Subwoofer/Speaker Delay.....

SWL

It's been quite a while since I've had an AVR and I'm pretty foggy on how I used to use the delays.

Now, I have a two-channel setup and I'm able to use my DEQ 2496 to delay the mains. I've found that I prefer to not delay the mains at all in my room.

I would like to experiment with delaying the subs behind the mains. I'll have to get another gizmo to be able to do this (it will not be an AVR) and was wondering if anyone here does this with any success.

If this makes no sense at all let me know. I just know that in my room, delaying the mains degrades the sound quality in my room. So I thought I might try delaying the subs instead.

Thanks. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I just realized that I should be able to use the DEQ 2496 that I already have to be able to do this. So I should be able to try this sooner rather than later.

Would still like some opinions on this. In particular, is this an option when using the Mini-DSP?

Sub delays make a big difference.  With measurements u can get it exactly right but for someone with a good ear like u im sure you can do well.  Subs are almost always delayed unless mains are further and even in those situations it still may need delay.  Avsforum has an amazing tutorial google mtg90 integrating multiple subs and mains....doing what he said for the subs made a huge difference...it can be 15db increased output at the crossover.  Avrs are poor at sub distances ime

• Like 1

Thanks Rob. I'll check out mtg90 over at AVS.

In the meantime, I just hooked it up so that I was able to delay the subs, rather than the mains through the DEQ2496.

Same story. I much prefer no delay one way or the other in my room. When the mains and the subs are the same distance, everything just locks right in. It was fun experimenting though.

On 9/17/2017 at 8:18 AM, SWL said:

If this makes no sense at all let me know. I just know that in my room, delaying the mains degrades the sound quality in my room. So I thought I might try delaying the subs instead.

Just thinking out loud here, but technically speaking usually your subs are already delayed.  Usually inside of the receiver you control the delays by setting the distance.  The sub often ends up around 2.5 to 5 feet further than it really is to be in phase due to delay from the DSP on the sub amp, delay from any ports, things like that.  Even if they are right next to each other it will not be the same distance in the AVR, or at least should not be.  That would end up being a difference of around 3-5 milliseconds and the mains need to be delayed that much to be in phase. 

So no, delaying the sub even more to accommodate for a delayed sub doesn't make the most sense to me. :)  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2017 at 7:36 PM, Chief bonehead said:

Delaying a sub??  What is the wavelength of 80Hz?

Are we talking about two different things?  If you don't delay the mains to match the sub you can get a big fat null at the crossover point.  I've got a screenshot somewhere showing 0.1 foot increments in the sub distance which slowly turned a chasm of death into a smooth response.  

Are you still running KLF30s and horn subs?  If you are, you would want to delay the mains a distance equal to the sub horn's length.  Delaying my DR subs "3 feet" vs my La Scalas gave me a little more focus/smoothness. 

To the chief's point, 80 Hz is 14 feet.  Nearly pointless at that frequency, but unless you have unusually steep crossover slopes, you'll be getting some 200 Hz out of the sub.  200 Hz is 5.67 feet.  Half is 2.8 feet.  What was the length of that bass horn??!  :D

• Like 1

The horn throat in the THTLP is either 11' or 13'......I can't remember exactly. So, I tried delaying the 30's at all kinds of distances but 11-13' was in the back of my mind.

No matter what I tried, no delay always sounded best/right.

In fact, we got rained out today so......I just got home from HD with some concrete cinder blocks so I can raise up my THTLP'S closer to the ceiling.

They're in a corner and the mouth is 2.5 feet from the ceiling. With the concrete blocks as a base, I'll be raising them up so that the mouth will be 18" from the ceiling.

Been putting this off for a while so I'm anxious to see if anything will be gained.

.....the real upgrade was tweaking the KLF-30 at a 45 degree angle. Sounds so much better this way. The sound is liquid. So much more detail. So much more...everything. Just gotta tilt yer head a little.[emoji14] 1724c31f990df4eec255b52e00ef6577.jpg

3 hours ago, John Albright said:

Are you still running KLF30s and horn subs?  If you are, you would want to delay the mains a distance equal to the sub horn's length.  Delaying my DR subs "3 feet" vs my La Scalas gave me a little more focus/smoothness. 

To the chief's point, 80 Hz is 14 feet.  Nearly pointless at that frequency, but unless you have unusually steep crossover slopes, you'll be getting some 200 Hz out of the sub.  200 Hz is 5.67 feet.  Half is 2.8 feet.  What was the length of that bass horn??!  :D

Tuning is 22 Hz on the THT series subs if you care to do the math. 13 Ft something but don't quote me.

I have mine low passed at 45 Hz and the sub rolls off quickly at 95 Hz or so with the crossover at 90 Hz.

2 hours ago, SWL said:

In fact, we got rained out today so......I just got home from HD with some concrete cinder blocks so I can raise up my THTLP'S closer to the ceiling.

They're in a corner and the mouth is 2.5 feet from the ceiling. With the concrete blocks as a base, I'll be raising them up so that the mouth will be 18" from the ceiling.

Been putting this off for a while so I'm anxious to see if anything will be gained.

If i recall you end up with a huge null in the frequency response if the sub is placed further than 2 Ft away from a boundary (s).

• Like 1

This summer I built a pair of THTLP's, which I'll try to integrate with my La Scala II's.  As to determine delays, does anybody know the exact length of the horn path of a La Scala bass bin?

The THTLP's (24,5 in wide) will be firing towards the ceiling, boundary distance will be 18,5 inches.

• Like 1