Leben cs300xs with Heresy III. Anyone? another option?

Ajimenez

Hi,

I'm going to buy a new Heresy III for my living room (25m2). I use to listen soul, jazz, soulful house and some lo-fi pop. I'm new with tubes and I tasted Heresy with a Cambridge Audio and with a Leben and there's no comparison... But I don't know if Leben it's too much for these speakers, it cost much more than them.

Any opinion?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

My '77 vintage Heresys sound awesome driven from an MP-301 MK3 SET Class A amp with it's PRC-made 6L6G equivalents pushing out 6.5 Wpc. My nearly square BR-turned-office of 12 square meters gets plenty loud for me, too. My source is either a CDP (Onkyo C-7030) or the line output from a Lowe HF-225 Communicatons Receiver, using it's 10 kHz BW and DSB AM Synchronous Detection for the lowest distortion on local AM broadcast band and short-wave stations alike. Shortwave propagation makes weird propagation induced sounds whether slowly fading for a nearer station, like WRMI 9,395 kHz Miami, FL, on now, or faster/deeper fades, like RNZI 7,425 kHz Wellington, NZ this morning - half a world away. The DSB synchronous detection wasn't available in the vacuum tube radio era - and the VT amp drives the 12" LF speaker to sane levels while the midrange 'squaucker' horn takes care of the majority of the rest of the sound as the radio is BW limited to demodulated frequencies below ~ 5 kHz. The best of both worlds!

Of course, throw the switch to the CDP and Judy Collins, Linda Ronstadt, Bonnie Raitt, Dire Straits, James Taylor all sound great, too. So clear - you can even pick out different instruments - as if suspended in air - and my lovely 50 Wpc (Class AB) Emotiva A-100 BasX amp, my previous standard, just won't do it! And... I did it on a budget: Lowe receiver - $525 shipped Ebay; Heresys - $375 C.L. (80 mi round trip); MP-301 amp - $425 inc s/h from PRC and spare EL34B's; Onkyo C-7030 CDP - $150 (Amazon);   $375 for RF Pro-1a loop antenna in attic; $125 misc cables. Total: $2,000 - about half that for just the audio gear... more like $2,600 for the amp, CDP, and new Heresy iii's! It's the best sounding stereo I've owned! I recently bought a JBL SUB 550P ($189!!) to use with the Heresys...

16 hours ago, Stainz said:

My '77 vintage Heresys sound awesome driven from an MP-301 MK3 SET Class A amp with it's PRC-made 6L6G equivalents pushing out 6.5 Wpc.

Just to clarify a point, the amp is not a SET.  It is not possible to get that kind of power (and claimed THD of only 1%) from a triode strapped 6L6.  It has to be running as a pentode with either global or local negative feedback.  If you start a new thread about it we can discuss it in more detail.  

Apologies to the OP for intruding.  And, by the way, you can never go wrong buying a Leben amp!

Maynard

Not to belabor the point re the MP-301 being a SET or SEP, but pin 3 (P)  and pin 4 (SG) of the 6P3P (~6L6G) have a resistance of 280 Ohm between them. Seems a bit high for an ultra linear tap, but I certainly don't know. Garry, Mr.  M-P, has yet to answer either of my e-mails. I do like the amp!

11 hours ago, Stainz said:

Not to belabor the point re the MP-301 being a SET or SEP, but pin 3 (P)  and pin 4 (SG) of the 6P3P (~6L6G) have a resistance of 280 Ohm between them. Seems a bit high for an ultra linear tap, but I certainly don't know. Garry, Mr.  M-P, has yet to answer either of my e-mails. I do like the amp!

That value suggests pentode operation for sure (you couldn't get 6.5W running the tube ultralinear).  Please start a new thread after you hear from Garry as the myth of that amp being a SET is prevalent.

Maynard

This is a actual directly heated single ended triode amplifier. The amplifier is configured for 2A3, which is a triode tube with 3 elements, the filament/cathode is directly heated with 2.5 volts AC. This is the classic SET amplifier topology, not a triode strapped pentode or beam tube topology.

I would guess the MP-301 is a pentode configured single ended amplifier, which can take a whole slew of indirectly heated power octals. Being a convertible type of amplifier with respect to tube types, I really doubt it's triode strapped amplifier. 

Nothing wrong with that, it leaves more "tube rolling" options to configure a sound best to one's ears. Seems a nice well built product for the money.

I just wanted to make a clarification to the difference between a SEP and SET amplifier.

post-4542-0-12000000-1451172160_thumb.jpg