

miketn

58 minutes ago, richieb said:

In discussing going active with my Jubes Ive been told if I am not Fully committed to tinkering, particularly with room analysis relative to DSP setting, than I should pass.

It's actually quite easy, as a matter of fact.  And if you subtract the effort required to dial in the settings to start with--i.e., Cory supplies Xilicas with Roy's anechoic settings--then it gets really easy.   Of the home Jub owners that I'm aware of--about 53 to date--70% use DSP crossovers and most of those use Roy's settings if they're still using the Klipsch-supplied compression drivers--i.e., they're not really "tinkering", although it's there if they want to tinker. 

...and the Xilica is a really good device to have in order to "tinker". 

Chris

• Like 1

I'm amazed that you've figured out how to post pictures with messages in this forum...or use a computer at all...if you believe that using DSP crossovers is difficult. ;)

I think it's a pretty huge deal myself.  You're going to spend almost that much with a passive network anyway.  The biggest problem with the passive solution right now is that a schematic does not exist for the current K-691 and new 402 combination.  You can go with Crites but that's with a different compression driver, Roy doesn't consider it to be a Klipsch approved design and I respect that.  

You guys are pretty hardened by now so this stuff is second nature, but I've seen too many people get extremely frustrated trying to get the things working halfway decently when they get them.  Look up the thread called "Just purchased Klipsch 535 B Jubilee. Have questions.".  It was already a total cluster before it's halfway done with the second page and just gets worse.  All this mess is now gone with this solution.  This way it works out of the box, leaves you room to expand in the future at no extra cost such as adding a sub that needs some DSP tweaks, and allows you to customize it once you are comfortable assuming you ever feel the need.  Most importantly though, this guy could have been smiling within minutes even while knowing relatively little about them.  

• Like 4

Just now, Zim. said:

Do these new settings  address the differences between the Xilica and EV DX38 as well as the differences in the new (somewhat) K-691 and B&C-75 drivers?  

Yes, previously if you used the EV settings on a Xilica unit, once you got to the low shelf filter, it just went haywire.  That's why I sent one in.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, richieb said:

In discussing going active with my Jubes Ive been told if I am not Fully committed to tinkering, particularly with room analysis relative to DSP setting, than I should pass. I've understood it to be much more involved than merely programming in pre-determined values. But again never attempting it it is  just part of a discussion with another well versed Forum member.

Not true, whoever told you that is either a tinkerer or trying to over complicate things, or has a really terrible room, that simple. 

3 hours ago, Chris A said:

Of the home Jub owners that I'm aware of--about 53 to date--70% use DSP crossovers and most of those use Roy's settings if they're still using the Klipsch-supplied compression drivers--i.e., they're not really "tinkering", although it's there if they want to tinker. 

I am in that 70%, I use the original DSP's, I did play with another program but always went back to the original.

If you can buy a active crossover from Cory, it's plug and play, if you feel like changing anything that's your choice  BUT definitely not required. 

The general idea with a preset EQ from Cory is it's ready to go like any other Klipsch speaker, but unlike any other passive this setup can be changed easily at no cost.

This really needed to happen, like many people wanting to get into something like this I was very intimidated not being a tinkerer. I got lucky, JC was selling a EV DX-38 and generously offered to put in the settings for the mwm/402.    It's what I still use

• Like 1

For someone like me(a newb) with no knowledge on active set up or biamping or EQing, if i wanted to put a 402 or 510(both nearing 1k in price i assume?) on top of my LSi doghouse, i would need an active crossover like the Xilicia XP-4080($1k+) and i'd need separates to bi amp which i also don't have.  I just use a Marantz SR7007 AVR and i watch movies and listen to music and play games all through that and my gaming PC.  
I'm completely turned off by the idea of spending several thousand or more when i'd much rather spend the 1k or so on the horns+driver pair and whatever it would cost for a pair of passive 2 way crossover networks.  But, there are no passive crossovers that i could use the k510 or 402 on my LSi bass bin, correct?  The idea of a KPT-904-N plugging right into my AVR and enjoying is much more appealing to someone like me. Spending big money on separates and or active crossovers etc doesn't appeal to me until i find a dream set of speakers that i know i'll keep for the long haul and then i can build my gear up around it over time. 

I guess i'm not smart enough to figure out how to do active set ups but im smart enough to see the price for wood veneer and aesthetics doesn't equal the price of a plain black pro speaker that can outperform the home speaker.

1 hour ago, Zim. said:

I've been using the B&C-75/EV DX-38 settings (I have the k-691 driver)  in a Xilica XP-4080 for several months and I certainly don't feel its dialed in.  Other projects have kept me from diving into room analysis (rew) to try to figure out what needs corrected.    Where can one obtain the Xilica/K-691 settings?

@Zim. Cory hooked me up with the settings.  If you have a Xilica he can email you the file.  

I've found so far Roy's settings are what I prefer.  @Chris A and I got these Jubes sounding pretty darn good before I had any settings.  Now between Roy's settings as a starting point and the things that Chris taught me I'm set.  I can tinker until I'm blue in the face knowing I can always go back to Roy's or Chris's base settings at the click of a mouse.  I knew nothing about active crossovers and was pretty intimidated at first.  Chris A was really helpful and walked me through XConsole and REW.  The basic knowledge he patiently taught me has allowed me to tinker weekly.  I know a lot of people would prefer to go passive, but active is the future for bigger speakers/custom builds, etc.  Heck- a set of Klipschorns would be a totally different speaker if they were time aligned, tri-amped, and crossed over with a DSP. 

The price between active and passive is nearly identical if you have amps.  The deciding factors for me to go active were the following:

1.  Fix the time alignment between the bass bin and the 402.  I'd like to tell you it's not detectable, but it is.

2.  Klipsch (Roy) approved settings for the Jubilee with the new K691 driver.  This driver is awesome with the correct settings and so far I see no need to upgrade at this point.

3.  31 band EQ in the Xilica.  If you know absolutely nothing about PEQ's, low shelf filters, etc...  you can at least salt to taste here.  EQ's have been around forever, and almost any audiophile has played with one.

4.  If you're not afraid to tinker you can chase that last 5% of performance.  I now actually enjoy tinkering thanks to Chris- lol

• Like 3