Klipsch Jubilees and Roy's brand new Xilica Settings

Trentster5172

It's hard to not have things from China when talking about electronics.  You may not even know.  Components, wire, boards, enclosures, hardware, molded horns, even some Klipsch parts and speakers are made there.

You may think there is nothing in your system from China.............

By the way +1 on the Xilica.  A+++++

• Like 2

I don't even know what DSP could be bought that isn't made overseas either in China or some other Asian nation.  Pretty sure Ashly is although it may be Japan, new ElectroVoice stuff as well I believe, most every amp with built in DSP's that are easily programmable are the same way, the new Klipsch amps are for sure... what similar DSP is out there that is made in the US or Canada?  

31 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

It's hard to not have things from China when talking about electronics.  You may not even know.  Components, wire, boards, enclosures, hardware, molded horns, even some Klipsch parts and speakers are made there.

By the way +1 on the Xilica.  A+++++

I fear its far more than electronics. I've read in more than one article that the Great American Motrocycle, HD, has more Chineese content than the US made Honda Goldwing? True-false, who knows but its difficult to touch any product without an Asian influence?

10 hours ago, mark1101 said:

No component in my system says, " Made in China ".  I know my Crown amps, ect. may have parts made in China or other places. It certainly doesn't stop me from trying... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

what similar DSP is out there that is made in the US or Canada?  

All the Ashly's I looked at on Ebay, said Made in USA right on the back. Not sure about new ones, tho.  I just believe in buying from the USA and our allies, and not our adversaries. That's all. Wasn't trying to make a big deal about it, it's just something I believe in...

• Like 1

Contrary to your information (which you have thus far neglected to identify the source), my Xilica DSP crossover clearly says that it is "designed and engineered in Canada"--and nothing internally indicates otherwise.  I.e., the onus has shifted.  It seems that discussing provenance probably has another intent:  a distraction from an otherwise good discussion.  These really are extremely good crossovers.

Chris

+ 1 for Xilica

Was looking to go passive on the Jubilees but @Chief bonehead convinced me active is the way to go , so went with the Xilica from @MetropolisLakeOutfitters and must say it was the best choice for me. I am continually amazed at how this system sounds. I'm now one of those people that thinks, all day, about getting home to my stereo.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ole Dollar said:

+ 1 for Xilica

Was looking to go passive on the Jubilees but @Chief bonehead convinced me active is the way to go , so went with the Xilica from @MetropolisLakeOutfitters and must say it was the best choice for me. I am continually amazed at how this system sounds. I'm now one of those people that thinks, all day, about getting home to my stereo.

As I recall, a Dope From Hope paper specifically explained why active bi-amping was not an improvement with Klipsch speakers.  Clearly PWK was not referring to Jubilees at the time.  Nonetheless, it’s worth noting that @Chief bonehead is not so bound by the DFH bible as to prevent progress.  I suspect PWK would agree if he were still with us.

• Klipsch Employees

It is not that I am not bound by what paul wrote in the dope from hope. It is that I am bound to paul principles. Back then active crossover are not today's crossovers. And paul was never one to deny advancements in tech. When I started working for paul he was 82 years old. And believe me he was not set in his ways when it came to audio. He was working on the effects of steep slope filters when I met paul. And paul HAD to give his blessing when I started playing with tractrix. I wanted that blessing. And he was convinced of the acoustical advantages of tractrix over exponential or any other curve of the day. That told me that paul certainly was looking to use advantages of what new tech was out there or what we could come up with. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hi Roy,

Just curious, were you around when Bruce Edgar presented the tractrix horns for PK's inspection? I believe variations of these ended up in the Forte II and Chorus II.

I enjoyed my Jubilees. If anything irritated me at all, it was that they rendered 90% of my source material unlistenable.

34 minutes ago, Deang said:

If anything irritated me at all, it was that they rendered 90% of my source material unlistenable.

