Which speaker is appropriate for my room??

Rkansas11

Greetings fellow Klipsch fans.  I was hoping to get opinion on which Klipsch would be appropriate for this room.  It is for 2 channel music.  No TV or theater etc.  The room is 14 feet 10 inches wide.  It is 25 feet long and the sitting area is about in the middle and maybe closer to the front (where the speakers would be).  The ceiling is 10 feet high and a mix of old painted headboard and this odd pressed tin in the back of the room.  At the front of the room there is a bay window that juts out and to either side of this bay window there are two corners but the width is likely about three feet before you get to the bay window.  Grew up with Klipsch and want to likely get back to the heritage line.  Initially thought about the RF7 ii or iii but likely want heritage.  I am going to try to include a picture here of the front of the room.  Can I put Klipschorn's in the corners or are they too narrow.  I read the literature and they recommend 48 inches width before "construction" but I wasn't sure if that was talking about indentation of a bay window etc.  Is there a benefit to a sealed back Klipschorn like the anniversary models in this scenario?  Any thoughts?IMG_1869.thumb.JPG.cb7c37ab4cc7eb9f2fe2a8de2f67fd63.JPG

wow, beautiful room. lots of character. I have & love cornwalls but a room that size lascalla's would be great too. room size not a problem for khorns but possible complications if you want to place speakers on either side of the bay window (which would be best layout to use the dimensions of the room to your advantage, sonically speaking)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rkansas11 said:

Greetings fellow Klipsch fans.  I was hoping to get opinion on which Klipsch would be appropriate for this room.  It is for 2 channel music.  No TV or theater etc.  The room is 14 feet 10 inches wide.  It is 25 feet long and the sitting area is about in the middle and maybe closer to the front (where the speakers would be).  The ceiling is 10 feet high and a mix of old painted headboard and this odd pressed tin in the back of the room.  At the front of the room there is a bay window that juts out and to either side of this bay window there are two corners but the width is likely about three feet before you get to the bay window.  Grew up with Klipsch and want to likely get back to the heritage line.  Initially thought about the RF7 ii or iii but likely want heritage.  I am going to try to include a picture here of the front of the room.  Can I put Klipschorn's in the corners or are they too narrow.  I read the literature and they recommend 48 inches width before "construction" but I wasn't sure if that was talking about indentation of a bay window etc.  Is there a benefit to a sealed back Klipschorn like the anniversary models in this scenario?  Any thoughts?IMG_1869.thumb.JPG.cb7c37ab4cc7eb9f2fe2a8de2f67fd63.JPG

can you post a pic of the room...

standing in front of the Windows ?

4 hours ago, Rkansas11 said:

Can I put Klipschorn's in the corners or are they too narrow.  I read the literature and they recommend 48 inches width before "construction" but I wasn't sure if that was talking about indentation of a bay window etc.  Is there a benefit to a sealed back Klipschorn like the anniversary models in this scenario?  Any thoughts?

My room is only 15.5' width, and that's quite sufficient for me.  You're only talking about 8" less, so I'd actually recommend Khorns for your room.  Your ceiling height is very good. 

One way to do the bass bins is to place the Khorns in the corners (against the side walls and in the stepped front wall section before the bay window opening)  with waferboard halves wedged between the side/front walls and the Khorns.  If you want to enclose the backs, that would also be doable.  Having a little bit more extension from the bass bin--like false corners--would help the low end. 

The other option is to use false corners, and your room would be a very good candidate for those. Then you can aim the Khorns farther downrange a bit than the mandatory 45 degree tow-in using existing side and front walls only.

Chris

Thanks for the replies so far.  I actually forgot to mention that the sitting area is focused on the bay window with the TV stand actually in the bay window area.  The speakers will be in the corners if I am able to pull off the Khorns and basically on either side of the TV stand if I go with something else.  It sounds crazy to fill up the bay window with stuff but the view out there is not that great anyway.

