Jubs clones gets top hats

justinsweber

13 minutes ago, jwc said:

Thing to do here....send your wife to a spa....

Then sneak them in and setup as best you can for looks.

Then go to the BMW dealership and get her a white BMW.

Works every time.

jc

So then the question is - what model does she drive? And how many have you bought? Smart husband, lucky wife --

And I'm not letting my wife see this thread --

The jobs are the clear winner by a long margin. Id actually give the heresys the runner up. The La Scalsa are fantastic but the heresy do so much and are so small in comparison. 

There was nothing wrong or lacking with the Jobs... large complete soundstage, treble floating and bass deep and full. They are as close to a perfect speaker as Ive heard.

There size is my only issue.... really too big for my home. Having seen the mountain top I will have to settle for a lower peak.

She has a G37. She did the whole sit me down and discussed the over abundance of horn loaded speakers. 

My own Cornscalas (2pair get to stay.) The Heresy's do as well. I did the whole sales pitch for the daughter in a few years to use.

The La Scala and Jubs lost  this battle so the remaining could thrive. 

No gifts were going to win her over on the jubs. I have a dedicated listen room with 2 alcoves. but they are too wide to fit in. the room is 12x10 and as such they would pert rude in too much. 

Ive said this earlier, but it still remains true. I have never heard a finer speaker. 

Hey Justin,

Your math is a little off.  Parallel woofers gets +6 dB (+3 for 2x area & +3 for 2x current/power (1/2 impedance)).  I don't know how much for the horn, but I'd expect 106 to 108 dB overall. 

The look is just Awesome, though!

• Klipsch Employees
On September 17, 2017 at 8:39 PM, justinsweber said:

So my clone Jubs came out of finishing today.

Almost ready to play again.

These are clones wernt made by me. I did tear them down to wood again, reglued the doghouse and resealed her. 

The Crites 12" woofers (K22/K24 compatibles) were bolted back into place and I remade a new wiring harness. 

There are doghouse doors on top and bottom. The top door now holds the binding posts and there is a corresponding hole cut into the top hat.

ALK was kind enough to revist his ESN500 for Jubs and redid simulations. 

The project came with the Fastlane Eliptrac 400 and Faital HF200s so they were reused. 

The horn is fully glued in likely will never be removed again. 

I had to head to work before I could finish this. I love the look. Instead of looking like a science project, she now looks mighty respectable. 

I do have access to the famous 223 tratrix but the increased size and need for 3way operation dissuaded me. 

Deep down my favorite systems are 2way and this is the summit for that use.

My wife has threatened to end me if I try to bring them in the house, but life without risk is boring .

FullSizeRender[1].jpg

FullSizeRender[2].jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

It's NOT a jub. Name it what you want but it's not a jub. 

• Like 1

So, when is not a Klipsch?

Stephens P52LX2

Stephens 103LX2

EV 15 WK

Klipsch K-33-J

Klipsch K-33P

Klipsch K-33E

WE (Western Electric) 713A

Stephens P15

University SAHF

K-55-V (two versions)

K-51

K-55-M

University MID-T-4401

EV T-35

K-77

K-77M

etc.

During my tenure as an authorized Klipsch dealer I saw even more drivers than this show up from time-to-time.

43 minutes ago, djk said:

Stephens P52LX2

Stephens 103LX2

EV 15 WK

Klipsch K-33-J

Klipsch K-33P

Klipsch K-33E

Stephens P15

University SAHF

K-55-V (two versions)

K-51

K-55-M

University MID-T-4401

EV T-35

K-77

K-77M

etc.

During my tenure as an authorized Klipsch dealer I saw even more drivers than this show up from time-to-time.

Simple if it left the factory authorized by Klipsch with those drivers it's Klipsch because they said it was.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
14 hours ago, djk said:

Stephens P52LX2

Stephens 103LX2

EV 15 WK

Klipsch K-33-J

Klipsch K-33P

Klipsch K-33E

Stephens P15

University SAHF

K-55-V (two versions)

K-51

K-55-M

University MID-T-4401

EV T-35

K-77

K-77M

etc.