The majority of my old rock and roll sounds good on my JBL 4311 monitors in my living room. Not so good on my LaScalas...  But well recorded music of any genre sounds superb!

Bruce

• Klipsch Employees
5 hours ago, Deang said:

Hi Roy,

Just curious, were you around when Bruce Edgar presented the tractrix horns for PK's inspection? I believe variations of these ended up in the Forte II and Chorus II.

I enjoyed my Jubilees. If anything irritated me at all, it was that they rendered 90% of my source material unlistenable.

Hey Deano.

How is you doing buddy?

No I wasn't. The first time I met dr Edgar was in paul office. Paul explained to dr Edgar what I was up to (looking for multi equation combos like those used to make cd horns but trying not to have so many of the bad traits) and dr Edgar said he would send me an article he did on paul bought and tractrix. 

And no, variations didn't end up in forte ii, etc. those where home grown by my horn program that I wrote to design the tractrix horns. 

On follow up visit, I showed dr Edgar data and he didn't think the tractrix horn could be manipulated to control coverage. 

On the Jubs, I explained to you how to make your music sound better. Chris A has taken that to next umpteen levels. 

Take care deano

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Deang said:

In everything that I see people spending any effort on, if they have a choice in the matter, it's usually dissatisfaction that drives all of their activities.  Satisfied people usually spend their time on other things that they''re not satisfied with.

So in your quoted sentence above, you identify some fraction of your music that you find "unlistenable".  My percentage of late of "marginally listenable" recordings now is more like 95-99% for CDs (...I don't bother with phonographs nowadays, for the reason given below...).  Multichannel discs, like SACDs, DVD-As, and BDs usually are very good right out of the sleeve.  It's the people and their culture doing two-channel CDs and vinyl which seems to be the issue--not the loudspeakers or the other electronics, etc.

So in typical fashion, when I found a way to address my dissatisfaction with what I was listening to on CDs, I started to correct the tracks (using freeware).  The results were spectacular (to my ears...on the dialed-in Jubs).  So I kept fixing all my CD music tracks.  All the fixed CD tracks blow away any of the phonograph record versions now...and I mean "blow them away" emphatically.  I really can't listen to the distribution vinyl discs or CDs anymore.

I'm still fixing CDs--all those "old" CDs from 15+ years ago.  They are actually diamonds-in-the-rough (and I know that you've probably read about some of these findings, so I'll stop here).  Now I've got a pair of USB HDs that I keep my edited tracks on (one is for backup and the garage system) since I've fixed over 10K tracks to date.  I don't listen to the original CDs, only the demastered flac files.  If you were here listening with me, I know that you'd prefer the fixed versions by a wide margin, too.  It's not close.  Now, the only tracks that I don't like listening to are the ones from the 60s and early 70s that the recording quality was trashed when they were recorded.  But even those are now interesting to hear from time to time--albeit in fixed format. 

So Jubilees aren't the issue--they're actually the enablers.  They enabled me to finally hear my favorite music tracks with all that extra "mastering" largely subtracted from the equation.  My wife has actually cried while listening to her old favorites now freed from their "one size fits all" mastering shackles that she's lived with during her entire lifetime.  I have to say that I'm still amazed by what I hear each time I listen to them.

Chris

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chris A said:

In everything that I see people spending any effort on, if they have a choice in the matter, it's usually dissatisfaction that drives all of their activities.  Satisfied people usually spend their time on other things that they''re not satisfied with.

So in your quoted sentence above, you identify some fraction of your music that you find "unlistenable".  My percentage of late of "marginally listenable" recordings now is more like 95-99% for CDs (...I don't bother with phonographs nowadays, for the reason given below...).  Multichannel discs, like SACDs, DVD-As, and BDs usually are very good right out of the sleeve.  It's the people and their culture doing two-channel CDs and vinyl which seems to be the issue--not the loudspeakers or the other electronics, etc.