I unfortunately don't have any other pictures available right now (it is an old farmhouse way out in the country that we will use as a getaway etc) and we won't be back for a couple of weeks. Anyway the back of the rectangular room is a mess for speakers.  The two corners have doorways and there is a large double door in the middle of the back short wall if that makes any sense.  The back half of the ceiling looks some sort of New Orleans bar with he pressed tin plates.  Lively acoustically and will have to proceed with some sort of room treatments.

Thanks so far!

the smaller the room the more you will benefit from larger horns. The larger horn will control a wider bandwidth so far as directivity goes (extending lower than a smaller horn) in this way you will have less room interaction (which is what you want). In any situation larger horns are always your better option.

24 minutes ago, Rkansas11 said:

Thanks for the replies so far.  I actually forgot to mention that the sitting area is focused on the bay window with the TV stand actually in the bay window area.  The speakers will be in the corners if I am able to pull off the Khorns and basically on either side of the TV stand if I go with something else.  It sounds crazy to fill up the bay window with stuff but the view out there is not that great anyway.

I unfortunately don't have any other pictures available right now (it is an old farmhouse way out in the country that we will use as a getaway etc) and we won't be back for a couple of weeks. Anyway the back of the rectangular room is a mess for speakers.  The two corners have doorways and there is a large double door in the middle of the back short wall if that makes any sense.  The back half of the ceiling looks some sort of New Orleans bar with he pressed tin plates.  Lively acoustically and will have to proceed with some sort of room treatments.

Thanks so far!

Corners look small for K Horns.  Maybe Fortes would fit but blocking the window with a TV?

I think that a room needs to look and feel a certain way.  Back to the door is not comfortable (if the room is laid out as it appears to be)

If I had that room, I would put a TV that fits nicely above the fireplace (probably no more than 55") and walnut Belles on each side of the fireplace.  Change out the midrange horn and tweeters (a very reputable member here has everything that you need for sale) and you will have fantastic speakers. 

Would sound great and look beautiful in that room with those floors and the architecture. 

Tall skinny equipment rack on one side or the other of the window.

My 2 cents. 

Klipschorns.  See Chris A's post. 

Plant some bushes, trees outside the bay window at various distances, and park the car somewhere else??  If you can't park it somewhere else, build a rustic country garage to match the house, and plant bushes in front of it.  Think of the outside world visible from the bay window as a painting ... paint away.

The tin ceiling may actually contribute some nice, complex reverberation.  Give it a try.  You are fortunate to have a high ceiling, and that the livest part is in the back.  High ceilings are good with Khorns.  Your room proportions may actually fit within Bolt's polygon, a good thing.  Few do.

Since your room is long and wide and high enough, I can see the future .... a projector on a high rear shelf ... a retractable acoustically transparent screen (Seymour) that comes down in front of the bay window , extending from Khorn to Khorn ... a small but excellent center speaker mounted just above the window, in the center, of course ... since you wouldn't want to waste your projection bulb  (even if rated at 3,000 hours) on the TV news or Jeopardy, a TV that rises up out of the floor ...  

• Like 2

I hate blocking windows, regardless of the view.

As long as the Klipschorns don't extend beyond the wall termination toward the bay window or if you want the K's bad enough, then get them. Otherwise I think it will look odd.

Or I'd choose a speaker that either sits below the window sill (probably bookshelf speakers on stands, combined with a subwoofer tucked into the corner), or will tuck into that narrow wall on each side of the bay window.

Sometimes you have to compromise and work with the layout you have.

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but food for thought.

• Like 1

Actually the wife did not want the TV over the fireplace for some reason.  Can't remember why exactly.  And the area where we have to park is right outside the window and there is a huge A/C unit below and very visible close to the window.  AND in the afternoon and evening the sun sets right into that window and in the summers here in the South you really need to block all that heat etc (especially in a house this old).  But it allows me to place my chair centered for the TV and the speakers.  Fung Shui for the stereo or something like that.