When klipsch says it's a klipsch. Pretty simple. 

• Like 1

I didn’t initially.  Didn’t think an issue. I described them as such in the narrative.  

Took them on as a rehab project. Although the IP for the Jub bass bin is not protected, I am not and was not trying to infringe.  I do think these modifications are pretty amazing and helped to complete my speaker. ALK now offers are redone/ revisited Jub ESN.  The HF extension is pretty remarkable with it.   Maybe someone with real Jubs will pair them up and we can hear it matted to the big 402 horn. I’d love to see the polars for both overplayed.  That would be fun.  I suspect the eliptrac wins on Hf ext with the passive nexteork. 

I think they are really cool regardless of what you want to call them. I have been contemplating building a pair myself and these are very inspiring. However the last thing I need is another project or huge pair of speakers. I would really like to try out a two way speaker. So tempting. Maybe over the winter. Maybe.

2 hours ago, justinsweber said:

I didn’t initially.  Didn’t think an issue. I described them as such in the narrative.  

Took them on as a rehab project. Although the IP for the Jub bass bin is not protected, I am not and was not trying to infringe.  I do think these modifications are pretty amazing and helped to complete my speaker. ALK now offers are redone/ revisited Jub ESN.  The HF extension is pretty remarkable with it.   Maybe someone with real Jubs will pair them up and we can hear it matted to the big 402 horn. I’d love to see the polars for both overplayed.  That would be fun.  I suspect the eliptrac wins on Hf ext with the passive nexteork. 

Justin, you think the eliptrac as shown with your Jube clone bins and ALK passives will show a better high frequency response than Klipsch Jubes/402 with Crites passives such as mine? You're saying that eliptrac will perform better than the 402? Overall? Just hi-freq extension? This is difficult to accept ---

I’ve only heard a 402 as active. I do know they are some anomalies hat are addressed in EQing. The pro guys could answer... I wouldn’t know.  I’m a passive guy.  I like not having active and the polars on the eliptrac don’t require eq.  Does JWC or DrWho have their old measurements?

Subjectively, was the K402 a bigger sound, Yes!

was the eliptrac a perfectly balanced sound, yes I thought so.  More so then when used in my own cornscalas based projects. The Eliptrac was monsteriously large in my room. I’m sure in larger rooms the k402 would have been a better choice. 

Perhaps a Jub bass bin and K510 vs Jub bass bin and eliptrac would be a better compairiaon?

13 hours ago, justinsweber said:

I’ve heard both. I have my own thoughts but let’s get some measurements. ;-). 

The 402 may sound bigger but the 402 needs Eq. 

This is were many have a misunderstanding.

The K402 is not what requires the EQ for the most part it is the requirement of the driver driving the horn.  The K402 on axis response is achieved by electrically EQing the driver either actively or passively to achieve a target response on axis and because of this particular horns excellent design the accuracy is maintained throughout it's constant coverage area.

The need to EQ the driver is also true for horns that collapse their polars because you are manipulating(ie: EQing the polars) as well as electrically to compensate for the driver's response to achieve the target on axis response. The inaccuracy of this method is it's tonal balance changes much more abruptly as you move off axis and any listeners that are off axis will hear a different tonal balance versus the on-axis listener and there is no compensation possible to correct for this.

Over it's designed bandwidth the K402 treats all frequencies equally more so than any horn I'm aware of. The proof of this fact is in the polar plots that have been posted many times on this forum and in the listening experience were as the listener moves around in the coverage field the tonal balance is maintained very close to the on axis sound.

Horns that collapse their polar response with frequency are the very definition of coloring the sound whether intentionally or not and the proof of this fact can easily be demonstrated to the listener has he moves off axis. It should come as no surprise that these type of horns can sound pleasing as evidenced by many examples of past klipsch designed horns as well as other manufacture's horns.

miketn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1