Klipsch Jubilees and Roy's brand new Xilica Settings

Trentster5172

35 minutes ago, Marvel said:

An LS is 35" and the double MWMS is about 34" or so. That could be about right.

Bruce

Put it this way, when I went down to Detroit in 2008 (I think) to purchase Claude's KHorns,

I did loose sight of him for a bit when he went to the back side to hook up the speaker wire. ;)

23 hours ago, Chris A said:

There's a lot of reverence for the Khorn itself if you haven't noticed.  The fact that it has stayed in the product lineup should tell you something after the "Khorn II" (i.e., the Jubilee) was first released for home use in ~2006 about 4 years after PWK's passing.  It's the only Klipsch loudspeaker that basically hasn't changed since a "new and improved" version was developed.  The Khorn is clearly the remaining tribute to PWK, and I expect that it will stay in the product lineup as long as most of PWK's acolytes still work for Klipsch.  The fact that it still remains in the lineup is something of a mascot for the company.  It seems difficult to imagine a Klipsch without it.

Additionally, the Jubilee was apparently originally envisioned to use a DSP crossover by Roy, et al., while the Khorn has never had a DSP-based crossover to my knowledge.  The only instances of DSP-based crossover use with the Khorn that I'm aware of all come from customers that have converted them.  This is also true of the other Heritage and consumer products--they largely haven't used DSP crossovers, except for the newest "The Sixes" and other table-radio-type products ("The One", etc).  It's the heritage-Professional products (behind the screen) that are largely marketed assuming DSP crossovers as the standard installation configuration. For commercial cinema, this is typical practice.  It's only been in the last few years that this practice has become accepted in the consumer marketplace.

I'm sure that the settings that you use or that Greg Oshiro posted are as good or better than any that could be developed from within the anechoic chamber because your and Greg's settings were custom tailored for the rooms that they were measured in, correcting for room response below the Schroeder frequency of each room.

Chris

Hey Chris,

Thanks for your thoughts on my question, what you say does make sense. I was thinking that more Khorns are probably sold than Jub's and that's why I asked the question but, to your point I agree...

On 2017-09-21 at 1:05 PM, Md5150 said:

That's my setup. The 2 pairs of Cornscala's are now on the back wall not in use. They are awesome speakers but I'm probably going to sell them to help pay for more horn loaded bins, just need to make my mind up on what's next.

Mike.

Funny how horn loaded speakers relegates something as impressive as Cornscalas to the back wall!

I am still in denial about keeping my Cornwalls and Cornscalas.

Since bringing home a pair of '92 LaScalas a scant month ago all I can think about is Quarter Pies and THT subs.

That is, when I am not actually listening to my LaScalas!

IMG_1498.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JMON said:

What about TADs?

Roy's made settings for the TAD's when using a passive or DX-38 active.  I don't know that he's used any other active.

According to the attached, each processor will sound a little different.  If that's accurate, then that means Roy would need to get a processor from anyone that's not using one he's already curved....and then the driver...  

Personally, (having swapped my DX out for a Xilica) I'd like him to make some profiles....that said, I also understand that he can't keep spinning his wheels when someone comes along and says "I have a Smithtown driver for my K402 and a Wigglewam active crossover.....  Roy, can you figure out my curves??"

He's got to draw the line somewhere.

Side note, I don't have any technical expertise to suggest the attached is accurate or a pile of crap.  It makes sense to me after reading it but then, my wife sometimes makes sense when she's explaining how she sees something.  Once I clear my head I sometimes stop and think HUH???  :blink:

Maybe we can suggest to Roy a "Curvey Weekend".....no, no no.....this is not a weekend of scantily clad women running around....  each individual can bring his driver and active to Hope and we can curve and criss cross curves to build a library.....

Of course, my hunch of that happening is pretty small...  (it would however, be fun!)

TwoProcessors.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I'm a big Biamp fan.  With the release of their Tesira line a few years ago it means that a lot of Nexia and Audia systems are being pulled out and replaced.  Because of that a LOT of Nexias and Audias are showing up on eBay for less than $100.  Biamp is super easy to program and set up and I would be glad to help with anyone who needs some assistance.  

I also would be glad to build the basic "Roy approved" settings into both a Nexia file and Audia file if someone could give me the settings in order to create the files.

I'm not actively trying to sell them, but I have TWO Biamp Nexia units that I'm not using right now.  I have thought about some potential uses, but for now they are just sitting on the shelf.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2017 at 9:51 PM, JMON said:

What about TADs?

I too would be interested in Xilica settings for the TAD and I believe there are a number of us that use this driver. 

I have a extra TAD that I am not currently using in my system, I'd be willing to send it in to Roy for testing if that could be arranged.

Joe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2017 at 7:05 AM, Coytee said:

Nothing wrong with the Dx38 in my opinion.  Side benefit (unless he's changed), it's the same unit Roy uses so any profiles he sends out will mate well with it.

I like my Dx38, now that I've adjusted to the Jubilee sound. It took me a while, after listening to Heritage (LS 1's)for so long. I'm a little disappointed the Jubilee gang, has embraced the Xilica actives. I have nothing made in China in my system, and plan on keeping it that way.

Wigglewam, would be a great name for a fishing lure, tho...

• Like 1

You seem to imply from your entry above that Xilica is a Chinese firm.  It's Canadian, headquartered in Toronto.  The Xilicas sound very good, indeed.

• Like 1

I ended up with switching from a Dx38 to a Xilica  XP-4080 and could not be more satisfied.

As Chris just mentioned, Xilica is a Canadian company, that gave me great customer service both before and after I purchased my 4080.

As for Electra Voice, I am still waiting for a response to my several email questions to their customer service department.

Mind you it has only been since Feb. 2017, so maybe EV is just backed up a bit. :rolleyes:

Both the DX38 and XP-4080 will do the trick, I prefer the Xilica.

• Like 1