So in typical fashion, when I found a way to address my dissatisfaction with what I was listening to on CDs, I started to correct the tracks (using freeware).  The results were spectacular (to my ears...on the dialed-in Jubs).  So I kept fixing all my CD music tracks.  All the fixed CD tracks blow away any of the phonograph record versions now...and I mean "blow them away" emphatically.  I really can't listen to the distribution vinyl discs or CDs anymore.

I'm still fixing CDs--all those "old" CDs from 15+ years ago.  They are actually diamonds-in-the-rough (and I know that you've probably read about some of these findings, so I'll stop here).  Now I've got a pair of USB HDs that I keep my edited tracks on (one is for backup and the garage system) since I've fixed over 10K tracks to date.  I don't listen to the original CDs, only the demastered flac files.  If you were here listening with me, I know that you'd prefer the fixed versions by a wide margin, too.  It's not close.  Now, the only tracks that I don't like listening to are the ones from the 60s and early 70s that the recording quality was trashed when they were recorded.  But even those are now interesting to hear from time to time--albeit in fixed format. 

So Jubilees aren't the issue--they're actually the enablers.  They enabled me to finally hear my favorite music tracks with all that extra "mastering" largely subtracted from the equation.  My wife has actually cried while listening to her old favorites now freed from their "one size fits all" mastering shackles that she's lived with during her entire lifetime.  I have to say that I'm still amazed by what I hear each time I listen to them.

Chris

How do I do this?

I've recently gotten questions from others like yours.  I've put together a couple of introductory pdf tutorials that you can find at the beginning of this thread:

I need to complete some YouTube tutorials on the various aspects of the process (that I've talked about doing for some time)--rather than just putting everything into pdf files.   I'm planning to continue that in the near future (after I complete MEH fab work for my setup).  Bite-sized pieces works really well.  Like many pursuits, what looks to be complicated is actually more like riding a bike or skiing. Once you get launched, it's self-directed learning.

Chris

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chris A said:

I've recently gotten questions from others like yours.  I've put together a couple of introductory pdf tutorials that you can find at the beginning of this thread:

I need to complete some YouTube tutorials on the various aspects of the process (that I've talked about doing for some time)--rather than just putting everything into pdf files.   I'm planning to continue that in the near future (after I complete MEH fab work for my setup).  Bite-sized pieces works really well.  Like many pursuits, what looks to be complicated is actually more like riding a bike or skiing. Once you get launched, it's self-directed learning.

Chris

Thank you Chris. Fascinating and very helpful.

I look forward to your YouTube tutorials and please inform me when you get them done.

It's a shame about recordings being mixed and sent out in that lacking manner by the music industry. Especially when you put all the time and money in a good audio system and music collection to find out how bad recordings are being sent out. You give me hope. I have a lot of CDs that don't sound that good and your method will change them to sound as good as they should sound.

Has anyone tried to do the crossover with Audiovero Acourate? It's software DSP that generates a convolution filter that you add to a convolution engine that would be in the software music player like JRiver, Foobar2000, etc.

A couple of links for those interested:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/ca-academy/acourate-digital-room-and-loudspeaker-correction-software-walkthrough/

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/ca-academy/Advanced-Acourate-Digital-XO-Time-Alignment-Driver-Linearization-Walkthrough/

I suggest reading the bottom link on using it for a digital crossover after reading the first link.

There is also a very helpful Yahoo usergroups message group where the designer is very active.

I have heard it in a fully active system and was stunned at the difference in imaging and overall gain in coherence. Sort of switched me from being one of those guys that thought about the small things to the things that made huge eye opening differences.

• 1 year later...
On 9/18/2017 at 5:38 PM, dtel's wife said:

Guess we need to get a map together of Jub owners so folks can audition them!  Same thing some say about MWM/402. 

I think MWMs/402s fit in rather good here!  Almost forgot... @CECAA850 you have visited this room 

IMG_3459.JPG

I think this would be a great idea!  Especially since I’m a Jubilee newbie! 

AB6D2D82-5336-4440-BE7F-F783D00E04FD.jpeg